Monitor recommendations? - 27” IPS 144Hz+ 1ms Response Time (G-Sync compatible) - £300-450 *Not Asus

Associate
Afternoon all,

need to get myself a new monitor as the title says along with the specifications listed.

I’d like to avoid Asus monitors as I had so many nightmares with a Swift PG278Q in the past.and it’s really put me offer there monitors.

I’m learning towards LG, Samsung, Benq, Dell + any other recommendations.

G-Sync would be a plus to pair with my 3080 but it’s not a necessity as well as the lowest response time possible.

Looking to spend £300-400 but I may stretch to £450 if it’s compelling enough.

Thankyou so much!
Joe

Last edited:
Soldato
Lowest response time is a tricky one. You need to enable AMA or Overdrive or whatever the brand calls it. And then yes, you get the advertised lowest response time... but sometimes with issues like overshooting. So read/watch reviews and then you need a bit of luck, or you can end up with the monitor with the best "spec" but having to turn down Overdrive to Medium, which can then have slower response time than the Highest setting on another which works flawlessly.

In terms of colours and a panel that isn't as matte as typical Asus screens (in fact I'd say it errs slightly towards glossy, or perhaps better said - the surface is smoother than some grainier surfaces out there), and middle-of-the-road refresh and response (you can get higher 165Hz and response with others) you can't go much wrong with the BenQ EX2780Q which is the one I have. The Rec.709 setting and reducing brightness to your liking looks lovely, blacks become more VA-like compared to some other IPS panels. The remote control (with lithium coin battery) is handy, think all monitors should come with one. Light bleed/IPS glow has not been an issue on mine. No PWM (flicker free). My eyes never get dry or strained like with previous screens.

Cons are practically no ergonomic features. No pivot, no rotate, no height adjustment. Only tilt. If that's all you need, you do get a very sturdy stand. And it's not a monitor to be plugging stuff in and out all the time, that's neither easy nor fast due to vertical ports instead of horizontal. It also doesn't come with a Display Port cable which you'd need to enable Gsync. Then again some DP cables included in monitor boxes are rubbish so was a good excuse to buy a good quality one. No USBs either apart from one USB-C for data (not charging).

I think if you are looking for the lowest response time you may want to take a punt on something else first. But thought I'd mention the BenQ as a fall-back option perhaps. It's been my most satisfying hardware purchase for quite a while. There will often be discount codes for it.

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-ex2780q/

Associate
OP
Thanks @Danny75 for such a detailed response! Super helpful, I’ll definitely look in to the BenQ!

@Deluxe1 - is the 27GP850 a refresh of the 27GL850 and are they actually available anywhere yet? Been looking at some reviews and looks pretty solid indeed.

Associate
Afternoon all,

need to get myself a new monitor as the title says along with the specifications listed.

I’d like to avoid Asus monitors as I had so many nightmares with a Swift PG278Q in the past.and it’s really put me offer there monitors.

I’m learning towards LG, Samsung, Benq, Dell + any other recommendations.

G-Sync would be a plus to pair with my 3080 but it’s not a necessity as well as the lowest response time possible.

Looking to spend £300-400 but I may stretch to £450 if it’s compelling enough.

Thankyou so much!
Joe

I'd recommend the 27GN850-B, I guess that's the same one the guy above me suggested.

I just bought 3 LG Ultra Gear monitors which I can only give praise! from quality to menu functionality, they've been awesome! :)

Associate
OP
Been just shy of 2 & 1/2 weeks since my initial post and I'm still unsure what to go for, I'm still using an old 60hz knackered Dell panel and its barely hanging on.

I've been keeping my eyes peeled for any info on the UK release of the LG 27GP850-B but I don't know if its even going to happen based on some comments I've seen. I know its been available from the Italian rainforest but I'm only willing to buy from the UK.

I've had some Samsung G7 recommendations thrown my way but I've read some negative reviews and videos and can tell its not for me.

My budget is still ideally £400 max, potential stretch to £450 if compelling enough.

The only 2 worthy contenders currently are:
- LG 27GL850-B -
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-2...le-widescreen-led-gaming-monit-mo-155-lg.html
- LG 27GN800-B -
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-2...-led-widescreen-gaming-monitor-mo-15y-lg.html

I can't work out the discernible difference between the 2 in all honesty. Also, which one of these is the 27GP850-B a refresh of?

