Assassin's Creed - Valhalla

Associate
I my experience the shield is mostly a waste of time, just dodge and use an a weapon in each hand instead. Don't spent too much time in Norway, get off it asap.

Soldato
I'm struggling with timing dodge.

Are you supposed to press it when the enemy glows red/orange? Or is that just a warning to let you know you need to dodge soon?

Associate
Managed to grab this for £25 from the bay last week. I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. Some of the little mystery quests are very imaginative and had surprises and some laugh out load moments.

I only got to England yesterday so still a way to go.

Associate
I have had it a couple of weeks now. Not really drawn to it as much as I was with Odyssey if I'm totally honest. When I do play it I enjoy it but I guess I'm still at that stage of discovering what works for me with skills etc.
I'm still pottering around Norway? Heard people mention get to England as quick as possible. I'm always worried about missing something though. Also I'm not a big youtube watcher for best gear etc, I like to discover things
for myself. Took me nearly two years to get to 75% completion of Odyssey. Might have to change the way I play haha or will never complete it.

Soldato
I have had it a couple of weeks now. Not really drawn to it as much as I was with Odyssey if I'm totally honest. When I do play it I enjoy it but I guess I'm still at that stage of discovering what works for me with skills etc.
I'm still pottering around Norway? Heard people mention get to England as quick as possible. I'm always worried about missing something though. Also I'm not a big youtube watcher for best gear etc, I like to discover things
for myself. Took me nearly two years to get to 75% completion of Odyssey. Might have to change the way I play haha or will never complete it.

I can relate - I think it might be the era that hasn't really pulled me in; can't say I'm a huge viking fan or anything, other than projects in primary school and looking at a Rover badge - I've not really had much viking action in my life. Odyssey is just a much nicer setting imo, lovely visuals, the ship combat works well enough, and although I'm no Greek mythology fan, the are just seems more 'welcoming' I guess.

I probably should have held off buying ACV, but you see a store deal sometimes, and jsut hit buy :D

Associate
I can relate - I think it might be the era that hasn't really pulled me in; can't say I'm a huge viking fan or anything, other than projects in primary school and looking at a Rover badge - I've not really had much viking action in my life. Odyssey is just a much nicer setting imo, lovely visuals, the ship combat works well enough, and although I'm no Greek mythology fan, the are just seems more 'welcoming' I guess.

I probably should have held off buying ACV, but you see a store deal sometimes, and jsut hit buy :D
haha yeah I think part FOMO part wanting something new! I used some reward points that were due to expire and lumped 20 quid with it (as it was on sale for 40 quid, which with hindsight still seems steep for something I wasn't overly fussed about). I'm sure I will find my groove with it at some point. But yeah I defo prefer the Greek Mythology for sure, the ship combat is quality (but even better in black flag). It just feels more fun to play as some of the quests are quite light hearted and it was my first real crack at a female protangonist. I guess they changed some things up in Valhalla which is a good thing. I still need to get more fluent with the controls etc and find what works for me. The higher frames is also a welcome feel to the game.

Soldato
A bit OT, possibly, but the newer AC games seem to have been dumbed down a bit now - especially the parkour.

When I think back to the older game, you used to have to plan your route up a building or surface, picking the corner with bricks or windows for hand holds, or cracks/whatnot in a cliff face. But the last 3 games just seem to be a case of "hold this button to go up, and this one to go down", bit of a shame, as it certainly added something to the whole stalking of a target.

Soldato
A bit OT, possibly, but the newer AC games seem to have been dumbed down a bit now - especially the parkour.

When I think back to the older game, you used to have to plan your route up a building or surface, picking the corner with bricks or windows for hand holds, or cracks/whatnot in a cliff face. But the last 3 games just seem to be a case of "hold this button to go up, and this one to go down", bit of a shame, as it certainly added something to the whole stalking of a target.

This is an issue with gamers expectations I think - for every person who enjoyed the planning and thinking, there were probably 10 posting online 'omg this is rubbish, why are only some bits of the world interactive?'

Soldato

Even if you leave Norway you can go back to it. There are some areas which are too high level anyway, so you have to leave and go back (part of a later quest chain). The game certainly gets better once you move to England.

I really enjoyed the game though I had to grind out levels for the last mission and I felt it was far, far too long overall (80 hours for me to get to the end).

Associate
Even if you leave Norway you can go back to it. There are some areas which are too high level anyway, so you have to leave and go back (part of a later quest chain). The game certainly gets better once you move to England.

I really enjoyed the game though I had to grind out levels for the last mission and I felt it was far, far too long overall (80 hours for me to get to the end).
Ah ok, I should have realised this would be the case. In game about to embark to England but thought I would have a look around the island outside of quests. Will prob fire it up later and get on that boat to England.
Yeah I know it will take me longer than 80 hours, I'm my own worst enemy in open world games as I over explore and faff around. Made this mistake in Vegas/FO4 and pretty much all the other AC games. Bottom line
they are fun to play and Ubisoft do a cracking job on the detail in these worlds.

Associate
Anybody else really unhappy with the black levels in this game? They seem to look really raised and therefore image looks washed out and grey in dark scenes. Really dissapointing as the last 2 AC had great HDR. Any fixes for this??

Associate
Anybody else really unhappy with the black levels in this game? They seem to look really raised and therefore image looks washed out and grey in dark scenes. Really dissapointing as the last 2 AC had great HDR. Any fixes for this??
Yeah I think there is an issue with the HDR implementation. Not sure if Ubisoft will rectify it but agree past AC titles have been great, so unsure why this time round it is this bad. Maybe some TV/monitors may have work arounds I guess you would have to do some googling around your display type.

Associate
Yeah I think there is an issue with the HDR implementation. Not sure if Ubisoft will rectify it but agree past AC titles have been great, so unsure why this time round it is this bad. Maybe some TV/monitors may have work arounds I guess you would have to do some googling around your display type.

Really disappointed with Digital Foundry for not picking this up tbh. They’ve done it a few times when recommending games for their graphics and then the HDR has been terrible due to being washed out with raised black levels. They must be in the pockets of devs too it seems.

Soldato
Oh god I thought that was my TV! It looks really crappy with HDR.

Soldato
Agree it's broken. There is no need for the torch like there was in Origins when you were underground. I'm using an LG CX and I've followed the HDTV guide for setting up HDR so I'm confident no issue there.
A lot of games consciously don't use 0 black which is annoying.

Back
Top Bottom