Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Objection handling in a sales based role?

When a female (especially one who's apparently alone) tells you that she's not interested, and you reply that you won't leave her property until she tells you where she's moving to, that is not 'objection handling' - it's trespass and harassment. Source: ran my own advertising and sales business a lifetime ago. There's no place for that sort of pressured, bullying and slimy behaviour. And sales people wonder why they have a reputation... LOL Horrid profession I was glad to see the back of.

Soldato
Objection handling in a sales based role?

If you think that standing on someone’s doorstep after being told that they aren’t interested and refusing to move unless they tell you where they are moving to is objection handling, please don’t ever go into sales. Asking if you could check the new postcode and inform them if it’s serviceable is reasonable, refusing to leave until they let you is not.

Soldato
What's worse the door to door staff specifically targeted my mrs and tried to get her to sign up as a new customer even though she repeatedly told them we were moving house. They then harassed her about the new address. I was working and heard it so came down and just shut the door in the guys face after he said he won't leave without knowing our new address. I was thinking about putting in a complaint as it's all on my Ring doorbell.
Do it, I would have done it already without even having to think about it.

Man of Honour
I should have, however it's no longer on my Ring. We had yet another knock on the door yesterday by another salesman asking us to sign up and offering 3 months free. Although reluctant to give up he finally did.

Soldato
I've been using newshosting.com for a few years. $36/year, unlimited transfers, > 4000 days retentions and 30 connections. It can happily max out my 900Mbps FTTP connection.

The package I have was apparently a limited offer but it's still available here.

Thank you for this!

I recently signed up at $99 for the year so emailed them about this offer and they've refunded me the difference!

Soldato
Been considering a move from Vodafone broadband, nothing wrong with it, it's been fast and reliable to a Virgin Media cable internet package. Does anyone know what the rough friends and family discount is etc?

I currently paid £21 for my Vodafone connection etc. Not bothered about supplied kit so much as running my own firewall etc.

Soldato
Been considering a move from Vodafone broadband, nothing wrong with it, it's been fast and reliable to a Virgin Media cable internet package. Does anyone know what the rough friends and family discount is etc?

I currently paid £21 for my Vodafone connection etc. Not bothered about supplied kit so much as running my own firewall etc.

You can normally get a better deal by using Quidco/TCB - the person offering friends and family on here for VM is just milking you for his referral bonus.

Soldato
I am moving out of a virgin media area in the next month but the £79/month ultimate oomph deal VM currently have on for new customers is a winner.

FYI - I am still doing all my questions and queries with VM support via their super duper SMS text service, have not needed to call them in over a year :D

Associate
What's the current deal with switching away from virgin and their virginmedia email addresses?

Whenever I visit my parents, the network is shocking - they acknowledge it but say they can't switch because they don't want the hassle of losing their email address.

Associate
Ah that sucks. I'd heard a few news reports of something changing in the past couple of years to prevent them taking away the addresses, but I guess none of that's been bought in. Cheers.

Caporegime
You need to create a new email account (at this point probably a domain hosted with someone like Google, Office 365 or Fastmail so you are never at the complete mercy of a third party provider) and then forward everything from your VM email to the new account, and then set a rule to flag everything that was sent to your VM address. Gradually you can log into each service and update contact details, until you get to the point where you've gone a few months without anything arriving. Then you can switch it off.

The sooner you begin this process the sooner you can move ISP.

Associate
I'll suggest it to them, but they're the sort of people that would rather do nothing and live with the bad situation rather than put the effort in to sort it out! Thanks for the advice though, definitely seems like the easiest way of doing it.

Soldato
I'll suggest it to them, but they're the sort of people that would rather do nothing and live with the bad situation rather than put the effort in to sort it out! Thanks for the advice though, definitely seems like the easiest way of doing it.

Being tied to ISP email shouldn’t be a thing in this day and age, we’ve had numerous free email providers for decades, domains and paid hosting are a few quid a year, regardless of which ISP they use now or in the future, why not set-up a family orientated domain with email and move them over? It’ll save any of this being an issue in the future.

Caporegime
Well, my initial cheap 12 months with Virgin is up, M500, Maxit TV, Talk Weekends and a 5GB SIM for around £35. The next bill is £72, will I be able to renegotiate for the ultimate oomph bundle around this price? If not I'll just downgrade to an internet only contract.

Associate
Well, my initial cheap 12 months with Virgin is up, M500, Maxit TV, Talk Weekends and a 5GB SIM for around £35. The next bill is £72, will I be able to renegotiate for the ultimate oomph bundle around this price? If not I'll just downgrade to an internet only contract.

That is really good deal, I am paying around £50 for m350, mix tv and talk weekends. Currently on rolling contract as I still have discounted price till mid August but need to call them to get a new deal.

Associate
Just switched to VM and had it installed today, is it something that will improve over time or is the latency I am seeing simply what it is.

So on Sky doing a test on fast.com I am seeing a latency of 2ms and 10m loaded/unloaded on VM I am seeing 12ms and 30ms for same tests and indeed when I jump on my work VPN in Germany instead of seeing 38-40ms I am seeing 54-60ms, it is a bit disappointing to be honest, anything I could look at to improve, sure the bandwidth is great around 660-750Mb which is superior to 156 I was getting but the important bit of any network is latency.

Back
Top Bottom