• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU panic selling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Literally all the thermal pads could be spent, meaning high temperatures and loud fan noise to compensate. Also the GDDR6X memory runs notoriously hot when mining, meaning degradation is very likely for many of these cards, since mining Ethereum puts such a high load on the memory.

How much of this is real and how much is make believe though? I'd love to see some data on failure rates of ex-mining cards and whether GDDR6X degradation is a real worry because it gets brought up a lot but never seen any factual info.

Soldato
There'll still be shortages/demand for new cards, as not many will want to buy a used 3000 series GPU, that's ex mining hardware. Literally all the thermal pads could be spent, meaning high temperatures and loud fan noise to compensate. Also the GDDR6X memory runs notoriously hot when mining, meaning degradation is very likely for many of these cards, since mining Ethereum puts such a high load on the memory.

To anyone buying a 2nd hand 3000 series card, check if the warranty for the manufacturer is valid for anyone apart from original seller. In many cases it's not - don't get burned!
People will buy them if they are cheap enough especially if retail prices stay high.

Associate
How much of this is real and how much is make believe though? I'd love to see some data on failure rates of ex-mining cards and whether GDDR6X degradation is a real worry because it gets brought up a lot but never seen any factual info.
I certainly think it isn't an easy thing to quantify.
Gamers vs miners damaging cards:
  1. Fans:
    1. Miners: Fans will be running constantly for months at a time
    2. Gamers: Fan will only be running a few hours at a time
  2. VRM and power circuitry:
    1. Miners: a constant pull for months at time, but probably heavily undervolted (power costs money both in term of electricity and possible having to use bigger PSUs)
    2. Gamers: a variable pull for a few hours at time
  3. GPU silicon and thermal cycles:
    1. Miners: constant load, few thermal cycles
    2. Gamers: fluctuating load, lots of thermal cycles.
  4. Overclocking and underclocking:
    1. Miners:Usually more likely to underclock, but Ampere and GDRR6X might be overclocked as memory is the more important metrics (at least for ETH)
    2. Gamers: most would leave it alone, but plenty of overclockers too.
Some of the things miners do will damage a GPU with fans being the most likely point of failure.
Some of the things gamers do will damage a GPU with thermal cycling being the most likely point of failure.
Surprise, surprise, there is no easy simple answer. A mining GPU where the GDDR6X hasn't been damaged would seem like a good candidate for watercooling or aftermarket aircooler. If cheap enough, a few 120mm case fans might do too.

Associate
I hope the frenzy doesn’t end for another 2 days and 8 hours. My 1.5 year old 5700xt has a high bid of £570 at the moment. Takes the sting out of the 1049 I paid for the 3080ti FE last week!

Associate
Comparatively to the 3070 MSRP, a second hand 1080 Ti would only be worth at most £300, in which case I would keep it for my second rig.

But they go for up to £800 right now on Ebay, except I don't have a 3080 / Ti to replace it with yet.

If I can get anything over £400 for it after managing to upgrade then I sell it, anything under £300 keep.

£301-399 hmmmm, better to keep it I think.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour

let’s hope it’s real, as that might discourage new miners and also kill the price of s/h cards, which will hopefully bring the price of new cards to sensible levels faster

Man of Honour
I think lots of the sales aren't people trying to flip to make money just people trying to get out of their over priced GPU while it's still selling for somewhere close to what they paid.
I was responding to the post higher up mentioning the "great scalper fire sale" hence I said about flipping. Scalpers shouldn't be losing money because they should have paid retail prices and then sold at a profit at current prices, unless they are 'second generation' scalpers who overpaid in the first place which there shouldn't be too many of.

Of course, there will be others doing what you describe, but I think there is a lot of wishful thinking / schadenfreude going on where people are desperate to jump on any signs of a market cooling and over-exaggerate it. The bottom line is, if you judge current prices on merit, they are an absolute disgrace and this time last year if someone said people would be drooling over RTX 3080 at £1300 they would have been laughed off the forums.

Don't forget it wasn't so long ago we had the 2080ti "how low will it go?" thread with people gleefully projecting it would be worth £300 or whatever.

I guess we just need to keep monitoring the market and hope for further decline but lets be honest any falls to date haven't even touched the sides, prices are still inflated beyond belief. It's like a seller doubling their prices and then running a 20% off sale, it's a bad deal on merit.

