Wondows 11, not upgrading till I have to,

Soldato
Hmm I'm no fan of 10 so might give it try when its officially out. Honestly it depends on how much more bloatware theres going to be in it you'd almost suspect the reason the cpu list is so short is you need them to keep up with all the garbage they're going to push on you..

Associate
I'd make the jump to 11 but concerned about TPM requirements because my own PC and couple of others in the house don't have it. I hope there's some official workaround for this, not that I'm against increased security, its just that this more or less abandon everything prior to 8th-Gen approach seems rather impractical and quite wasteful tbh.

Soldato
I have a z87 (Haswell) motherboard with a TPM header. I was going to buy a TPM chip, figured for 20 odd quid why not. Until I noticed you can only get them on the Bay and the prices have gone silly.

I don't care for win11 that much and they may never allow an install using a 4th gen i7 anyway. I'm told Win10 21H1 doesn't technically support Haswell either even though I'm running it.

Soldato
I have a z87 (Haswell) motherboard with a TPM header. I was going to buy a TPM chip, figured for 20 odd quid why not. Until I noticed you can only get them on the Bay and the prices have gone silly.

I don't care for win11 that much and they may never allow an install using a 4th gen i7 anyway. I'm told Win10 21H1 doesn't technically support Haswell either even though I'm running it.

Just seen that too, prices have gone nuts £200+ for a 20pin TPM chip... I have a 20pin TPM 1.29 available and had hoped to be able to flash it from 3.19, but doesn't look like it.

I've got an X99-S. Might see what 14 pin TPMs are around as I have a board that supports that too.

Man of Honour
There are going to be a whole load of "useless" high spec older laptops people will sell off cheaply when they can't upgrade to 11. It's going to be great for us Linux users :)

The prices on these TPM 2.0 modules is ridiculous on the bay and the rain forest, they were around £15 - £20 but now they are way above. I have a 12 pin TPM connector on my Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 motherboard and I think the best route would be a 12 pin TPM 2.0 module but there is no way that I am parting with that kind of money, it's a scalpfest!

I beat the scalpers by day or so... and pre-ordered one for £13.

Dear Customer,

We are writing to you regards your recent order of a TPM module. We have experienced a surge in demand over the last few days due to the current uncertainty around the requirements for the recently announced Windows 11 operating system. This surge may result in longer than normal wait times on pre-orders of TPM modules from the manufacturers. Yesterday, we have sent emails to all current customers to confirm current estimates based on allocation. If you have not yet received a date, rest assured we are working on this based on manufacturer production forecasts and we will update you as soon as the information comes through to us.

Should you find that you no longer require a TPM module then we have a new system to allow you to cancel your order online easily without needing to get in touch with us directly.

Hmmm yeah... I think I will keep that pre-order going thanks lol.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
It’ll be the features, for me it’s DirectStorage. I wonder if it will only be games that benefit or if the OS and apps can benefit as well.

Same here. If DirectStorage, or Nvidia’s I/O, work as well as they’ve led us to believe then I’ll update as soon as it hits general release.

If not, then I’m in no rush. Only game on my PC so unless there’s no benefit to gaming then I’ll not be in a hurry to update.

Soldato
I'd take the specs with a pinch of salt - though to get the best out of it, of course they're going to recommend you upgrade.

I've seen so many videos on this on YouTube. It's a pre-release beta test operating system. Of course they're not going to test it with a 8-10 year old CPU or board which is why it won't be in the requirements - this may change as it gets closer to release.

I quite like the look of it and I'm sure it will improve between now and launch - I'll likely upgrade as soon as I can. The DirectStorage interests me from a gaming point of view.

M.

Associate
I shall stay with my old Win 10..I can't afford to build or buy a New PC anyway. Just bought a few lenses for camera so All Cash gone...
I do not like the look of this new Win 11 anyway. Just more Spying and Bloat-ware we do not need..

Back
Top Bottom