• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What AMD Vs Nvidia experiences have you had?

Associate
So I've had my GTX 970 for a while, my wife ha shad an R9 290 for a while which we recently swapped out for another 970. Both my 970 and her R9 give very similar results in WoW which we play together.

However when loading up Minecraft with shaders on my 970, I cranked them up until I got about 45 FPS. I put the R9 in to test it out and got *half* the FPS of the 970!

I know the R9 is slightly.below the 970 anyway, but I did not expect.that much of a gap!

Soldato
Well, the GeForce256 shook up the market back in 2000 I can tell you, then the Radeon DDR dished out dazzling 32bit performance, and the 9700Pro (and then 9800Pro) kicked nVidia square in the gonads for quite a while. Happy times.

Associate
OP
Well, the GeForce256 shook up the market back in 2000 I can tell you, then the Radeon DDR dished out dazzling 32bit performance, and the 9700Pro (and then 9800Pro) kicked nVidia square in the gonads for quite a while. Happy times.
These days the gap seems to be very close. I know there's still games that tend to favour one over the other a bit, but the fact that Minecraft of all things was struggling *hard* on the R9 intrigued me. Other games we played always seemed quite close.

The 970 we just put in the wife's pc is more stable in wow but doesn't really push the max FPS. I'm kind of interested about why Minecraft was hit so hard on the AMD card

Soldato
These days the gap seems to be very close. I know there's still games that tend to favour one over the other a bit, but the fact that Minecraft of all things was struggling *hard* on the R9 intrigued me. Other games we played always seemed quite close.

The 970 we just put in the wife's pc is more stable in wow but doesn't really push the max FPS. I'm kind of interested about why Minecraft was hit so hard on the AMD card

Was the AMD card actually struggling though? Check the load and you'll probably find it was no where near 100%

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Are you interested in comparison between gfx cards newer than 7 years old?

Associate
However when loading up Minecraft with shaders on my 970, I cranked them up until I got about 45 FPS. I put the R9 in to test it out and got *half* the FPS of the 970!

I know the R9 is slightly.below the 970 anyway, but I did not expect.that much of a gap!
AMD is much worse in minecraft (on windows) than nvidia, it's because it uses opengl. I assume you were using something like optifine?

Soldato
I recently bought two 27" monitors to flank my 34" ultrawide and discovered that my Nvidia 3080 would not run three monitors together in a game unless they were *all the same resolution*. I was slowly building a second rig from parts left over from recent upgrades and just waiting for prices to come down on GPU's. But when I learned that my 3080 couldn't do what I wanted with my 3-monitor setup, I got an (overpriced) 6800XT to finish the second build and it runs all 3 monitors together...simply.

Associate
OP
AMD is much worse in minecraft (on windows) than nvidia, it's because it uses opengl. I assume you were using something like optifine?
Aaah I had no idea OpenGL would be the reason! Yeah, Optifine with a shader pack.

I recently bought two 27" monitors to flank my 34" ultrawide and discovered that my Nvidia 3080 would not run three monitors together in a game unless they were *all the same resolution*. I was slowly building a second rig from parts left over from recent upgrades and just waiting for prices to come down on GPU's. But when I learned that my 3080 couldn't do what I wanted with my 3-monitor setup, I got an (overpriced) 6800XT to finish the second build and it runs all 3 monitors together...simply.
That sounds pretty awful for something so darn expensive.. friend at work recently got a 3070 in his new PC build and it's been problematic with flickering etc. Did you get anything like screen flickering?

Soldato
Aaah I had no idea OpenGL would be the reason! Yeah, Optifine with a shader pack.

That sounds pretty awful for something so darn expensive.. friend at work recently got a 3070 in his new PC build and it's been problematic with flickering etc. Did you get anything like screen flickering?

Both cards perform properly. My issue comes down to feature differences. I'm still shocked that my triple monitor setup is so simple for AMD yet so difficult for Nvidia.

Nvidia creates stuff like DLSS and designs dedicated silicon for it, yet treats mixed-resolution monitors as if it's voodoo that it just can't understand.

(And they all have the same vertical resolution in my case with differences only horizontally)

Soldato
Permabanned
I think it was AMD's 7950 (HIS IceQ) that was frustrating due to black screens, while Nvidia's 970 was an awful experience at 1440p due to screen tearing and odd slowdowns that lead to a feeling of dizziness.

Associate
Had a mix of both brands over the last 20 odd years, probably 60/40 in favour of nvidia. Had a 9700pro die on me and a gtx470 surrender taking the mother slot with it. So 1 each on that front.

Back
Top Bottom