Poll: Spanish Grand Prix 2021, Catalunya - Race 4/23

Rate the 2021 Spanish Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Its the consecutive points finishes that blow my mind too. 48 or 49? Plus he has another entry on that list of nearly 20 earlier on in his career.

Lewis is first and second on the list of consecutive points finishes with 33 and 48. There is only the one failure separating those two runs so without he would have reached 81 before his absence due to Covid.

I am still surprised that RB didn't react when Lewis pitted the second time, they even said over the radio that it was Hungary 2019 all over again, so they knew the strategy, and knew how it would play out, but did nothing.

RBR didn't have a second set of mediums. As the hards were too slow the only tyre they could have fitted were softs which wouldn't have lasted until the end of the race.

Soldato
Lewis is first and second on the list of consecutive points finishes with 33 and 48. There is only the one failure separating those two runs so without he would have reached 81 before his absence due to Covid.

By the law of averages he's probably due a failure at some point. When was the last time he had a mechanical failure in the race that resulted in a DNF? Mercedes have been so good since Lewis and Nico suffered problems during the first few championship years.

RBR didn't have a second set of mediums. As the hards were too slow the only tyre they could have fitted were softs which wouldn't have lasted until the end of the race.

A lot of teams did half the race distance on the softs and that was with a full tank of fuel.

Caporegime
By the law of averages he's probably due a failure at some point.

*sobs in statistics*

When was the last time he had a mechanical failure in the race that resulted in a DNF? Mercedes have been so good since Lewis and Nico suffered problems during the first few championship years.

He did get lucky to win on three wheels last year, and he has some collisions where he's been lucky to come off unharmed, and Mercedes incredible reliability - possibly a result of being able to run the engines less hard - has been a major factor. Still, Bottas hasn't come near the level of Lewis here so there's clearly an element of skill involved.

A lot of teams did half the race distance on the softs and that was with a full tank of fuel.

Yup. Max ran 24 laps on his set of used starting tyres and he came in early as well. If he can do that, surely he could have down the 23 laps needed on lower fuel and a more rubbered in track.

Soldato
By the law of averages he's probably due a failure at some point. When was the last time he had a mechanical failure in the race that resulted in a DNF? Mercedes have been so good since Lewis and Nico suffered problems during the first few championship years.

His last mechanical DNF was Austria 2018, which is the race separating his runs of 33 and 48.

They weren't trying to run at the pace of a Mercedes though. Interestingly Lewis did 28 laps on his first stint on softs then 14 and 24 laps on the mediums. Looks like they could easily have done the second stint on softs but chose mediums.

Soldato
Yeah Merc always favours the harder tyres. It's been annoying really that Pirelli have used the hardest tyres in the range so far. People were saying in Portugal they really they brought the wrong compounds. It means less stops and slightly less interesting racing.

Soldato
Yeah Merc always favours the harder tyres. It's been annoying really that Pirelli have used the hardest tyres in the range so far. People were saying in Portugal they really they brought the wrong compounds. It means less stops and slightly less interesting racing.
To be expected when any sign of tyres not lasting is met with 'looool Pirelli can't make tyres, so rubbish, can't even make them last 15 laps,'

Soldato
Bottas not moving over for Hamilton... surprised this is not being talked about as much. That was pretty clear defiance of orders there. What's funny is that if that becomes reversed later on in the season at any point and Hamilton also refuses to move over, Bottas won't actually have the talent to overtake and would get stuck lol.

Soldato
I'm hoping that merc keep bottas and RB grad Russell for next year.

Perez won't be at RB. To slow.

The redbull reminds me of some of the Ducati bikes produced in motogp over the years. They seem to be hard to get on with and not everyone can simply step in and drive the Redbull fast. It has been built and adapted around Max's style and preferred response/setup. Perez, along with Albon and Gasly were all good drivers (Albon possibly less so) and there's a clear pattern here developing. Or...maybe the secondary team that manage that side of the garage (the non max side) are just not as good at translating the needs of the driver into setup changes. It would be interesting to know how much the setups and parts deviate from Max's. I wonder if Perez can just tell the team "give me an identical setup to Max's please".

