Socket A Duron Build Help

Soldato
so put the basics of my retro PC in case, motherboard , cpu, memory and GPU. I have setup all the jumpers correctly and i get a single long beep, pause then single long beep, and repeat. Is this a faulty or incompatible memory module. its a single DDR 512mb

0jFd2B4.jpg

Caporegime
Well, for starters that’s an SDR motherboard, not DDR, so I hope you haven’t forced a stick of DDR in there :p

Second, have you tried all the slots?

Thirdly, do you have any other sticks to test? SDRAM is getting old, I’ve got numerous sticks that have seemingly stopped working.

Also, you have cleared the CMOS I assume?

EDIT: Also that looks like a rather modern PSU. Slot A and Socket A were heavy on the 5v rail, is your modern PSU that is undoubtedly aimed at high 12v load able to sustain a high amperage on the 5v rail?

Soldato
OP
Well, for starters that’s an SDR motherboard, not DDR, so I hope you haven’t forced a stick of DDR in there :p

Second, have you tried all the slots?

Thirdly, do you have any other sticks to test? SDRAM is getting old, I’ve got numerous sticks that have seemingly stopped working.

Also, you have cleared the CMOS I assume?

EDIT: Also that looks like a rather modern PSU. Slot A and Socket A were heavy on the 5v rail, is your modern PSU that is undoubtedly aimed at high 12v load able to sustain a high amperage on the 5v rail?

Incorrect its both types.. 2x SDR 2x DDR

i have tried both slots

i have cleared CMOS

re PSU yes modern and no idea lol

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I have a Socket A board (Abit KR7A) that wouldn't boot using my modern PSU (Corsair RMI650 so plenty powerful enough). It has no -5v, but this shouldn't matter. I was going to try putting some 12v load on it to see if that helps.
It booted fine on an old PSU though

Soldato
OP
I have a Socket A board (Abit KR7A) that wouldn't boot using my modern PSU (Corsair RMI650 so plenty powerful enough). It has no -5v, but this shouldn't matter. I was going to try putting some 12v load on it to see if that helps.
It booted fine on an old PSU though

yeah i think i will get a an evercase one , ive ordered more ram anywa as its only £2 lol

Soldato
Probably the size of the memory is the issue at a guess. I can't say I've seen 512MB as a single stick in those era of computers, most was 256MB in multiples

Back
Top Bottom