• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

TTL Rightfully Calling Out Retailers Price Gouging

Caporegime
Is it? why? We are grown men moaning about grown up toys aren't we? just put the money away for when the 4080Ti or maybe even 5080Ti comes out.
I only tend to buy a new card every 5 years or so...now, I used to buy every new gen card when the max price for the halo card was £400 though.
The issue is we are all upgrading (if not done so already) to high-Hz 1440p or 4K screens.

Try driving those to their full potential and you'll quickly see how much a powerful GPU is absolutely required.

For example, my Vega 56 can only drive 1440p at a quite modest 40-60 FPS (depending on game).

So when I go out and buy my 1440p/160Hz display, then effectively it's a complete waste until I also upgrade my GPU.

Soldato
I think there might be a bit of doomposting about the GPU market affecting the PC games industry, across some forums.

The problem is the attractiveness of the PC platform for games developers.

Developers of PC games, which generally take years, have always had to guesstimate where PC hardware will be come release time, so as to make the best use of it. Sometimes they underestimate, and end up with a lacklustre game which doesn't take advantage of the latest technologies. Other times they overestimate and end up with something that's barely playable on most hardware, such as Crysis.

The additional uncertainty and disruption being caused by this current hardware debacle will turn increasing numbers of PC games developers towards the more predictable world of consoles.
In addition, the development of things like VR and AR gaming on the PC platform will stagnate due to the unavailability and expense of the hardware needed to run it well.

Soldato
OP
A £650 card going for £2000 is indefensible

Indeed, I had money ready to go for a 3080, Alas I missed the first round, Then it went up to 800+ for a basic model which was a no go for me as I'm not helping some retailer get his 2nd Ferarri, Same goes for the 6800XT, Pricing is ridiculous.

Soldato
The problem is the attractiveness of the PC platform for games developers.

Developers of PC games, which generally take years, have always had to guesstimate where PC hardware will be come release time, so as to make the best use of it. Sometimes they underestimate, and end up with a lacklustre game which doesn't take advantage of the latest technologies. Other times they overestimate and end up with something that's barely playable on most hardware, such as Crysis.

The additional uncertainty and disruption being caused by this current hardware debacle will turn increasing numbers of PC games developers towards the more predictable world of consoles.
In addition, the development of things like VR and AR gaming on the PC platform will stagnate due to the unavailability and expense of the hardware needed to run it well.

Well, current gen consoles are, at least now, pretty powerful themselves. So dropping support for old gen ones and focusing on current gen and PC (of at least similar spec), would actually be a nice improvement.

Soldato
I noticed on trusted reviews they have spams of posts saying how good and trusted they are etc which are overwhelming the posts that call them out for scalping. I'm pretty sure they're creating fake accounts to over ride what is really being said about them. It's like a post a day from random people.

Soldato
I noticed on trusted reviews they have spams of posts saying how good and trusted they are etc which are overwhelming the posts that call them out for scalping. I'm pretty sure they're creating fake accounts to over ride what is really being said about them. It's like a post a day from random people.
Reviews saying they are the only place selling at reasonable prices, what? Better hope that is fake, or Nvidia will always sell high.

Soldato
Wouldn't go as far to say it is dead but I really do understand if people choose to go console now, this pricing is a killer for sure. I live in hope things will return back to more normality soon but wont hold my breath.

It would be interesting to know the percentage of cards that ended up as full time miners vs cards that ended up in gamers PC's. (Over the last year or so)

Soldato
Reviews saying they are the only place selling at reasonable prices, what? Better hope that is fake, or Nvidia will always sell high.
It's fake, trusted reviews is so easy to manipulate. Takes seconds to just create an account with a fake email address.

I've tracked and looked at their prices through the past 3 months and they are one of the dearest and most scalped prices i have seen. There are screen shots of the prices on discord from different months but unfortunately they still sell out at every drop hence why they keep doing it.

It's great for them to make money but absolute **** for their reputation.

If you check out other review sites, you can see they are all 1 star.

Associate
I thought I'd have a look at Trustpilot quick after your comments on the reviews, absolute corkers I'll remove shop name from quote and replace with the word Banana
"The most transparent shop during this crisis.
Banana is now my go-to PC shop after using many others. Banana during the GPU crisis has been the ONLY shop to try and get cards to gamers at a reasonable price."

Oh boy how I chuckled !

Associate
Very few retailers have stuck to close to RRP for GPUs, including OCUK. I'm not sure it's fair to single any one out for criticism in that respect. Complaining about price gouging on a forum hosted by a retailer that sold 3090's for £3k is hypocritical.

Associate
Very few retailers have stuck to close to RRP for GPUs, including OCUK. I'm not sure it's fair to single any one out for criticism in that respect. Complaining about price gouging on a forum hosted by a retailer that sold 3090's for £3k is hypocritical.
3K!!!,
what? so glad i got mine before these crazy prices, 1.5K I paid last year from ocuk, they really been charging 3K for 3090's?

Associate
I have difficulty believing retailers have to charge the insane prices they are currently getting away with. They're in a strong position and are knowingly exploiting that position to make scandalous amounts of money.
Next we'll be told that every 3080FE/3090FE and 3080TI is being sold at a loss direct by Nvidia but thanks to Jensen's good will and kindness they're still doing so. Where are these huge mark ups in the supply chain coming from? Unless and until I see invoices/bills of sale I'll believe the far more plausible story that retailers are selling for the absolute maximum they think they can because it makes them more money.

Associate
Unless things change in the future with pricing I fear my 3090 will be the last GPU bought, I will not hesitate to move to consoles in the future for my gaming fun if pricing doesn't drastically reduce, it's just getting ridiculous now.

Soldato
Damn, found a worst store. Non extreme toxic extreme 6900 XT £2299. The world has completely lost it, it really is a great card at MSRP, it should be considering you can buy 3080 Ti at MSRP.

Back
Top Bottom