Caporegime
Bottas not moving over for Hamilton... surprised this is not being talked about as much. That was pretty clear defiance of orders there. What's funny is that if that becomes reversed later on in the season at any point and Hamilton also refuses to move over, Bottas won't actually have the talent to overtake and would get stuck lol.

I guess because it didn't make much difference in the end: Bottas took his sweet time moving over but he did get out of the way in the end. I expect Toto is having words with Valteri behind the scenes. I was surprised Hamilton wasn't told that Bottas had been told to let him pass, I assumed that was standard practice.

Caporegime
I want to see how Hamilton and Russell measure up to each other, and I'd like to see Hamilton facing a real challenge in the same car before his time is up.

This would probably be better. Is Hamilton really brilliant. Or is bottas not so good.

Shame in f1 you get so few comparisons like this.

Soldato
I want to see how Hamilton and Russell measure up to each other, and I'd like to see Hamilton facing a real challenge in the same car before his time is up.

Do you really think that wolf would let that happen?
They need\want a second and slower driver that will do as they are ordered.

If I was bottas I would just go flat out from now on and not do the the lap times Merc want from him to.

Caporegime
This would probably be better. Is Hamilton really brilliant. Or is bottas not so good.

I mean we've already seen Hamilton vs. three different world champions - Alonso, Button, and Rosberg - in the same car, so I consider that question answered. But I'd like to see where he's at now against an exiting new talent.

Do you really think that wolf would let that happen? They need\want a second and slower driver that will do as they are ordered.

They need a driver to replace Lewis after he retires. Right now they have Russell available, they'd be foolish to let him slip through their fingers.

If I was bottas I would just go flat out from now on and not do the the lap times Merc want from him to.

Nothing indicates Bottas isn't trying his best.

Soldato
I'm hoping that merc keep bottas and RB grad Russell for next year.

Perez won't be at RB. To slow.

He's closer to Max than anyone other Dani Ric (who often beat Max), so who are they going to put in that's better? All of the drivers who've switched teams are a little slower than you might expect. I reckon the lack of testing 1.5 days will have had a big affect.

Lewis himself said it was a complete non-issue, he wasn't aware Bottas had been asked to move, and said because it's so early in the season he didn't expect him to move.

Soldato
He's closer to Max than anyone other Dani Ric (who often beat Max), so who are they going to put in that's better? All of the drivers who've switched teams are a little slower than you might expect. I reckon the lack of testing 1.5 days will have had a big affect.

Russell switched teams and was way faster then bottas.
So that disproves your point :cry:

Soldato

Shame in f1 you get so few comparisons like this.
Certainly Hamilton is that good, a definite great of his generation at least, but Bottas isn't a rubbish driver - he's just up against one of the best.

Bottas has shown he can be as quick as anyone on the grid, but it's a whole other level to repeat that lap after lap for the duration of a race, and that's where Hamilton has improved dramatically in the hybrid era. I do think that, like Vettel, Hamilton lost a bit of his outright speed in the switch to these heavy buses, but unlike Vettel Hamilton has added a steely relentlessness and consistency to his race pace, a bit like how Alonso was, especially on his return to Renault and at Ferrari.

I don't think Russell will pose too much of a threat to Hamilton if Mercedes require that, on the condition that Russell has it written into his contract that he becomes at least an equal within a certain time frame or whenever Hamilton retires. Russell would be stupid to ruin the chance of a long contract at Mercedes by posing a risk to both cars for some short-term marker against Hamilton in likely his last two or three seasons.

No, the risk with Russell is that his race pace is still a massive question mark. Sure, he performed well at Sakhir compared to Bottas, but as I've said that's was a unique race which shouldn't be used as a yardstick, and his Williams performances hardly scream a master of race pace, as he's often not always that far up the road from Latifi and inevitably slipping down the order after a brilliant qualifying. That's almost certainly down to the supposed Williams flaws as much as it is the driver's style, but from a Mercedes point of view you can see why they might have reservations.

Back
Top Bottom