Census 2021

Soldato
Had nothing yet. I just fill it in and forget about it till the next time. Seen a few people posting on social media that they were going to write 'European' in the 'other' box though... :p

Soldato
Had nothing yet. I just fill it in and forget about it till the next time. Seen a few people posting on social media that they were going to write 'European' in the 'other' box though... :p
That is a bit 'other'. Considering that Great Britain and Northern Ireland have always and will continue to be European. Don't they mean EU citizen, which may be the case if they are a citizen of the 27 and are living here on that date.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
That is a bit 'other'. Considering that Great Britain and Northern Ireland have always and will continue to be European. Don't they mean EU citizen, which may be the case if they are a citizen of the 27 and are living here on that date.

The question was "how would you describe your national identity?" and it's a multiple-choice free question with an other box if you want.

I joined the bandwagon and went with British, English, and European - because I value multiculturalism and integration :p

Soldato
The question was "how would you describe your national identity?" and it's a multiple-choice free question with an other box if you want.

I joined the bandwagon and went with British, English, and European - because I value multiculturalism and integration :p
Thats my case, if you are British, you are also European. We have not moved to the Americas, Africa or Asia. Geography has not changed in a recent eon.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Thats my case, if you are British, you are also European. We have not moved to the Americas, Africa or Asia. Geography has not changed in a recent eon.

Yeah. There's quite a lot of people who think the EU is the same as Europe though, and that we're now not in "Europe" any more

I'd have probably ticked Earthling if it was an option too to be fair :p

Commissario
I can be 99.9% sure who will be in my house on census day. The only thing that will change that is if someone dies.

Having said that, we'll still do it on the designated day, or soon after.

I'm not filling ours in too far in advance, the way the last few years have been it feels like it would be tempting fate and we'd have the house burn down or something:p

Did a census take place in 2001? The reason I asked is because I was on a work placement and I rented a bedsit for the year. I don't recall filling in a census form and I don't think I knew what a census was back then.

In 2011, I had already bought my house by then and I filled it in and posted it off. The one question that did miff me though was: "who else stopped over at your house at this time?" I thought it's more relevant to state where you normally live, even if it was only the temporary bedsit that I lived in 2001 for a year or student digs for example. Covid and support bubbles aside, sleepovers for 1 or 2 nights at parents or at a friend's shouldn't be relevant should it?

Soldato
Covid and support bubbles aside, sleepovers for 1 or 2 nights at parents or at a friend's shouldn't be relevant should it?
It's because they also want to understand the movement of people, which areas get high numbers of visitors etc.

They'll likely get unrepresentative results this year but that's why they ask.

Are there any visitors staying overnight on 21 March 2021 at this address?
If you are completing the paper census questionnaire please use the paper census guidance.

Why we ask this question
The answers you give us about visitors help us to make sure we haven't missed anyone. Visitors from the UK should complete a form at their home. If they don't, they'll be missed from their local authority's population numbers, which affects how much money that authority receives from the government. By recording your visitors, you are helping us to make sure that the population counts for the country and for their local authority are as accurate as we can make them.

Local authorities also need information about visitors from the UK and from overseas. It shows them who is visiting their area so they can understand what services are needed. For example, in an area with high numbers of incoming visitors or students, local authorities may need to adjust their health and transport plans to cope with the extra demand.

These questions were first asked in 1801.

Yes - it's the one where people put Jedi as their religion.

I've heard of the Jedi religion joke / meme. Was 2001 the census when it started?

It's because they also want to understand the movement of people, which areas get high numbers of visitors etc.

They'll likely get unrepresentative results this year but that's why they ask.

Cheers. I also just realised about hotels, B&Bs and AirB&Bs, and what owners and travellers will need to declare? Also, what about hospitals if you're unfortunate enough to be in hospital (covid or otherwise)?

Soldato
is it actually a realistic possibility to be fined for not doing it?
Maybe, the question is. Is it worth the risk. If you really don't want to do it, just fill it in quickly without much care.

I wonder if people are going to have fun with gender this time round, and how many options will there be.

Back
Top Bottom