• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New 3070 TI arrived but looks opened and box was 'banged up'. Can someone help verify?

Associate
Hi all

Recently purchased a 3070 TI from Overclockers UK but the packaging came a bit banged up and the card seems to have something missing on the back, want to confirm if I need to be concerned about it? I am concerned that the box came looking 'opened' but it could have just been a QA check on their side. Can any 3070 TI owner help me? This is my first 'big card' purchase. I am concerned that someone has stolen a part of my GPU or it has come in a pre-owned condition (bought new from Overclockers)!

This is my first purchase from Overclockers so want to know an 'opened box' (without the seal) is normal. The inside envelope containing the manual was opened too.

https://imgur.com/a/P44K9mD

Associate
I'd give OCUK a quick call, I've bought loads of new GPUs in the past and in fact the only place I ever received one that had been opened was actually OCUK, this was a few years back now. I've never had an opened one from any other retailer and I wouldy be happy if I did.

Soldato
Doesn't look opened to me, you can tell when they've been opened the tape will leave residue and won't stick the same. I don't believe these boxes come plastic wrapped either.

When you say something is missing from the back do you mean the Port covers for the display outputs?

Need a better picture, the pics in the link don't show it at all.

Associate
@Jay85
Ive MSPainted for you what I think looks missing, where I am confused.
https://imgur.com/a/tHYzAbc
That is not a missing piece, it's a slot for if you want to mount a liquid cooling pump to the back of it, specifically it's an Intel style mount. Packaging looks sealed. Might be worth talking to OCUK if you're really worried about the packaging, but that's definitely not a missing piece. I imagine OC will ask you to try out the GPU to see if it works.

Associate
That is not a missing piece, it's a slot for if you want to mount a liquid cooling pump to the back of it, specifically it's an Intel style mount. Packaging looks sealed. Might be worth talking to OCUK if you're really worried about the packaging, but that's definitely not a missing piece. I imagine OC will ask you to try out the GPU to see if it works.

Why on earth would you mount a pump to the back of it?! If you mean an all in one liquid cooler, please for the love of god don't do this, it would short the components and fry the card

Associate
Why on earth would you mount a pump to the back of it?! If you mean an all in one liquid cooler, please for the love of god don't do this, it would short the components and fry the card
Is that not what that slot is for at the back? I don't have one on my card, but it looks exactly like an Intel mounting bracket for a CPU cooler. If that's not what it's for I apologise for misleading there.

Caporegime
image.png

Associate
Hi all

Recently purchased a 3070 TI from Overclockers UK but the packaging came a bit banged up and the card seems to have something missing on the back, want to confirm if I need to be concerned about it? I am concerned that the box came looking 'opened' but it could have just been a QA check on their side. Can any 3070 TI owner help me? This is my first 'big card' purchase. I am concerned that someone has stolen a part of my GPU or it has come in a pre-owned condition (bought new from Overclockers)!

This is my first purchase from Overclockers so want to know an 'opened box' (without the seal) is normal. The inside envelope containing the manual was opened too.

https://imgur.com/a/P44K9mD

How much you payed? :D

Soldato
Is that not what that slot is for at the back? I don't have one on my card, but it looks exactly like an Intel mounting bracket for a CPU cooler. If that's not what it's for I apologise for misleading there.

Would you have covered the damage costs with such bizarre advice.

I challenge you to find a single instance of someone mounting an AIO to the back of a graphics card. You literally made something random up on the spot.

Associate

It's the mounting bracket for the included cooler on the card, it's there to maintain adequate pressure between the cooler and the GPU die so that it can efficiently transfer the heat to the cooler. You can get brackets to mount an all in one (asetek usually) cooler to the front of the card.

The first such mount I was aware of was the NZXT G10: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/nzxt...fd4f5ea62b3-1627419630-0-gqNtZGzNAk2jcnBszRFi

I get that it looks similar to the intel cooler mounting, but that's because it serves the same purpose (pressure). Many cards have back-plates that cover this area but will have something similar underneath, back-plates that leave that area exposed are a recent design choice that a lot of brands are using, it may be that leaving it open allows passive heat dissipation from the chips on the back of the card, but it won't be much!

Back
Top Bottom