What watch do you wear?

Associate
I’m a sentimental when it comes to my watches, I can’t convince myself to let them go unfortunately :D

And while you are entitled to not like its look and esthetic I disagree with your comment when it comes to the quality and finish. For a £559 watch what you get is quite impressive.

Soldato
I’m a sentimental when it comes to my watches, I can’t convince myself to let them go unfortunately :D

And while you are entitled to not like its look and esthetic I disagree with your comment when it comes to the quality and finish. For a £559 watch what you get is quite impressive.
I think we're missing the money shot on how thick it is?

Soldato
I'm not loving that tourbillon. The design is a mix of AP and Parmigiani but overall it just looks poorly executed and finished. Whilst I see the appeal of wanting to own one, I'd rather put my money elsewhere. If you sold your Cartier, Panerai etc. you could afford a Swiss tourbillon from the likes of Angelus.
But then you get into the whole area of just how 'Swiss' the watch is, if you're really fussed about having 'Swiss'. The rules are rather more open to interpretation than are first apparent, and I'm sure you're aware of all that malarkey!

I think it looks rather good with its Vacheron Overseas-y bezel and brushed PP Nautilus-y bracelet.

Soldato
Wondering if I could garner some views, my wife and I can’t decide between the Rolex Datejust 36 or 41 for her. I would probably say 36 as it looks more elegant and I think would be more comfortable as an everyday watch but she’s leaning towards the slightly oversized look of the 41 (which does also fit her wrist and looks good on her too). Both options are rose gold and steel with oyster bracelet. What do you think about the longevity of the oversized look, is it here to stay or a passing fad :confused:

Soldato
But then you get into the whole area of just how 'Swiss' the watch is, if you're really fussed about having 'Swiss'. The rules are rather more open to interpretation than are first apparent, and I'm sure you're aware of all that malarkey!

I think it looks rather good with its Vacheron Overseas-y bezel and brushed PP Nautilus-y bracelet.
That's very true and good point to raise, but it's worth mentioning that Angelus is a brand from Manufacture La Joux Perret, and all their components are made in house at their HQ in La Chaux-de-Fonds. They aren't cheap but for a fully Swiss made tourbillon it's not terrible value.

Soldato
Wondering if I could garner some views, my wife and I can’t decide between the Rolex Datejust 36 or 41 for her. I would probably say 36 as it looks more elegant and I think would be more comfortable as an everyday watch but she’s leaning towards the slightly oversized look of the 41 (which does also fit her wrist and looks good on her too). Both options are rose gold and steel with oyster bracelet. What do you think about the longevity of the oversized look, is it here to stay or a passing fad :confused:
Sounds like you've answered your own question wrt elegance. What does she prefer?

Soldato
I think you should wind your neck in and leave it to your wife, lest you end up de-balled. Larger is much more fashionable and there is a reason why you can pick up ladies watches so cheaply.

Last edited:
Associate

If the watch is for her to wear alone then I'd just go for whatever she likes best ;)

Soldato
I'd probably try to edge towards the smaller one, partly because trends are going smaller but also imo on women I'd say a 'lighter' watch is more suitable if they dress up etc where you don't want it overpowering the whole look. If it's purely for casual then it's not so much of an issue.

At the end of the day though it's her choice as she's the one that's got to wear it. The good thing is at this moment in time you could likely buy the 41mm, sell it and make a profit then buy the 36 if she changes her mind lol.

Just for context, my current watches are 40-44mm and I have an 8inch male wrist.....

Last edited:
Caporegime
Please, don't listen to people talking about 'fashionable sizes', because the last thing you should worry about when making a significant purchase like this is any kind of current fashion fad. Focus on a timeless and elegant look that will still look good in 20 years.

41mm would look ridiculous on a woman unless she has huge man-sized wrists and 36mm is generally on the border of acceptable for a regular womans wrist while retaining an elegant look. The ideal size for a slim lady wrist is 31mm with jubilee bracelet like this one Rolex Datejust 31 Watch: White Rolesor - combination of Oystersteel and 18 ct white gold - M278274-0014

You can google tons of reviews and wrist shots that show various sizes on women and you will quickly see that 41mm, which is a mens size, just looks daft on a woman and is a sure-fire way to regret a purchase later down the line.

Soldato
It is a very meaningful gift for us so you are right to draw focus to the timelessness of the piece I think.

Clearly you feel strongly about the current larger size trend :D As I mentioned, the 41mm looks fine on her but I do have concerns about the longevity of the style, as one day it will be passed down to our daughter.

Caporegime
It is a very meaningful gift for us so you are right to draw focus to the timelessness of the piece I think.

Clearly you feel strongly about the current larger size trend :D As I mentioned, the 41mm looks fine on her but I do have concerns about the longevity of the style, as one day it will be passed down to our daughter.
Please post a shot of her wrist with a 41mm on it so we can see... because unless she has large (for a woman) 6+" wrists then it is not at all going to look proportional.

Man of Honour
Last watch for a while but I couldn’t resist and got it cheap

TByAPF7.jpg

I’ve managed to set the date correctly now :p the dial is a much darker blue in most lighting but when the light hits it, it really does pop and it’s a lovely colour.

Soldato
Please post a shot of her wrist with a 41mm on it so we can see... because unless she has large (for a woman) 6+" wrists then it is not at all going to look proportional.
Not sure of the kind of ladies you hang out with but I'd say there is an equal mix of dainty little things and larger watches now. Take a look at Daniel Wellington and they have lots of 40mm watches for women.

They are "oversized" so purposely not meant to be proportional.

Back
Top Bottom