Valve announces the SteamDeck

Soldato
It is a handheld PC, not a console, that is more powerful than any comparable device on the market, while being much cheaper.

Typically don't have a use case for a mobile gamming device, but something i can take to work and dump on my desk as a PC i perhaps do. Simple access to the steam library makes a difference, not having to buy in and spend again on a proprietary system for minimal use, why i normally gloss over handheld devices.

Soldato
https://www.steamdeck.com/en/

Looks really interesting. Like a big boys switch.

Starting at £349 for the basic system. Can also be used as a PC.

Steam Deck™ is the most powerful, full-featured gaming handheld in the world.
We partnered with AMD to create Steam Deck's custom APU, optimized for handheld gaming. It is a Zen 2 + RDNA 2 powerhouse, delivering more than enough performance to run the latest AAA games in a very efficient power envelope.

1200x800 60Hz LCD might let it down though.
gunna reserve one.

Just trying to figure out how powerful the gpu is first. comparable to saya 2070ti mobile gpu?

Soldato
Just trying to figure out how powerful the gpu is first. comparable to saya 2070ti mobile gpu?

It has 8 compute units, claiming 1.6TF, compared to a Radeon RX5300M that has 22 compute units and claims 4TF, or an RX6700M with 36 compute units claiming 10TF.

I think a mobile 2070 Super is around 7TF.

So no, not really anywhere near comparable to a mobile 2070 Super.

Then again, when mobile, it's only trying to drive a 1280x800 screen, so it doesn't need to be an ultra powerhouse.

Soldato
I think it is very good value, a gaming PC for £400. It's a great entry point to get into gaming PC or games that is specific for the PC.

I don't think i can build a PC to do this for the same price. I am tempted to get one.

It'll be interesting to see it's performance when 'docked' - driving a 1280x800 screen I reckon it'll be absolutely fine.

Stick it on a 1080p screen though and it's not much more than a very low power 'gaming' laptop.

Associate
It'll be interesting to see it's performance when 'docked' - driving a 1280x800 screen I reckon it'll be absolutely fine.

Stick it on a 1080p screen though and it's not much more than a very low power 'gaming' laptop.

IGN 31 Questions video the guys mention you'll have full access to the settings as if it were a desktop but the defaults within the console are 'very balanced' to give a good experience. There are videos showing it running Crysis and Jedi Fallen which are quite taxing games and its buttery smooth.

Caporegime

I think the problem is that PC games that is designed for pad will be on consoles (and I already have a Series X and PS5). PC games that is designed for mouse/KB won't be that great on this , especially games like the Age of Empire style games where the more screen estate is helpful. Especially competitive multiplayer FPS game which you will be disadvantaged so i wouldn't think would be what i would play on this. low res means hard to spot others and as well as the frame rates.

Just thinking what genre of PC games i like to play and honestly i am struggling.

Associate
I think the problem is that PC games that is designed for pad will be on consoles. PC games that is designed for mouse/KB won't be that great on this, especially games like the Age of Empire style games where the more screen estate is helpful. Especially competitive multiplayer FPS game i wouldn't think would be what i would play on this. low res means hard to spot others and as well as the frame rates.

Just thinking what genre of PC games i like to play and honestly i am struggling.

Roguelikes will play very well on this. I will be happy to game on this whilst I'm doing bits and pieces around my newborn daughter who's due in the next week or so, and yes I know the console is due December this year :rolleyes:. It will deffo help scratch my gaming itch between feeds and tending to her.

Soldato

Exactly. It's a handheld laptop with less spec and less versatility. It's your money and you don't need my permission to spend it, but I don't see any reason to buy this thing other than "I like toys".

Associate
I like this a lot, but I've had my eye on the GDP Win mini PCs that are very similar to this for a few years now.

With those you get a mini keyboard as well as Windows 10, along with integrated controllers but they do cost a lot more.

I think Steam have learned from various hardware non successes like the Steam controller and Steam consoles, I expect this to be very good, the price is good too, but I think I'll wait and see what the next GPD Wins are like as well.

Soldato
There are videos showing it running Crysis and Jedi Fallen which are quite taxing games and its buttery smooth.

On a 1080p screen?

I've no doubts it'll perform well for it's own low res screen but 1080p will be double the pixel count.

In all honesty, for anyone happy with low res, medium details I suspect you could easily put together a capable £459 gaming PC if people are thinking of using this docked as some sort of cheap entry to PC gaming as Raymond's post starts to suggest.

It's a good bit of kit for what it is but I think people are already getting carried away - @jonneymendoza is looking at it wondering if what amounts to a 'mobile phone style' SoC is going to be on par with a 2070 mobile GPU for £459. It's clearly not.

Back
Top Bottom