*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
What instructions did you follow for converting?

This:https://www.windowscentral.com/how-...ios-uefi-windows-10#convert_mbr_gpt_windows10

If you follow that exactly then it takes seconds. Just remember to set BIOS to UEFI afterwards. The first boot device will show as "Windows Boot". Depending on mobo you will alos be able to leave the BIOS in BIOS mode and CSM can remain on even with a GPT OS drive like my mobo, Gigabyte seem to have dual mode where you can boot GPT drives in legacy mode but really you want CSM disabled which is pure UEFI mode. For Secure Boot to show as enabled you need to apply the default keys in the secure boot submenu, then Windows will see the hardware keys and show Secure Boot as active. Windows will still boot fine without secure boot enabled in the BIOS/UEFI though.

Soldato
Asus z590 users. TPM is called PTT it's Under advanced look for PCH FW Configuration. Enable. Before I enabled it said no windows 11 for me. After Enabled, I'm all good for free upgrade to Windows 11:)

Permabanned
Because it was primarily for Encryption/Bitlocker and how would home users need that and aside from the performance loss.

I bet till yesterday many did not even know what TPM was.

Also did not come with the Mobo, the TPM header was there on some models but you had to buy it from the vendor.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be quite honest, if you aren't using a TPM (and haven't been since 2015), the question is really, why not.
Most people never heard of it until yesterday.

Microsoft probably should have done some security ground work so everyone already knew what most of the requirements are and had them configured if possible. Then it wouldn't have been a surprise.

Soldato
I have a TPM header but it's a no go for me - I cant even enable secureboot because i just get no display output from either my GPU or iGPU on any connector. Absolutely nothing and i've never been able to fix that. Without secureboot, no w11 for me. Ah well, got another 4 years to worry about that lol.

Soldato
To follow up on my earlier post about my monitor not working with CSM disabled...

There's an old issue where graphics cards prioritise ports DVI -> HDMI -> DP in UEFI.
So if your monitor is connected by DP, you get a blank screen. If you move it to HDMI it works. (on a GPU with HDMI+DP)
There's a firmware update for NVIDIA. No idea about AMD.
Haven't installed the update, can't vouch for it, but others do here:
https://linustechtips.com/topic/1350334-no-display-after-disabling-csm

in b4 people switch to UEFI en-masse and lose display output :(

Permabanned
Microsoft is working on a fix for the PC Health Check app, first update scheduled for today

Microsoft is working on a fix for the PC Health Check app, first update scheduled for today - Neowin

Another tool that is easier to run than the other Github one as it is a simple .exe

2021-06-25-1.png

Releases · rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11 · GitHub

Soldato
for anyone interested you do not need a physical tpm module, amd's 'CPU fTPM' and intel's 'Platform Trust Technology' firmware based tpms are also supported, enabling the options in the bios will then show you're pc as compatible.

Mine is enabled, and yet it still says I won't be able to run W11.

Back
Top Bottom