What watch do you wear?

Soldato
I wear watches because I like them, not for the name or how much they cost.. And surely if your buying a expensive watch, you want others to notice it...... Its no good having to tell people it cost whatever, for them to notice?

I’ve got eleven watches in the rotation at the moment. I’ve had only a handful of people comment on them ever and two of them were fellow watch nerds. Nobody has ever discussed value.

I buy and wear them because I like them, not to impress others. Most would think you are nuts to spend more than £100 on a watch anyway.

Soldato
Not into watches personally, but I understand they tend to go up in value...in a time when you really, really don't want to be holding cash, you could do a lot worse than building an expensive watch collection. They'll always be desirable things to some people.

I used to just pick up knocks off in Shenzen whenever I was over the border....some of them are pretty good :D

Soldato
Love it ! Perfect size, and the power reserve of 70 ish hours is great. Glad I chose it over waiting for a place in the queue at the AD for Rolex etc. Which colour did you go for ?
Yeah the power reserve is a great feature I am missing on my Seamaster/Seikos. I went with black and rose gold blood red as I already have a blue diver. It is getting much more wear than my Speedy because it wears better being slightly smaller, and I am less concerned about knocking the glass (as the Speedy is hesalite).

Very tempted to sell the Speedy as sacrilege as that may be.

Soldato
But saying all this,, people dont really notice watches because quite often there covered and they need to be quite close to see it properly anyway,. But a watch on the arm in the summer months look good regardless how nice it is, especially if yout trying to attract the opposite sex..lol;)

Very tempted to sell the Speedy as sacrilege as that may be.

Well the reason I got given the Bulova was because my sister took it somewhere to sell it and they only offered her £50 for it

Last edited:
Soldato
And surely if your buying a expensive watch, you want others to notice it...... Its no good having to tell people it cost whatever, for them to notice?

For some Im certain its true, but not for all people. I wear a Panerai PAM320 and dont wear it to get noticed, I never even mention it unless someone asks. Someone at work was giving it the big one about people wearing expensive watches just to show off and are posers. I had worked with him for 5 years and said did you know or have ever heard me mention that I wore an expensive watch ever, which he replied no. I said to him, in what way am I showing off and being a poser if he didnt even know in the 5 years I worked with him, to which he shut up.

Soldato
How come? Not enjoying it anymore?
It has just sat on the shelf unfortunately. No real occasion to wear it - if I go out with the little one I put something harder wearing as the Hesalite scratching worries me, and it isn't a necessary risk to take. Then in terms of black faced watches I have my Seiko SARB033 which I love and wears similar to the Tudor but less flashy. So it doesn't yet have an occasion for me to really enjoy it? I think if I was in an office regularly it would be my go-to, but then most of my suits are navy so I'd wear the Seamaster blue :p which means it is a jacket-less office wearing watch... and summer is all but over judging by the latest forecast! lol.

I'll give it another year or so, it owes me nothing.

Soldato
For some Im certain its true, but not for all people. I wear a Panerai PAM320 and dont wear it to get noticed, I never even mention it unless someone asks. Someone at work was giving it the big one about people wearing expensive watches just to show off and are posers. I had worked with him for 5 years and said did you know or have ever heard me mention that I wore an expensive watch ever, which he replied no. I said to him, in what way am I showing off and being a poser if he didnt even know in the 5 years I worked with him, to which he shut up.

Well I dont brag about stuff, as I hate people who do... But if your like me and know very little about watches but wanted a expensive watch, yeah I would get 1 that I liked, but with more bling, if that makes sense. But for me its a kind of a confidence thing mainly for the women, nothing more and like I say I hate posers and braggers.

This Lorus watch is the most expensive I have bought at £80.... Can you buy a non digital a watch that doesn't require changing the date?

Last edited:
Soldato
Can you buy a non digital a watch that doesn't require changing the date?
yeah, easy, just don't have a date window :p

Or one of those really expensive perpetual calendar ones and a watch winder for when not in use, assuming you don't wear it daily.

To be fair I have quartz watches that need the date changing if it's not 31 days so it's not really a big issue having to change it either way (although it would be a pain on the perpetual calendar)

Soldato
Sure, it's called a perpetual calendar

yeah, easy, just don't have a date window :p

Or one of those really expensive perpetual calendar ones and a watch winder for when not in use, assuming you don't wear it daily.

To be fair I have quartz watches that need the date changing if it's not 31 days so it's not really a big issue having to change it either way (although it would be a pain on the perpetual calendar)

I think I'll have this at £25,000:D. It dont look like £25 grands worth though

ph8j8JB.jpg

Soldato
Well I dont brag about stuff, as I hate people who do... But if your like me and know very little about watches but wanted a expensive watch, yeah I would get 1 that I liked, but with more bling, if that makes sense. But for me its a kind of a confidence thing mainly for the women, nothing more and like I say I hate posers and braggers.

This Lorus watch is the most expensive I have bought at £80.... Can you buy a non digital a watch that doesn't require changing the date?

2L3afOp.jpg

Soldato
I think I'll have this at £25,000:D. It dont look like £25 grands worth though
why stop there, £25k isn't really that expensive :p

There are some A. Lange & Söhne which come in at 10 times that price, hell there's a vacheron constantin patrimony self winding I like at 25k (never likely to own it mind) and that's literally just the hour and minute hand along with a date window lol.

Soldato
It has just sat on the shelf unfortunately. No real occasion to wear it - if I go out with the little one I put something harder wearing as the Hesalite scratching worries me, and it isn't a necessary risk to take. Then in terms of black faced watches I have my Seiko SARB033 which I love and wears similar to the Tudor but less flashy. So it doesn't yet have an occasion for me to really enjoy it? I think if I was in an office regularly it would be my go-to, but then most of my suits are navy so I'd wear the Seamaster blue :p which means it is a jacket-less office wearing watch... and summer is all but over judging by the latest forecast! lol.

I'll give it another year or so, it owes me nothing.

That's a shame, sounds like you're not really connected with it though. It's about as versatile as a piece can come! I wouldn't worry about the hesalite scratching, buff all but the worst out. I thought I'd be seeing micro scratches by now but 3 months of ownership with constant wear but still all good.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Way too blingy, you know how I feel about bling :p

I was reading some W&W articles on their 3 watch collections at under $5000 then some follow ups on reader's 3 watch collections. QUite interesting. So much variation out there which is great to see, so many tastes.

I think having had this evening to reflect after reading these I may well have my ideal 3 watch collection already. Sure I'd like a Grand Seiko (still), but it's not something that I'd consider in a 3 forever watch collection if that makes sense?

Back
Top Bottom