• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

0.5 - 6% of Ryzen 5000 Processors Faulty

Associate
OP
We would have heard more about this by now. Seems like a hot load of nothing.

It's pretty bold making a thread titled "~2-6% of Ryzen 5000 Processors Faulty" based on one company's experience...
The upper estimate is based on one company’s estimate, the lower one is based on several companies’ estimates.

it could be a bad batch of CPU as many online pointed out, the fabrication node is the same as Zen 2. X570 boards have been succesfully used with Zen 2 with no reported issues such as this.
A bad batch (or technically two) that makes a lot a sense as a cause of the higher failure rate.

Unfortunately don't know anyone who has done big purchases of 5000 series CPUs.

From previous experiences of people building big render farms, etc. Intel CPUs have very low failure rate - to the point some setups didn't have a single obviously faulty CPU, some of the first Ryzen lines weren't so good through with a fair few failures especially with the 1700(X) but the 2000 series has been pretty much the same as Intel.

That definitely seems more in line with what I've seen than 2%. In this article @smilingcrow provided, PowerGPU suggest they've only had a single properly DOA Intel chip.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just saw this on Reddit, based on mindfactory.de data so fairly large dataset... puts overall rma rate at around 0.5% - better than 3000 series.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMD_Stock/...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

did you read the comment

I am sorry, but this is absolutely worthless data as it only show RMA's to Mindfactory.de during the return period, and not people that purchased from mindfactory.de and RMA'd directly to AMD. Which is where the overwhelming majority of people will RMA as Mindfactory.de only allows returns for 15 days after purchase.

Soldato
15 days after purchase should catch the majority of DOA though?

If they are saying better than 3000 series, wouldn't the same bias apply making the comparison fair?

Soldato
There weren’t any comments when I saw it, so no lol... useful distinction if correct but I disagree it makes it “worthless”

Last edited:
Soldato

I see, its corpse is at the bottom of that thread buried under downvotes.

It's been said so I'll just copy what got said:

tmp.png

It's an EU company you guarantee your products as non defective for 2 years, what's he on about with this 15 day lark.

The closest I can find is legally being able to return within 2 weeks if you didn't like the taste or colour or couldn't resell it for a profit.

But if it's defective it's two years. So he's just wrong.

Soldato
This guy says it was the motherboards causing the problems.

"The CPU wasn’t dead on arrival, though. Instead, it caused repeated “Blue Screen of Death” crashes on the two separate B550 motherboards from Asus and MSI I tried the processor on. The errors were so bad they disabled the M.2 NVME SSD drives on both motherboards, preventing the PC from booting up Windows 10. (I later tried an older Ryzen 3600X chip on my rig, and my system worked fine.)

https://uk.pcmag.com/processors/131762/if-you-buy-an-amd-ryzen-5000-cpu-make-sure-you-keep-the-box

Soldato
Several large OEM have been asked about Zen 3 RMA. None of them indicate RMA rate is high and almost all said RMA rate is under 2%

Associate
MY first 5800x was a dodgy chip. Ryzen Master wouldn't show anything in the cores section, would get bsod full reboot WHEA errors with everything on stock no matter which bios revision I had. In the latest bios the Curve Optimizer section is available in 2 different bios menus, OC and Settings but one showed 6 cores and one showed 8!

Returned that one to the rainforest company and bought a replacement from OCUK, this one has been flawless. All cores show, PBO works correctly, curve optimizer works, no WHEA errors ever since.

There's definitely some dodgy chips out there

Associate
MY first 5800x was a dodgy chip. Ryzen Master wouldn't show anything in the cores section, would get bsod full reboot WHEA errors with everything on stock no matter which bios revision I had. In the latest bios the Curve Optimizer section is available in 2 different bios menus, OC and Settings but one showed 6 cores and one showed 8!

Returned that one to the rainforest company and bought a replacement from OCUK, this one has been flawless. All cores show, PBO works correctly, curve optimizer works, no WHEA errors ever since.

There's definitely some dodgy chips out there

Your CPU was Fine actually.
You just had a Failed 5950x with Dual CCD and one disabled. There is a new version of Ryzen master out to day which solves this Ryzen Master. I had the very same isssue with my 5600x I could see the cores or the speed in RM. Now I can.
2jrJ4E2.png

Google Dual CCD ryzen 5000

Associate
I wonder if the above and possibly a few other things (like how ryzen works race to sleep & high burst voltages) convinced a few people to return what they thought was faulty back to the shop.
Just like @KWJay did.

Classic AMD, not informing people about the dual CCD Chips at the start and not doing a better job explaining how they work.

Regardless,
I fully believe Mindfactory.de stats over PowerGPU

here they are
Ryzen 9 5900X at 3,300 sold units sold with RMA-rate of 0.34%

Ryzen 7 5800X at 10,750 units sold with RMA-rate of 0.56%.

Ryzen 5 5600X at 12,870 units sold with RMA-rate of 0.52%.

These are better than ryzen 3000
You can see for yourself https://www.mindfactory.de/ just find the product and check the bottom right of the screen, you may have to scroll.

Associate
I wonder if the above and possibly a few other things (like how ryzen works race to sleep & high burst voltages) convinced a few people to return what they thought was faulty back to the shop.
Just like @KWJay did.

Classic AMD, not informing people about the dual CCD Chips at the start and not doing a better job explaining how they work.

Regardless,
I fully believe Mindfactory.de stats over PowerGPU

here they are
Ryzen 9 5900X at 3,300 sold units sold with RMA-rate of 0.34%

Ryzen 7 5800X at 10,750 units sold with RMA-rate of 0.56%.

Ryzen 5 5600X at 12,870 units sold with RMA-rate of 0.52%.

These are better than ryzen 3000
You can see for yourself https://www.mindfactory.de/ just find the product and check the bottom right of the screen, you may have to scroll.

Lot of misinformation in todays media and people simply dont check facts when amd is winning and leader of cpus

Soldato
did you read the comment
That comment is nonsense. Mind factory like all retailers, the first year of any defect is with retailer. You deal with the retailer. After first year some manufacturer will be dealing with the returns. I believe even with AMD places like OCUK will act on your behave. The only time you really need to deal with AMD directly is if you bought CPU second hand or off auction sites provided they are genuine CPU.

almost all of the large retailers in this country provide full RMA services for you so you don’t have to deal with the likes of AMD for at least 1 year if not the full duration of the warranty period.

the 15day is just a period of grace for distance selling in case you changed your mind. That’s mandated by the consumer rights in this country and in EU to tackle the rise of e-commerce dating all the way back to early 2000s.

the bloke wrote that comment knows nothing, worthless opinion.

Back
Top Bottom