What watch do you wear?

Soldato
I know all of their watches are assembled by hand and are premium, but no Patek Philippe has ever appealed to me in looks, until I discovered this beauty.
HT4-A2826-561x700.jpg

Priced at a very reasonable £375,000

Didn't I hear something about how they've made a hairspring thinner than a human hair, for a thinner watch? The movements and the history sound impressive but I don't really like the price tags and the designs. I wear a watch I like the look of and it's not all about the movements for me.
Does any Patek Philippe watch appeal to you?
That thing is gorgeous. Given someone recently sold a $35k stainless model for $490k (given, it was in factory seals which Patek are totally against), I can imagine this going for quite a bit more than 375k.

And as Patek famously imitated Debeers - you don't "own" a Patek, you simply look after it for the next generation :p;)

Associate
That thing is gorgeous. Given someone recently sold a $35k stainless model for $490k (given, it was in factory seals which Patek are totally against), I can imagine this going for quite a bit more than 375k.

And as Patek famously imitated Debeers - you don't "own" a Patek, you simply look after it for the next generation :p;)

It's a 5976/1G 40th Anniversary which are typically around the £350k mark - https://www.chrono24.co.uk/search/i...e&searchexplain=1&watchTypes=&accessoryTypes=

That said the price of Patek on the grey market is just ridiculous at the moment. Take the 5980 in rose gold, a £80k rrp watch is around the £180k. Even if I had all the money in world I don't think I could justify paying that sort of mark-up.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Have you had a look at chrono24 for any grand Seiko's? Obviously I don't know of the particular models you like the look of but they've certainly got a number of Japanese dealers active on there.

I haven't actually looke don there have to say, will do at some point nearer the time the itch gets a little more evident though!

Associate
It's a 5976/1G 40th Anniversary which are typically around the £350k mark - https://www.chrono24.co.uk/search/i...e&searchexplain=1&watchTypes=&accessoryTypes=

That said the price of Patek on the grey market is just ridiculous at the moment. Take the 5980 in rose gold, a £80k rrp watch is around the £180k. Even if I had all the money in world I don't think I could justify paying that sort of mark-up.

It looks a very exquisite watch indeed, as you say though I wouldn't pay 350k for one even if I was on the rich list. Makes the price of a Rolex on the grey market look like a steal.
A bargain then really! :p
Truly a bargain, just need to find those extra few pennies down the back of the sofa now:D

Caporegime

Problem is that for £350k you could buy several very nice and exquisite watches, say 7 at £50k each. I know what I would rather have.

Man of Honour
That’s a woman’s watch

It's a watch. It doesn't currently belong to anyone, of any sex. If I buy it, it'll be my watch. The strap will probably be big enough - I have quite small wrists for a man.

Bit it's Japanese movement, short battery life and plastic face are just as good as any £70k watch

For the purposes of functionality, yes. Nowadays, even a very cheap watch is accurate enough for daily use. Most likely it will last a couple of years. Probably longer if I replace the battery rather than replacing the watch. But let's say only 2 years. 100,000 replacements before the cost is the same. So if the £70K watch remained functional for 200,000 years and I remained alive for 200,000 years then the £70K watch would be just as good as the £7 watch. 200,000 years is really rather optimistic for either of those things.

Man of Honour
Are watches more of a jewellery fashion item these days and not for functional use?
Surely most people just use their phone to tell the time?

IME most people ask someone who's wearing a watch because that's generally more convenient than using your phone as a clock unless you already have your phone in your hand. Not as convenient as wearing a watch yourself, of course, but watches are unfashionable nowadays unless they're a fashionable brand name and then only amongst fans of such things. Most people would only recognise the name of one or two of the fashion houses that make watches and wouldn't recognise a watch from any of them. It's a niche fashion thing. Most people do use their phones to tell the time...unless there's someone nearby wearing a watch. Wristwatches are as functional as it gets for telling the time, at least until we're all walking around with HUDs or internal computers connected to our brains.

Man of Honour
Nico's back on rappers and watches :D

That satellite dish Rolex though... [..]

That gives me an idea. Vambraces as jewellery. They have a much bigger area so a lot more sparkly rocks could be glued to them. Even better than a satellite dish Rolex! Gotta be "worth" at least a couple of million dollars! I could be Jack the Jeweller in no time.

Soldato

OK, hi guys.

I can't handle him anymore. It's not April, right? How is this even a suggestion? To strap a digital watch to the underside of your watch...

The '6 Items EVERY man should own by 35' video triggered me some what. But now we have the above.

He is smug, yes. Annoying, yes. Puts out some good content, (annoyingly) yes. But I'm done.

OK, ciao.

Last edited:
Soldato
the purposes of functionality, yes. Nowadays, even a very cheap watch is accurate enough for daily use. Most likely it will last a couple of years. Probably longer if I replace the battery rather than replacing the watch. But let's say only 2 years. 100,000 replacements before the cost is the same. So if the £70K watch remained functional for 200,000 years and I remained alive for 200,000 years then the £70K watch would be just as good as the £7 watch. 200,000 years is really rather optimistic for either of those things.

Lol, what's the +/- a day on that then ? How many years will you save / lose over the 200,000 tears ?

Soldato
It's a watch. It doesn't currently belong to anyone, of any sex. If I buy it, it'll be my watch. The strap will probably be big enough - I have quite small wrists for a man.

Fair enough. To me that’s like wearing women’s clothing though. Nothing wrong with it at the end of the day but distinctly odd.

Man of Honour
Fair enough. To me that’s like wearing women’s clothing though. Nothing wrong with it at the end of the day but distinctly odd.

The power of labelling. Imagine there are two identical pairs of socks. Same colour, same size, same shape, same everything. One is labelled "men's" and one is labelled "women's". Is that different labelling of an identical product really enough to make it important which pair a person wears?

The same watch is also labelled "unisex", by the way. Does that make a difference to how you perceive it? What if I decided to label it "men's"? Would that make a difference to how you perceive it? If labelling is all that matters, does it matter who labels it?

Soldato
@mrk you probably have some recommedations. Been tempted to buy another colour or two straps for my Hamilton. Any brand(s) you've come across/liked that you've bought?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
@mrk you probably have some recommedations. Been tempted to buy another colour or two straps for my Hamilton. Any brand(s) you've come across/liked that you've bought?

What style are you after? NATO, rubber, single pass etc? I've had loads but ultimately my favourite are natural rubber two piece now from Hirsch in the Pure range. You'll need to either transfer the buckle over or buy a new Hamilton buckle like I did if the taper is not the sa! size

Back
Top Bottom