I can see the AOC AG273QXP - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...een-led-backlit-gaming-monitor-mo-05l-ao.html - is up for pre-order on OCUK but haven't seen any reviews/videos of it currently.

Cheers guys, appreciate all the help.

Joe

Soldato
I can't work out the discernible difference between the 2 in all honesty. Also, which one of these is the 27GP850-B a refresh of?
GP is refresh of GL with difference being HDMI 2.1.
Which doesn't make any difference with 2560x1440, because DP 1.4 has anyway enough bandwidth to not need lossy compression.
4K 27GN950 is different thing needing use of DSC, while HDMI 2.1 of refreshed 27GP950 allows use without it.

"Full hundred" models have standard old sRGB gamut.

Here's review of that AOC with good response time measurements:
It's same LG's (first gen?)Nano-IPSpanel as in 27GP950 and also Dell S2721DGF with same strengths and weaknesses.
Though backlight's minimum brightness is set higher.

Associate
OP
Hey EsaT,
cheers for the info about the GP/GL and the HDMI differences, didn’t realise that.

The AOC monitor doesn’t look to bad based on that review, suppose it’s just a matter of what hits the market first!

Soldato
The AOC monitor doesn’t look to bad based on that review, suppose it’s just a matter of what hits the market first!
There's actually newer AU Optronics panel beating LG in response times while offering top level for IPS contrast.
In MSI monitor using it stand is just total cheapo without really any adjustments.
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/msi/optix-g273qf

MSI OPTIX 27" G273QF 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync Widescreen LED Backlit Gaming Monitor= £248.99

Associate
There's actually newer AU Optronics panel beating LG in response times while offering top level for IPS contrast.
In MSI monitor using it stand is just total cheapo without really any adjustments.
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/msi/optix-g273qf

MSI OPTIX 27" G273QF 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync Widescreen LED Backlit Gaming Monitor= £248.99
I should get the above MSI Optix tomorrow, will let you know how it performs, I was looking for a similar priced monitor without all the bells and whistles but good for gaming.

Associate
I'm really interested in this MSI monitor, how are you finding it?
Well I have had it for 3 days now and it's been great, more clarity than my 3 x LG TN panels for sure but then again they are only 1080p, this is 1440p.

I could only find one or two reviews for this specific monitor on YouTube so not much info to go on really.

So my main game at the minute is Modern Warfare with some Warzone thrown in and to start with I had to change a few settings to get things to run nicely. I couldn't get the colours right on the MSI for a while until I realised I must have hit a coloured blind setting, all good after and for some reason the game set my monitor to 4k instead of 1440, but anyway that's irrelevant now because the monitor runs sweet.

I heard reports that the blacks may not be clear black in a darkened room but I find them fine, no worse than my LG monitors.

I've not tried any other games so far but I expect them to run and look good, overall for the price I think this is a great buy, yes there are better 1440p monitors out there but they are much more expensive.

Associate
Well I have had it for 3 days now and it's been great, more clarity than my 3 x LG TN panels for sure but then again they are only 1080p, this is 1440p.

I could only find one or two reviews for this specific monitor on YouTube so not much info to go on really.

So my main game at the minute is Modern Warfare with some Warzone thrown in and to start with I had to change a few settings to get things to run nicely. I couldn't get the colours right on the MSI for a while until I realised I must have hit a coloured blind setting, all good after and for some reason the game set my monitor to 4k instead of 1440, but anyway that's irrelevant now because the monitor runs sweet.

I heard reports that the blacks may not be clear black in a darkened room but I find them fine, no worse than my LG monitors.

I've not tried any other games so far but I expect them to run and look good, overall for the price I think this is a great buy, yes there are better 1440p monitors out there but they are much more expensive.

Thanks for taking the time to write this. The specs for the monitor look good, but it seemed too good to be true at £250, and, like you said, not many reviews yet.

I'll pick one up tomorrow hopefully, largely to play Warzone!

Associate
I've been wanting a 1440p monitor for a while, I currently have 3 x LG 24" 144Hz monitors which I used for a few years for sim racing until I tried VR, that's a completely different thing all together and must be tried.
So when deciding on a 1440p monitor I had to have a main monitor (MSI G27QF) an LG 1080p either side and one up above, as you can see the bezels on the LG's are massive compared to the MSI.

The system runs these monitors fine, although with the extra monitor and the 1440p 165 hz MSI the average temp has risen by around 4°

Monitor setup

Also the viewing angle on the LG is very noticable in this pic, the MSI is great

Back
Top Bottom