• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
The faster one. But perhaps the memory forum might know better ;)
Ryzen does like fast ram with tight timings, I've got the same cpu as yours and I've got 4x8Gb 3200 CL14 8-Pack Bdie. Runs great with no lags or stutters in games, if thats relevant.
Alright cheers, so CL18 is bad then? Will there be a significant performance boost with CL16 3600 vs CL18 3600. And also will CL18 stutter. Also what’s Bdie mean?

Associate
Alright cheers, so CL18 is bad then? Will there be a significant performance boost with CL16 3600 vs CL18 3600. And also will CL18 stutter. Also what’s Bdie mean?
No, CL18 is not bad! If you ran those two memories in separate tests while gaming I would be extremely surprised if you would notice any difference. You might see a tiny difference if running benchmark tests.

Associate

As @G Byram said, CL18 is not bad. I built my new computer the same time as 3 other friends, I use CL16 and they used CL18, all at 3600 with Ryzen zen 3, all our computers are super fast for gaming and can't see the difference.

edit: just @ing properly

Last edited:
Associate
As @G Byram said, CL18 is not bad. I built my new computer the same time as 3 other friends, I use CL16 and they used CL18, all at 3600 with Ryzen zen 3, all our computers are super fast for gaming and can't see the difference.

edit: just @ing properly
Hmm so both the ram im interested in are g skill, worth the extra 30 quid for cl16 over CL18?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm so both the ram im interested in are g skill, worth the extra 30 quid for cl16 over CL18?

There's plenty of videos on YouTube testing various ram speeds. And what difference it makes in gaming. The question is whether YOU feel its worth the extra £30 for faster ram. If money is tight and £30 seems a lot, then cl18 will do you fine, if £30 doesn't seem much, then go for it, and enjoy the tiny boost and peace of mind you got the better ram :)

I've no idea how much the ram you're looking at costs, or how much you need /want. But if cost is a factor then I would for example skip having 32Gb and go for 16Gb of the fastest I could afford. For example : https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-001-8p.html

But that's just my view. ;)

Associate
There's plenty of videos on YouTube testing various ram speeds. And what difference it makes in gaming. The question is whether YOU feel its worth the extra £30 for faster ram. If money is tight and £30 seems a lot, then cl18 will do you fine, if £30 doesn't seem much, then go for it, and enjoy the tiny boost and peace of mind you got the better ram :)

I've no idea how much the ram you're looking at costs, or how much you need /want. But if cost is a factor then I would for example skip having 32Gb and go for 16Gb of the fastest I could afford. For example : https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-001-8p.html

But that's just my view. ;)
I want 32GB. Price difference is 185 vs 216 quid. I don’t want to waste money on something that I’m not going to benefit from, but at the same time if the performance is better in terms of FPS, or something else then yeah I may get the faster timings but idk

Associate
I see there's actually 3080 cards in stock on other websites. I could even add it to my basket, prices are up on £1299 though. I wonder are there batches of cards coming through now? Fingers crossed there's no talk because they're busy dealing with incoming stock.
It's likely just stockpiled stock, fingers crossed I'm wrong though haha :D

Associate

In terms of timings if you were comparing a 3200 MHz CL16 kit against a more expensive 3600 MHz CL18 kit, then it probably won't be worth the extra money for the 3600 MHz kit, since the delay calculation works out to the same value.

Associate
It's likely just stockpiled stock, fingers crossed I'm wrong though haha :D

You can get 3080's easily, I was offered a Gaming Z Trio (LHR) for £1099 from a reputable retailer and they had plenty available and plenty of time for me to confirm the order. But in reality that GPU is worth like £800 tops so not going to pay that.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
You can get 3080's easily, I was offered a Gaming Z Trio (LHR) for £1099 from a reputable retailer and they had plenty available and plenty of time for me to confirm the order. But in reality that GPU is worth like £800 tops so not going to pay that.
£800?! that's way below retailer cost. There's been no real indication of cost pricing coming down. In fact, this month the container shipping cost, which pre-covid was $1200, and a couple of months ago was $12,000 has now topped $20,000 :(

Associate
£800?! that's way below retailer cost. There's been no real indication of cost pricing coming down. In fact, this month the container shipping cost, which pre-covid was $1200, and a couple of months ago was $12,000 has now topped $20,000 :(
I bet it's all the Chinese miners trying to ship their under MSRP mined cards :cry:

Associate
The trouble I have is that I have no idea what is a reasonable price and what isn't. Take, for example, 3080Ti: With MSRP being well below the reality of non-FE cards, and no prices on the OCUK shop to act as a guide how can I see what's an unreasonable markup and what isn't. I know that OCUK are not showing prices of items not available but is there anywhere where an expected guide price can be suggested by those in the know (i.e. OCUK staff)?

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
The trouble I have is that I have no idea what is a reasonable price and what isn't. Take, for example, 3080Ti: With MSRP being well below the reality of non-FE cards, and no prices on the OCUK shop to act as a guide how can I see what's an unreasonable markup and what isn't. I know that OCUK are not showing prices of items not available but is there anywhere where an expected guide price can be suggested by those in the know (i.e. OCUK staff)?
it depends on model as much as anything. Most Ti's have gone up a little since launch, except for one brand who shall remain nameless, who were overpriced from the start. Nvidia's MSRP was, as always, fictional. With the only AIB's hitting it, doing so based on small numbers funded from their own back pocket (to keep NV happy)
The cheaper AIB Ti's I'd expect to retail around £1500-1600 right now but you can add a few hundred for a premium card.

Associate

I'd pay that for one right now!

Associate
Well holy god. It's actually happened. Just got shipping notification. Gigabyte gaming OC 3080.

By my own calculations I was somewhere in the teens. I was low 20s last time I got an email update but cards had come in since then.

Associate
In terms of timings if you were comparing a 3200 MHz CL16 kit against a more expensive 3600 MHz CL18 kit, then it probably won't be worth the extra money for the 3600 MHz kit, since the delay calculation works out to the same value.
im not intersted in 3200, i wanted to compare 3600 mhz cl16 vs 3600mhz cl18, both same speeds but different timings

Associate
i paid 1099.99£ for my 3080 back in march and was sold by OcUK. not a bad price back then. an ok price now. mine is not LHR so i could mine my GPU though

Back
Top Bottom