• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX 7900XT, 15,360 cores, MCM, Tapeout Q4

Associate
Thread Cleaned up - Keep it specifically on topic please. use another thread to talk about the issue of power draw and the good old US of A.

Thanks

So my post about the process node for these new gpus is off topic but other posts about gsync monitors is ok :rolleyes::D

I stand by my post that the upcoming RDNA3 are expected to be split between TSMC 5nm for the MCM designs such as Navi 31 (7900XT?) and the remaining monolithic designs such as Navi 33 should be on 6nm.

Must admit I'm intrigued as to how AMD have overcome the issues thought to prevent MCM designs for gaming cards but if the rumours are anywhere close, this should be an absolute beast of a card.

Pet Northerner
Don
So my post about the process node for these new gpus is off topic but other posts about gsync monitors is ok :rolleyes::D

I stand by my post that the upcoming RDNA3 are expected to be split between TSMC 5nm for the MCM designs such as Navi 31 (7900XT?) and the remaining monolithic designs such as Navi 33 should be on 6nm.

Must admit I'm intrigued as to how AMD have overcome the issues thought to prevent MCM designs for gaming cards but if the rumours are anywhere close, this should be an absolute beast of a card.

Apologies! It was caught up in the tidal wave of off topic posts!

Soldato
with so many posts removed, i dont even know what the thread was about anymore lol

What I would recommend is that we talk about the potential power-draw (some sources are saying over 450W) and avoid talking about Government regulations :)

I personally think that the potential power-draw of the 7900XT is an interesting one because the indication is that we will be creating more heat with these 5nm MCM chips rather than less, this will surely put the cap on the boost clocks.

3x8 Pin and triple-fan cooling seems like minimum bar for the 7900XT with AIO being more likely.

Associate
Oh, I had assumed the deleted posts were about nodes, dependency on TSMC and arm-chair generals telling how to protect (or even invade) Taiwan etc.
That always get things deleted and locked over on the AT forums!

Anyway, looking at Navi 23 and 6600XT, I predict that 7900XT will cost closer to $3000!

Permabanned
What I would recommend is that we talk about the potential power-draw (some sources are saying over 450W) and avoid talking about Government regulations :)

I personally think that the potential power-draw of the 7900XT is an interesting one because the indication is that we will be creating more heat with these 5nm MCM chips rather than less, this will surely put the cap on the boost clocks.

3x8 Pin and triple-fan cooling seems like minimum bar for the 7900XT with AIO being more likely.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-ad102-a...gpus-power-chugging-beasts-over-400w-rumored/

Soldato
Possibly up to 500W! PSU manufacturers are licking their lips in anticipation :p

I was saying this earlier in the thread but people kinda laughed it off, the power use on these new cards is going to be silly, the 7900x design shown says its going to be about a 630w card even on 5nm, so they will have to drop its power use to levels that will be more normal and by doing that of course it will reduce performance. They expect everyone soon to have a 1200w PSU for single GPU, but of course for the spikes that will mean a 1500w-1600w PSU :cry:, we have yet to know what next gen cpus will use too. Soon a 2KW heater in your room, I mean PC.. :rolleyes:.

This is coming from a guy with silly specifications for his pc and knows reality of it in the summer now, we will soon need to buy air conditioners for our pc rooms. They are just going down the brute force route now with power to get more performance, still not sure how AMD is going to make all them shaders get real world use and not sit idle with gaming, with compute I can see them being used, but gaming work loads humm, unless future games engines can use them and older games may get some updates to help with performance or in the drivers. We will have to wait and see, interesting times to come if the rumours are true about the gpu designs of the 7900x (hate to see the price of this if true too).

Soldato
I was saying this earlier in the thread but people kinda laughed it off, the power use on these new cards is going to be silly, the 7900x design shown says its going to be about a 630w card even on 5nm, so they will have to drop its power use to levels that will be more normal and by doing that of course it will reduce performance. They expect everyone soon to have a 1200w PSU for single GPU, but of course for the spikes that will mean a 1500w-1600w PSU :cry:, we have yet to know what next gen cpus will use too. Soon a 2KW heater in your room, I mean PC.. :rolleyes:.

This is coming from a guy with silly specifications for his pc and knows reality of it in the summer now, we will soon need to buy air conditioners for our pc rooms. They are just going down the brute force route now with power to get more performance, still not sure how AMD is going to make all them shaders get real world use and not sit idle with gaming, with compute I can see them being used, but gaming work loads humm, unless future games engines can use them and older games may get some updates to help with performance or in the drivers. We will have to wait and see, interesting times to come if the rumours are true about the gpu designs of the 7900x (hate to see the price of this if true too).

Not according to:

AMD RDNA 3 GPUs To Be More Power Efficient Than NVIDIA Ada Lovelace GPUs, Navi 31 & Navi 33 Tape Out Later This Year (wccftech.com)

AMD have had 4 years experience with MCM on CPU`s now, whereas Nv this is their first go.

Soldato
Soldato
Which Power color GPU is that? :cool:

This one here :- https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powe...aphics-card-axr9-390-ii-16gbd5-gx-185-pc.html

Devil 13 Radeon R9 390 X2 16384MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (AXR9 390 II 16GBD5)

Product information:
Devil 13 Radeon R9 390 X2 16384MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (AXR9 390 II 16GBD5)
PowerColor Devil 13 Dual Core R9 390 is built with carefully-designed Platinum Power Kit and ultra-efficient thermal design. It consists of massive 15-phase power delivery, PowerIRstage, Super Cap and Ferrite Core Choke that provides the stability and reliability for such high-end graphics solution. To support maximum performance and to qualify for the Devil 13 cooling system, 3 Double Blades Fans are attached on top of the enormous surface of aluminum fins heatsink connected with total of 10 pieces of heat pipes and 2 pieces of large die-cast panels. This superb cooling solution achieves a perfect balance between thermal solution and noise reduction. The PowerColor Devil 13 Dual Core R9 390 has the LED backlighting that glows a bright red color, pulsating slowly on the Devil 13 logo.

The Dual BIOS button design allows gamers to pursuit extreme performance in the easiest way to control. Four units of 8 pin PCI-E power connector draws more power offering constant and stable power input. What's more, to honor Devil 13 users, we have included the top-notch gaming mouse, the Razer Ouroboros, as a free gift inside the box. Why? Simply because we strongly believe our Devil 13 users deserves to have the best of the best.

The PowerColor Devil 13 Dual Core R9 390 graphics card supports for AMD LiquidVR™, GCN Architecture, Mantle, Exploit DirectX© 12, AMD CorssFire™, Virtual Super Resolution, HD3D technology, Frame Rate Target Control, and AMD FreeSync™ technologies. Once more, the Devil 13 has risen from Hell and will once again dominate the extreme gaming world with ease.

Specification:-
- GPU: Grenada Pro x2
- Stream Processors: 5120
- Core Speed: 1000MHz
- Memory Speed: 5400Mhz
- Memory interface: 512-Bit
- Memory capacity: 16384MB GDDR5
- PCI-Express X16 lane required
- 1000W Gold or greater PSU required
- Power Connectors: 4x 8-pin required
- Display Outputs: 2x Dual Link DVI, 1x HDMI, 1x DisplayPort
- Includes Razer Ouroboros Gaming Mouse