Best stuff for removing and help preventing mould in bathroom with no window?

Associate
So i am living in a privately rented flat built in the 60's and they where known for issues with mould in the bathrooms due to only having a poor extracter fan and no windows. Totally my own fault it has ended up getting pretty bad as one didn't realise about the dehumidifier in the airing cupboard. Does anyone have any idea on the best products to help clean up the bathroom walls, grouting, etc and what paint, grouting, etc to go over with once clean to help prevent the build up of the mould as its pretty bad.

Soldato
To prevent it building up the best thing you can do is squeegee all the wet surfaces after you have finished showering and then leave the fan running for as long as it takes to clear the room, even if it takes an hour or two. Once you’ve finished showering, leave the door slightly open so dry air can get in as the fan is extracting.

Dehumidifiers cost a fortune to run in the long term and tend to be unnecessary.

Soldato
So i am living in a privately rented flat built in the 60's and they where known for issues with mould in the bathrooms due to only having a poor extracter fan and no windows. Totally my own fault it has ended up getting pretty bad as one didn't realise about the dehumidifier in the airing cupboard. Does anyone have any idea on the best products to help clean up the bathroom walls, grouting, etc and what paint, grouting, etc to go over with once clean to help prevent the build up of the mould as its pretty bad.
HG mould spray is the best thing to remove it but bleach works almost as well. As you've no windows, make sure to leave the door open as the fumes are pretty strong.

Caporegime
what do you clean your bathroom with and how often?
what surface is the mould building up on? you can get anti mould bathroom paint btw I used that where I live since I don't have a window either but the extractor is some industrial one on the roof which seems more than good enough. I don't even dust the vent most the time

you need to clean your bathroom at least every 1-2 weeks with a proper bathroom cleaner, personally I favour viakal but the fumes on it are pretty strong.
obviously if the mould isn't building up on a tile or some silicon seal then this won't help.

if it's on the walls your best bet is to get rid of it with bleach or a mould remover and then paint it with anti mould paint
Anti-Mould Paint works because of the powerful biocides it contains. These biocides will stop mould growth for up to five years. ... Note: Anti-Mould Paint does not stop condensation but instead prevents the negative effects of condensation like the formation of black mould and mildew.

in a lot of cases the tenants are the reason, I've seen people in local papers complaining about mould when they live in the same place as me... we got industrial extractors on the roof as said, I never had a problem, I bet they block the vent or something during the winter :rolleyes: and never clean.

not saying that's your case though if your extractor fan isn't powerful enough then all you can do is fight it with your own money which sucks when it's not your fault.

I've lived in places with proper mould issues though where you couldn't put furniture against a wall or the wall would get damp.. the owners just expect you to live with it rather than fix the problem, and keep your windows open even in the winter :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Don't use bleach, it only kills surface mould, use white vinegar or a dedicated mould remover like Screwfix's nononsense. Might need a decent grout sponge too to remove stubborn bits.

If the mould reappears in the same areas then check to see if there's anywhere water might pool and take steps to eliminate it/divert water away. Don't be afraid to re-silicone problematic areas with some decent mould resistant stuff like dow 785.

Associate
OP
the mould mainly covers the ceiling, some of the tile grout also has it. Was thinking of regrouting in between the tiles whilst giving the rest of the bathroom a good scrub down clean with a decent product, then get some decent anti mould paint on. From what i can tell there is no standing or pooling water in the bathroom and we always have left the light and extractor fan on until the room has cleared after a shower or bath.

Caporegime
the mould mainly covers the ceiling, some of the tile grout also has it. Was thinking of regrouting in between the tiles whilst giving the rest of the bathroom a good scrub down clean with a decent product, then get some decent anti mould paint on. From what i can tell there is no standing or pooling water in the bathroom and we always have left the light and extractor fan on until the room has cleared after a shower or bath.
does your extractor fan have an auto mode?

I have an extractor fan in the kitchen on a pull cord, I thought it was just dodgy to turn off but the click after on actually goes to some automatic mode where it seems to detect moisture from boiling pans etc

Soldato
I can only advise on keeping moisture away but when we were renting the flat in London we had one of these in the bathroom, we had the flat for 6 months and only used a couple of discs.

UniBond AERO 360º Moisture Absorber, Ultra-Absorbent Dehumidifier, Helps to Prevent Condensation, Mould & Musty Smells, Recyclable, Refillable Condensation Absorber, 1 Device incl. 1 Refill Tab 450 g: AmazonSmile: DIY & Tools

I did always squeegee the shower cubicle after each shower though (mainly to stop water marks on the glass tbh) and the bedroom window was open nearly all the time.

Associate
Tip to bleaching areas is dowse kitchen towel in the bleach and put that over the affected areas. Overnight and sorts it out a treat.

This, I did this but used one of those spray mould removers and left it over night for a few nights. The thing with mould if it gets into plaster board it will always eventually grow back something to do with the way it bores into the plaster.

Caporegime
Tip to bleaching areas is dowse kitchen towel in the bleach and put that over the affected areas. Overnight and sorts it out a treat.
all it does is stop the bleach drying out so fast, you could just stick clingfilm or anything over the worst effected areas after spraying them

Back
Top Bottom