Road Cycling

Soldato
Yay that worked! Brilliant site, thanks for that both!

Obviously not the fastest still but work in progress :) Will be focusing on my 30-50km routes for training for a bit but couldnt resist with the good weather

https://www.strava.com/activities/5680486465

tp51MiWh.jpg
tp51MiW.jpg

Soldato
Oh come on guys I was half hoping you'd just tell me what to do! :p

Go disc imo especially when looking at that sort of budget.

I have a 2018 model rim brake bike that I absolutely love and am totally happy with, to the point where I’ve just spent nearly £900 on carbon wheels for it, so I’m not anti rim brake at all.

I just wouldn’t buy a new bike with rim brakes at this point in time, realistically they’re on the way out.

Soldato
After nearly 10 weeks waiting... My scribes finally arrived!

Now I knew there would be a decent difference between these and the base spec aksiums that came with the bike, but HOLY **** I was not expecting that kind of difference.

They absolutely fly! The lack of road buzz is also very noticeable and a nice change!

Soldato
After nearly 10 weeks waiting... My scribes finally arrived!

Now I knew there would be a decent difference between these and the base spec aksiums that came with the bike, but HOLY **** I was not expecting that kind of difference.

They absolutely fly! The lack of road buzz is also very noticeable and a nice change!

Mine came a couple of weeks ago too. I'd been getting a bit humpy with the wait as the communication on delays was mostly initiated by me and when they arrived they didn't look like the pictures - I've got the 24/28 heavy duty ones which have J-bend spokes instead of straight pull, but that got straightened out.

I am extremely happy with them. I came from Vision Team 30s and being a heavier rider at about 95kg I was a bit under-wheeled, these are way stronger, significantly lighter despite being high spoke count, loads stiffer. Like you say they really fly, when you put a load of power down you can really feel how stiff they are.

Rubbish picture but:

TdldVTc.jpg

Soldato
Replaced another gear cable before it snapped in the shifter. Probably 25+ in lifetime of this bike. Checked out the cable guide a little more closely and it looks a little worn. Potentially adding extra friction. Any ideas where I might actually find a Cube Agree GTC cable guide? Quick google not came up with much. Might have to try get to a Cube dealer.

Soldato
Go disc imo especially when looking at that sort of budget.

I have a 2018 model rim brake bike that I absolutely love and am totally happy with, to the point where I’ve just spent nearly £900 on carbon wheels for it, so I’m not anti rim brake at all.

I just wouldn’t buy a new bike with rim brakes at this point in time, realistically they’re on the way out.

You're just going to get subjective view points.

Don't get rim, do get rim. It doesn't really matter

PS 100% get rim
I think at this point it's totally going to come down to what is available first. I've now talked myself into saying it's worth the extra for discs if I'm already looking at the budget I am but if the rim brake one is available sooner I may go that route

the carbon wheel consideration is important though

Soldato
I think at this point it's totally going to come down to what is available first. I've now talked myself into saying it's worth the extra for discs if I'm already looking at the budget I am but if the rim brake one is available sooner I may go that route

the carbon wheel consideration is important though
LOL and I genuinely meant to type "100% get disc" there too :cry: definitely worth the extra, for all the valid points raised above.

Caporegime
Yay that worked! Brilliant site, thanks for that both!

Obviously not the fastest still but work in progress :) Will be focusing on my 30-50km routes for training for a bit but couldnt resist with the good weather

https://www.strava.com/activities/5680486465
tp51MiW.jpg
Nice one! What an effort :D.

Anyone have recommendations for a backpack. I stupidly use my wife's cheapo backpack, it's my left shoulder that's a bit sensitive (wearing the same backpack around Paris for one day gave me a 1+ year painful shoulder lol) so something with good weight distribution would be great. £50 or less seem reasonable? I only carry an extra bottle of water, keys and snacks in there.

Edit - thanks also @Roady

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine came a couple of weeks ago too. I'd been getting a bit humpy with the wait as the communication on delays was mostly initiated by me and when they arrived they didn't look like the pictures - I've got the 24/28 heavy duty ones which have J-bend spokes instead of straight pull, but that got straightened out.

I am extremely happy with them. I came from Vision Team 30s and being a heavier rider at about 95kg I was a bit under-wheeled, these are way stronger, significantly lighter despite being high spoke count, loads stiffer. Like you say they really fly, when you put a load of power down you can really feel how stiff they are

I was also getting a bit annoyed at their communication, but they gave me 5% off and a goodie bag, so wasn't too unhappy in the end. Coming from aksiums the difference is night and day. I am absolutely loving riding them. Also about 95kg, so putting power down is throwing quite a bit of weight at them, and they don't give in, the stiffness is great.

