New Gigabyte Aorus 4K Monitors, inc. OLED!

Soldato
Three models were announced, but only the 48" is OLED (presumably using LG's panel). The other two are IPS. All three sport HDMI 2.1.

Nice to see bigger 4K monitors arriving (27" is just too small imo), although I'm done with IPS personally. The pricing of the 48" will be interesting. Competition in that space would be good.

iajXi2x.jpg

Associate
Good to see more high refresh rate 4K screens on the market. I used to think 27" was a bit small for 4K too but after getting one and using it next to my old 32" 4K screen I can definitely notice the increased pixel density think I prefer it.

Caporegime
Good to see more high refresh rate 4K screens on the market. I used to think 27" was a bit small for 4K too but after getting one and using it next to my old 32" 4K screen I can definitely notice the increased pixel density think I prefer it.

I really couldnt use windows without magnifying on a 27" 4k screen. I can use windows 100% on a 32" 4k screen which is why i think thats optimal

Soldato
I will beleive it when I see it. I have a 4K 32" monitor and I find the size about perfect, 27" 4K is pointless IMHO. So a 32" - 36" (non curved and non ultrawide) with HDR and higher refresh would be perfect for me. The problem these have been announced going back a numbere of years yet never seem to materialise.

Associate
OLED is probably coming from LG and the SS IPS panels from AU Optronics

All this Asus ROG, Acer Predator and Gigabyte Aorus stuff is basically putting their own brand and sales tax/premium on the same major component used by all of them.

Good to see we are getting closer to 4k 32" 144Hz but I think you need to brace yourself for the price, I think we are still a good 2yrs away from proper monitors as upgrades they are going to try and upsell the arse out of these things imho I hope I'm wrong but it has the hall marks are there unfortunately.

Caporegime
I though LG Panels were the only ones making big OLED panels, and wasn't the recent rumour that Samsung TV was going to start buying some (but would have to handle it carefully as they've been spending big for OLED FUD for years).

Samsung are making their own Quantum Dot OLED panels and in the next couple of years will be launching a full range to great fanfare and marketing explaining why OLED is so superior after trashing it for so many years! They are stopping making LCD panels soon and would have already if it hadnt been for covid.

They have a few technical issues with their OLED panels so to fill the gap there is the rumour that they are close to buying 1m OLED panels from LG this year and 4m next year with the expectation their own panels come online in 2023.

Caporegime
LG OLED 48" TV hdmi 2.1 etc etc is what £1300 and subject to price variations that is the benchmark all these are up against once you strip away the marketing and branding

And has now been on offer at £1000 so that will become the norm if people can wait.

But as soon as you put PC Monitor into the mix I expect all these monitor makers will want £2k for their screens.

Soldato
Probably shouldn't mention that my 13" laptop is 4k then :D

27" 1440p is a definite sweet spot, but I would also be happy with 4k at 27-32".
Yes, I wish they'd do a cheaper 27" 1440P 120/144Hz OLED with great HDR. I consider my RTX 3080 to be a 1440P card for raytracing and potentially VRAM reasons and I don't see the benefit of 4K at 27" inches only the massive performance hit.

Back
Top Bottom