Ph.D / Doctoral study - request for participants.

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date
Soldato
In some respects maybe. However, more survey responses = more data analysis - so it's swings and roundabout really.

Same with writing papers. 30 years ago, you could get away with maybe 10 - 20 references for a full length paper. Now, you wont get anywhere with less than 40. That's more reading, more annotating etc.

I actually looked at a couple of workload studies for Ph.D students recently and hours worked and publications produced have actually been increasing steadily over the last 25 years.

But sure, take any chance to get to denigrate anyone trying to better themselves, that's your normal MO. I'd really appreciate you not trashing a thread in which I'm asking for help.

What's your Ph.D in btw?

I thought it would have been best to meet and ask people ou want to know so much about?

I did not go for a Ph.D
I was to busy making money :)

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
I thought it would have been best to meet and ask people ou want to know so much about?

You do know we can't meet people right?

Semi structured interviews of say 10 participants plus a survey that targets more people is a perfectly acceptable way of conducting a study. Interviewing more than 10 people (for a single researcher) is very unusual due to the amount of work that involves (transcribing, encoding etc).

I did not go for a Ph.D

Ah, it's probably best that you stop sticking your nose into things you know nothing about then.

Soldato
Anyone that has any teaching responsibilities - qualified or unqualified - across any sector (primary, senior, FE or HE).
Well. Sounds like a nice idea.
Although, how many education establishments can afford virtual reality technology?

Also, as you are already probably aware, many educators either buy ready made resources or they make their own to suit their teaching style.

I can't see how a VR framework would aid me in creating teaching resources to teach my subject.

Anyway, I wish you good luck. I got as far as finishing my Masters and then decided I'd end my post graduation education there.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
Although, how many education establishments can afford virtual reality technology?

That's outside the scope of this study (as cost related issues commonly are in academic research). For example, there is a ton of educational research ongoing for the HoloLens and almost no one outside of Uni CS departments own any of those. Doesn't mean the research is pointless though as devices become cheaper over time - there was a time when the same comments could be made for computers within schools but look where we are now.

Having said that, I am also running an "in the wild" study with 19 schools (11 primaries, 8 secondaries), 3 FE colleges and 4 HE institutions that investigates mind mapping in VR - they all have their own VR headsets (Oculus Go's and Quests) so it's probably more prevalent than you think.

Also, as you are already probably aware, many educators either buy ready made resources or they make their own to suit their teaching style.

That's included in the survey - it includes questions about resource creation from scratch, in collaboration, re-use internally, sourced externally and various pedagogy related questions relating to teaching and learning styles.

I can't see how a VR framework would aid me in creating teaching resources to teach my subject.

It's not solely a VR framework, it's a general resource creation framework with specific recommendations for VR. Well, I hope that's going to be the case, I don't want to pre-empt the survey results. But in general, frameworks are there if someone decides the technology would be useful - it provides a set of guidelines and recommendations on how best to support and leverage the technology. It's perfectly fine for the technology not to be deemed useful for a specific area/sector.

Anyway, I wish you good luck. I got as far as finishing my Masters and then decided I'd end my post graduation education there.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
Many thanks to those who have volunteered - you should now have a message from me with details.

If anyone else wants to help, please don't be shy :)

Soldato
If anyone else wants to help, please don't be shy :)

I'm sure the missus will help out. She's a deputy head at a primary.

She went to look round a primary school last week for a job vacancy and they have a full suite with iMacs and VR headsets. I was surprised when she told me the kit they had. A far cry from her current school!

Soldato
I'm sure the missus will help out. She's a deputy head at a primary.

She went to look round a primary school last week for a job vacancy and they have a full suite with iMacs and VR headsets. I was surprised when she told me the kit they had. A far cry from her current school!

I'm always surprised at how well equipped some schools are in terms of tech. when I do outreach work.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
Anyone else sat at a loss reading this and what is he actually trying to achieve?
What is the end result going to be?

I'll expand on the initial description (although it's not really required for survey participation).

While there are lots of studies that investigate the educational benefits of technology for students (under the umbrella of 'Technology Enhanced Learning'), there is very little research looking at how teachers populate these tools with appropriate resources. Even if technology has benefits for the students, it's worthless if teachers cannot use it.

There are multiple pressures on educators when creating resources - time, whether it's topic or subject specific enough, if it can be used topic agnostically (mind mapping for example) etc. This is why repositories of resources exist - i.e. internally or externally. These are however often disjointed and do not provide a homogenous source. Then there are the tools used to create resources - often teachers use three or four different tools to create resources, often with different learning curves and skill floors.

What this study aims to find out is what pressures educators face, what type of resources they currently create (and how) and do they source resources externally and/or in collaboration with other educators, and what mechanism do they typically employ to do this.

By identifying teachers requirements, current frustrations and best practice in the field, we can attempt to provide an overarching framework (i.e. design/implementation guide) so that teachers may be better supported in terms of resource creation. This is especially important when institutions consider deploying new technology platforms for teaching and learning - i.e. immersive technology (AR/VR).

This falls under the umbrella of User Centred Design (my Ph.D is primarily in HCI), of which understanding how users actually work is the first central step. You don't go to users and ask them what they want - or else you end up with the Homer Simpson car!

Does that provide some clarity?

Soldato
Hi @amigafan2003 I can help if you need any extra. I've spent over 6 years as an engineering instructor where I continually create different training material from scratch after completing a Training Needs Analysis of the customers specific requirements, all of which falls under EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency) Part 147 (Training) regulations and ISO 9001 (Quality Management) so my training material is regularly audited by outside agencies for Quality.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
Hi @amigafan2003 I can help if you need any extra. I've spent over 6 years as an engineering instructor where I continually create different training material from scratch after completing a Training Needs Analysis of the customers specific requirements, all of which falls under EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency) Part 147 (Training) regulations and ISO 9001 (Quality Management) so my training material is regularly audited by outside agencies for Quality.

Hi - that'd be great - it's mainly aimed at teachers but it would be good to get a different perspective :) I've just amended the "what sector do you mainly teach in" question to include "non-academic (i.e. workplace training)" as a response.

I will send you a PM with details.

Associate
Not sure if I'm beyond your scope of target audience, but I work for a major conservation education charity and we (well, the team I'm in at least) teach from KS1 to PhD students, both our own material but curriculum-based too. VR/AR/Digital Spaces are always of interest to us where applicable. I might be able to help give a wider perspective on your study?

Back
Top Bottom