*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Was your CPU on the list though?

No, although cpu generation support is a soft floor so would not matter anyway. TPM and CPU generation are both soft floors that won't prevent you from installing Windows 11 according to MS.

I had to enable fTPM in my bios on my X570 Tomahawk max and convert drive from MBR to GPT and now the tool tells me it will run Windows 11. Before hand i knew it would fail as i was using older MBR and i couldnt use smart access memory. It was easy to do i'll post the how to.

Here you are...

https://www.windowscentral.com

I am just about to do this actually since my OS drive (480GB Intel Skulltrail SSD) should be GPT but as I upgraded from Windows Vista to 10, the boot record remained MBR. I want to benefit from the enhancements UEFI gives tbh and drop the legacy BIOS emulation it's currently using via CSM.

So I saw this guide which seems simple enough: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-...ios-uefi-windows-10#convert_mbr_gpt_windows10

I just need to confirm one thing, my drive is NTFS formatted which is fine, so I will follow this guide and do it via booting into the command prompt mode. I then need to go into the BIOS and disable CSM which will allow the newly converted EFI boot record to be seen and Windows can then boot.

Assuming I have not missed anything there? :D

Soldato
My Asus B560M-Plus motherboard doesn't seem to support TPM so it seems I don't need to be concerned about Windows 11 for the moment.

But I thought that more modern CPUs implemented TPM internally.

Soldato
I had to enable fTPM in my bios on my X570 Tomahawk max and convert drive from MBR to GPT and now the tool tells me it will run Windows 11. Before hand i knew it would fail as i was using older MBR and i couldnt use smart access memory. It was easy to do i'll post the how to.

Here you are...

https://www.windowscentral.com

convert drive from MBR to GPT could be data loss! BE CAREFUL!

Soldato
No, although cpu generation support is a soft floor so would not matter anyway. TPM and CPU generation are both soft floors that won't prevent you from installing Windows 11 according to MS.

I am just about to do this actually since my OS drive (480GB Intel Skulltrail SSD) should be GPT but as I upgraded from Windows Vista to 10, the boot record remained MBR. I want to benefit from the enhancements UEFI gives tbh and drop the legacy BIOS emulation it's currently using via CSM.

So I saw this guide which seems simple enough: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-...ios-uefi-windows-10#convert_mbr_gpt_windows10

I just need to confirm one thing, my drive is NTFS formatted which is fine, so I will follow this guide and do it via booting into the command prompt mode. I then need to go into the BIOS and disable CSM which will allow the newly converted EFI boot record to be seen and Windows can then boot.

Yes that's the guide I used and posted. It worked flawlessly for me. No horror stories of data loss. Did have to 're enter bios and select uefi saved exit and worked. 're ran tool and got congratulations windows 11 will work on this pc.

Soldato
And so the Windows 11 TPM confusion begins. 2.0? 1.2? 1.4? Who knows!

Microsoft has posted the specific requirements for the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) chip that will be needed to install Windows 11, indicating that TPM 2.0 is recommended but not a firm requirement for running the operating system.

In its announcement on Thursday, Microsoft said that a security chip, such as the TPM 2.0 chip, will be required to run Windows 11 on a PC.

However, while TPM 2.0 is ideal, that exact version is not actually required, according to Microsoft documentation on Windows 11 compatibility.

As long as a PC has at least TPM 1.2, it will meet the minimum security requirements for Windows 11, Microsoft said. TPM 1.2 is the “hard floor” for installing Windows 11, while TPM 2.0 is a “soft floor,” the company said.

“Devices that do not meet the hard floor cannot be upgraded to Windows 11, and devices that meet the soft floor will receive a notification that upgrade is not advised,” Microsoft said in the documentation.
https://www.crn.com/news/applications-os/microsoft-discloses-tpm-chip-requirements-for-windows-11

Soldato
So if you're CPU isn't on the list, and you have no TPM socket on your motherboard then you have to upgrade your PC in the next 4 years because there will be no more updates for Windows 10 by 2025.

Soldato

Probably wont make any difference i already have an efi boot partition and secure boot only enabled. If it were only a soft floor for cpu and tpm then the health checker wouldn't say you can't upgrade to w11.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Well I converted MBR to GPT, took seconds and now booting up with UEFI. Slightly quicker POST but that's about it. Secure Boot is now on too. Carrying on with business as usual :D

Permabanned
Someone a few pages back wondered if MS are doing this TPM fiasco for activation purposes/piracy, they said earlier on it is for Window Hello even though that works now without TPM which is only needed for Bitlocker.

Back
Top Bottom