Have your stopped talking to people due to political opinions?

Caporegime
I think it is so prevalent online because people are cowards or just desire to be popular above all else and are afraid of being cancelled due to association with those are seen to have "unpopular" opinions.

I mean you even see this kind of herd mentality in science these days, that something is a consensus and therefore it must be true and anyone who disagrees is a "denier", science has never been about winning over a consensus or rigging up virtual computer models it's about verifiable observations and truths based on reality.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think I've stopped taking to people because of it, but I'm definitely of the opinion that you only really become friends with people you can relate to or at least have shared interests. With almost everything being politically charged these days it does mean that you tend to gravitate towards people that align with your political views without really noticing it.

I also think you'll tend to avoid people for specific traits or opinions that differ from yours before you get down to thier political views that might influence those habits or thoughts.

Caporegime
No but avoiding, at least temporarily, the Three Topics (sex, religion, and politics) can sometimes be a better way to enjoy other's company, especailly over dinner or something similar where there's no easy way to distance yourself from the conversation when it turns.

Soldato
I think it is so prevalent online because people are cowards or just desire to be popular above all else and are afraid of being cancelled due to association with those are seen to have "unpopular" opinions.

I mean you even see this kind of herd mentality in science these days, that something is a consensus and therefore it must be true and anyone who disagrees is a "denier", science has never been about winning over a consensus or rigging up virtual computer models it's about verifiable observations and truths based on reality.
You really are a special kind of special.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scien...permajority, though not necessarily unanimity.

Associate

You sound like an anti vaxxer, or one of those conspiracy nuts. You are the only one in the know, everyone that denies your truth must be all brainwashed. lol.

Soldato
You sound like an anti vaxxer, or one of those conspiracy nuts. You are the only one in the know, everyone that denies your truth must be all brainwashed. lol.

All of the above.

I've blocked one person on FB because they kept spamming anti-vaxx rubbish and unlike them I didn't have 12h a day to watch YT videos... sorry, do "research" to rebut them because I have a job.

Otherwise I've never blocked anyone.

Commissario
Remember the Winnie the Poo and Piglet cartoons that have been kicking around after recent elections? That's me and one of my best buddies. We have very different political views, we both know we're never going to change the other person but it certainly hasn't stopped us talking.

Soldato
No, I'm not ashamed of my political viewpoint and if anyone has an issue with it then that's their problem, not mine. I tend not to get involved in political debates online though, but that's purely down to wokeness being so prevalent and the fact that having an opinion anywhere to the right of Marx can lead to you getting banned and your accounts locked.

A friend who I see most weeks (covid rules permitting) identifies himself as "right of centre", but he has become a full blown Trump apologist in recent years. He said that the 2020 US election vote counting system was rigged and he downplayed the US Capitol riots. So we agreed to disagree and try and avoid Trump topics now.

I have muted a couple of political fanatics on Facebook as well (both left and right wing). A shame because they are 'normal' people when meeting them face to face.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
It's the same dross decade upon decade that's now worse due to 24hr 7 days a week "Breaking News" being spammed to everyone,. there's no refuge from it. Nothing changes, it just goes from one fiasco to the next therefore I don't care for politics or people whose only line of conversation revolves around it. I don't follow the news at all, I just get stuff 3rd hand and pay little notice to it.

Back
Top Bottom