How to beat the "Afternoon Crash" ?

Soldato
You know, that thing that happens around 2pm, kills productivity and makes you wish a lovely comfy bed just appears in the office for you to flop on.

It's bloody annoying and I can't quite figure out what to do to avoid it.

Any change to meals, or certain things to eat to avoid this?

Soldato
How do you define productivity? I have a burst of brilliance every now and then but then crash and spend the time thinking. Makes the next burst of brilliance just that.

Man of Honour
Could be a pre-diabetes symptom IIRC if you get it frequently and more than mild to moderately (depending on type can be prevented at that stage via diet changes).

Otherwise I'd make sure you are getting sufficient hydration. How and when you are consuming sugars and carbs will have an impact as well but beyond simple forum pointers.

Soldato
OP
Could be a pre-diabetes symptom IIRC if you get it frequently and more than mild to moderately (depending on type can be prevented at that stage via diet changes).

Otherwise I'd make sure you are getting sufficient hydration. How and when you are consuming sugars and carbs will have an impact as well but beyond simple forum pointers.

Hmm interesting, certainly something I may have to discuss with a doctor, I'd have thought if it was that it would have effects on exercise? And I frequently do 30-40 mile bike rides at a good pace.

What are you eating and drinking?

I miss breakfast sometimes, tend to have 2 or 3 coffees a day from Pret. When I do eat, bowl of cornflakes for breakfast, ham sarnie at dinner.

Capodecina
Soldato
Could be a pre-diabetes symptom

???????? Sure, it could be, but unlikely.

It's totally natural. It's part of circadian rhythms.

Ways to mitigate it - drink less coffee, more water, and eat better and smaller portions for breakfast and lunch.

Google "afternoon slump" for more info.

Soldato
I miss breakfast sometimes, tend to have 2 or 3 coffees a day from Pret. When I do eat, bowl of cornflakes for breakfast, ham sarnie at dinner.

I reckon you could eliminate this crash in the afternoon with a better diet. Cornflakes are not great and switching to porridge would be a good start, ham sarnie is OK but you could do far better. Ditch the coffee it isn't helping.

fez

fez

Caporegime
You have Tetley and biscuits for your evening meal?

Bit odd but each to their own. Personally I like breakfast, lunch and dinner but then again i'm not some northern savage.

I'm pretty sure a lack of food and and far too much coffee is whats causing the OP issues. Not enough calories and far too much caffeine.

Soldato
Maybe its something with the adrenal glands.

The adrenals produce cortisol which gives us the burst of energy. But its not constant through-out the day.

Its natural for everyone to feel a little lower during that time. Cortisol can be linked to maintaining glucose levels too. We get a burst of cortisol later on.

The natural way to get back to your pattern is to sleep how we are expected to sleep, early to bed, early to rise.

Short term mitigation can be with coffee, or to eat some food.

Back
Top Bottom