Nice one! What an effort :D.

Anyone have recommendations for a backpack. I stupidly use my wife's cheapo backpack, it's my left shoulder that's a bit sensitive (wearing the same backpack around Paris for one day gave me a 1+ year painful shoulder lol) so something with good weight distribution would be great. £50 or less seem reasonable? I only carry an extra bottle of water, keys and snacks in there.

Thoroughly recommend getting an Osprey. I have the escapist 32L, but you could get away with a much smaller one. A bit more than your budget, but they are absolutely worth it and distribute the weight really well

Caporegime
I was also getting a bit annoyed at their communication, but they gave me 5% off and a goodie bag, so wasn't too unhappy in the end. Coming from aksiums the difference is night and day. I am absolutely loving riding them. Also about 95kg, so putting power down is throwing quite a bit of weight at them, and they don't give in, the stiffness is great.

Thoroughly recommend getting an Osprey. I have the escapist 32L, but you could get away with a much smaller one. A bit more than your budget, but they are absolutely worth it and distribute the weight really well
Thank you for the quick reply and recommendation. They look nice but 32L looks way too big for me, looking into the 18 or 25L. The 25L is going for £63 which is much to my liking :).

Soldato
I've been having trouble today with my chain slipping when I push big Watts (for me anyway) through the crank. It keeps happening when I'm trying to dart onto a roundabout for example. It happened 3 or 4 times today, the first time I thought perhaps the chain had snapped, the third time the chain came off at the front. I've narrowed it down to being the big ring at the front. When I had it serviced 6 months (3,000 or so miles) back, they replaced the cassette and the chain, but he did make some comment about me being a 'big ring warrior' or something, so clearly he could see wear on the big ring. I combatted it today by trying to remember to drop into the small ring as I approached roundabouts or traffic lights and it then seemed to be fine.

So, can just the ring be replaced, or is it the crank and everything? Looking at it now, it looks like I could have too much oil on the chain. Can that cause it to slip/jump?

Fsvx81Z.jpeg

emkDD9o.jpeg

Soldato
I
So, can just the ring be replaced, or is it the crank and everything? Looking at it now, it looks like I could have too much oil on the chain. Can that cause it to slip/jump?

That needed a deep clean 2900 miles ago! The chain would also be due a refresh about now too, so most likely that.

Soldato
My wife finally got round to finishing the RC7s I bought off @Jonny ///M a few weeks back after a few redesigns! Needless to say I love them! Definitely helped having a plain backdrop for her to work with!

Loads of pics here on Instagram, and one below.

Looking good! Liked the shoes just wasn't sold on the fit. My.old Giro feel ok to start with but hurt when pushing on a bit. One day I'll find Goldilocks shoes :o

Soldato
I've been having trouble today with my chain slipping when I push big Watts (for me anyway) through the crank. It keeps happening when I'm trying to dart onto a roundabout for example. It happened 3 or 4 times today, the first time I thought perhaps the chain had snapped, the third time the chain came off at the front. I've narrowed it down to being the big ring at the front. When I had it serviced 6 months (3,000 or so miles) back, they replaced the cassette and the chain, but he did make some comment about me being a 'big ring warrior' or something, so clearly he could see wear on the big ring. I combatted it today by trying to remember to drop into the small ring as I approached roundabouts or traffic lights and it then seemed to be fine.

That will probabaly need another chain and cassette. When you can see daylight under your chain it's not a good sign.

It's a T30 torx on the back of ultegra cranks.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Shimano/Ultegra-FC-R8000-Chainring-52T/JXAQ

Soldato
Well if you kept them clean they wouldn't need changing so often! If you change chain regularly the chain rings and cassette will last for ages!

Also learning simple maintenance like chain and cassette changes will save you time and cost and not put you at mercy of lbs.

Soldato
I can change a rear cassette, it's the chain bit I need to learn. I've not removed the front cranks or anything yet. I have a bit of a history with technical stuff of getting something slightly wrong leading to more problems.

The chain went through one of those chain bath things a couple of times only a week back. I only then dabbed on as I rolled it through once. I think what amazes me is how mush oil comes out of the chain when cleaning. Do most people take it off and leave it to soak in something?

I'm also worried cleaning the cassette as I was told the one reason the freehub went was perhaps cleaning chemicals go in and cleaned out the grease?

Back
Top Bottom