Last edited:
Soldato
I hope the frenzy doesn’t end for another 2 days and 8 hours. My 1.5 year old 5700xt has a high bid of £570 at the moment. Takes the sting out of the 1049 I paid for the 3080ti FE last week!

I'll await the eBay scam help thread.. :D

Associate
I've read that crackdowns in China on mining are starting to happen now and that will have a pretty big impact on Crypto since China is responsible for so much of the mining. I have my doubts that an easing of Crypto will make the market for new cards any better, the fighting over output of Fabs is still going to be a bottleneck there for quite some time, so I wouldn't expect big waves of new cards to be available, or the prices of new ones to drop all that much. But it could mean a lot of cards hit the secondary market, albeit ones which have been mined on 24/7 for god knows how long.

Soldato
I cant see there being a huge flood of cards, as other have said there are several things at play here.

Covid demand - although hopefully (and lets not go off topic with this) but things are easing in the UK but other countries also dont forget.

General demand - if you think of how many people are using outdated cards now and want to upgrade but havn't, almost like a "backlog" of people waiting to upgrade. That needs to be filled.

Chip shortages

Mining demand dropping, but still present.

The last time we had the mining strike it was just that, today there are other factors in play, which is why it has been so bad this time around. I think things are getting better, I keep an eye out on the market, the drop alerts etc, things are staying in stock for longer although still expensive, I believe things are heading in the right direction, and hopefully we have no seen the worst of it, but gradually improvement.

Associate
I've never mined on my cards, but then why would an out of warranty 3+ year old GPU be appealing to anyone at current prices?

Its simply crazy how much you still get for second hand PC parts though, even when there isn't a shortage.

Soldato
I certainly think it isn't an easy thing to quantify.
Gamers vs miners damaging cards:
  1. Fans:
    1. Miners: Fans will be running constantly for months at a time
    2. Gamers: Fan will only be running a few hours at a time
  2. VRM and power circuitry:
    1. Miners: a constant pull for months at time, but probably heavily undervolted (power costs money both in term of electricity and possible having to use bigger PSUs)
    2. Gamers: a variable pull for a few hours at time
  3. GPU silicon and thermal cycles:
    1. Miners: constant load, few thermal cycles
    2. Gamers: fluctuating load, lots of thermal cycles.
  4. Overclocking and underclocking:
    1. Miners:Usually more likely to underclock, but Ampere and GDRR6X might be overclocked as memory is the more important metrics (at least for ETH)
    2. Gamers: most would leave it alone, but plenty of overclockers too.
Some of the things miners do will damage a GPU with fans being the most likely point of failure.
Some of the things gamers do will damage a GPU with thermal cycling being the most likely point of failure.
Surprise, surprise, there is no easy simple answer. A mining GPU where the GDDR6X hasn't been damaged would seem like a good candidate for watercooling or aftermarket aircooler. If cheap enough, a few 120mm case fans might do too.

The Nvidia 3000 series have a important exception to the norm. Mining (and 4k gaming to some extent) cause the GDDR6X modules to overheat very rapidly. Almost all 3080's and 3090's run at 100DC and up to 110DC, especially on the 3090's. This is confirmed by several sources to cause damage. Some miners will have replaced the thermal pads, though I bet the majority won't have, as they didn't want to risk voiding warranty or breaking the card.

No other generation of cards that's been used for mining has ever had the same factors in play, it's literally just GDDR6X that runs crazy hot, especially when mining Ethereum.

Permabanned
The Nvidia 3000 series have a important exception to the norm. Mining (and 4k gaming to some extent) cause the GDDR6X modules to overheat very rapidly. Almost all 3080's and 3090's run at 100DC and up to 110DC, especially on the 3090's. This is confirmed by several sources to cause damage. Some miners will have replaced the thermal pads, though I bet the majority won't have, as they didn't want to risk voiding warranty or breaking the card.

No other generation of cards that's been used for mining has ever had the same factors in play, it's literally just GDDR6X that runs crazy hot, especially when mining Ethereum.

It does get hot, however it also gets almost as hot when gaming. I have hit 92 degrees in Cyberpunk for the memory junction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom