Yet another SSD manufacturer doing the dirty

Soldato
I've said it before and I'll say it again, you want fixed BOM parts then be prepared to pay a fortune for them. NAND flash, and controller technologies are moving at a blistering pace, similar to that or HDD's in the 90's, whilst I don't agree with the practice or how misleading it can be very loose terms like up to, and approximately are used to keep the marketing correct. A model number is the total item, with isn't measured by the sum of its parts, rather ironically.

Soldato
No surprise Samsung is joining others in it.
They've never had qualms about trying make people think they're getting MLC instead of of QLC with their purposely misleading "x-bit" MLC marketing terms.

And remember that Samsung makes both NAND and controller themselves and doesn't have to rely on what they get from market!

Man of Honour
OP
NAND flash, and controller technologies are moving at a blistering pace, similar to that or HDD's in the 90's
then we should get better items for the same price. or the same item for cheaper.
for SSDs it seems to be getting an inferior product for the same price, though...

(yes i know if we're comparing generations then clearly the trend follows)

Man of Honour
then we should get better items for the same price. or the same item for cheaper.
for SSDs it seems to be getting an inferior product for the same price, though...

(yes i know if we're comparing generations then clearly the trend follows)
It's the same with graphics cards, nobody would care if they named it differently (looking at you GT 1030), but it's lesser item for same price :mad:

Associate
oh dear... any news on whether this is likely to be rolled out to other products in their perspective ranges - e.g. WD Black, Samsung 980s?

Soldato
oh dear... any news on whether this is likely to be rolled out to other products in their perspective ranges - e.g. WD Black, Samsung 980s?
Well, despite of its name Samsung 980 is PCIe v3 drive and without DRAM to start.
So it's not like Samsung has been honest in their naming of what should have been 970 serie model.

Meh not the end of the world tbh.
Apart from the sustained write performance falling off a cliff at 115GB the Elpis controller appears to have the better overall synthetic stats.
And actual real world testing didn't really show much of a difference.

But I agree they should have marked it with a v2 revision to make it clearer to consumers that there had been changes.

When it comes to NVMe SSD's I've always said in general 'how fast, is fast enough' being that most people cannot tell the difference unless they are doing large file intensive reads and writes all of the time.
I mean I'm still using SATA SSD's for additional storage because they are cheap and even at 550Mb/s they are still plenty fast enough for most tasks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom