*** Official September 14th Apple Event (18:00 BST) ***

fez

fez

Caporegime
You always seem to post about when someone mentions TouchID. Clearly some other people like it and see it as being better for them than faceID. Interestingly the iPads are touchID still, as were the new MacBooks last year.

Thats not interesting at all. You can literally see that faceID is slowly proliferating through all their devices starting at the most expensive and premium and working its way down. The iPad has it because its basically still the same chassis from god knows how long ago. TouchID is dying in apples eyes and they won't be bringing it back, certainly not alongside faceID in the iPhones.

The reason its not in the macbooks is because there isn't space for it. They can't even fit a decent camera in them because the display is so thin.

fez

fez

Caporegime
No USBC support for another generation is just a middle finger meme now.

No USBC is partially because they are apple and **** you and part of it is that they apparently have wanted to go port-less for a few years now and are just waiting on lightning until they can. There are also a lot of people out there with quite a lot of lightning accessories. I would like they to have moved to lightning years ago personally but I don't think it will happen.

Apples focus on photo and video support in the PR says much about where we are in the IPhones lifecycle honestly, its the main differentiator for most users between the 1000 pound plus IPhone Pro Max and the cheap-as-chips Realme.

They've been doing this for quite a few years now. Persuading people that they are all photographers and films makers despite the fact most people take crap photos and very few of them. Its clearly working though as a huge number of people buy the new iPhones every year. I don't know what the percentage of yearly upgraders there are but I reckon its quite high. I know that if I replaced my X with the 13 pro I would notice a slightly faster OS and a markedly better camera and thats about it. Thats not worth £1000 for me. £500? Yeah maybe but £1000? No.

Commissario
Via the app, you can choose your phone and prepay so you just have click one button at 1pm on Friday. I've used this method on most launches where I have decided to buy a device. I think @Feek uses this method as well
I've never seen that option before - It's always been possible to add items to favourites but I've never seen a prepay like that ahead of the launch time.

Soldato
Cool thanks, didn't realise you could do that, will do it on the iPad.

Can I open the store app before 1pm and will it auto-update at 1pm or do I need to keep re-opening/refreshing?
I think it auto refreshers but not 100% sure.

I've never seen that option before - It's always been possible to add items to favourites but I've never seen a prepay like that ahead of the launch time.
Really I could have sworn I did that for my last Apple purchase.. Maybe I looking back with my rose tints on. Either way you can it on this release :p I've gone blue Iphone pro

Soldato
They've been doing this for quite a few years now. Persuading people that they are all photographers and films makers despite the fact most people take crap photos and very few of them.

The belief filters down as well - many commenters on Reddit seem to think that every single Apple user is a 'creative professional' who absolutely MUST have feature X, Y and Z, or a professional photo editor who cannot live without a screen which just happens to be colour calibrated in the exact way that Apple has calibrated the screens on their devices etc. I'm sure the truth is that 99% of iphones are used almost exclusively for social media and messaging, with the odd photo of the children or the dog.

Soldato
No USBC is partially because they are apple and **** you and part of it is that they apparently have wanted to go port-less for a few years now and are just waiting on lightning until they can. There are also a lot of people out there with quite a lot of lightning accessories. I would like they to have moved to lightning years ago personally but I don't think it will happen.

Exactly - they want to jump straight from Lightning to portless so why introduce USB-C as a stop-gap?

Soldato
I'm sure the truth is that 99% of iphones are used almost exclusively for social media and messaging, with the odd photo of the children or the dog.

That social media though will be thousands of photos and crappy videos of food, girls forcing their boyfriends to take photos of them for instagram, stupid dancing/singing in front of the camera for 30s. That kind of rubbish is all over tiktok, instagram etc...

Soldato
So something not many picked up on is that battery life in some instances is an insane amount better.

For example, if you're watching video eg YouTube the battery life goes from 12 hours on the 12 pro to 25 hours on the 13 pro. If you're going to be doing a lot of web browsing, reading emails and watching YouTube or videos then you will get to enjoy massively improved battery life over last years model. 120hz gaming will still absolutely tank the battery but having a variable refresh rate will offer good improvements for mixed content consumption and if the content you typically consume is at a low framerate like 24fps movie or static like a webpage you will get a massive battery life improvement

Soldato
So something not many picked up on is that battery life in some instances is an insane amount better.

For example, if you're watching video eg YouTube the battery life goes from 12 hours on the 12 pro to 25 hours on the 13 pro.

Where do you get this stuff from? :p

They said either +1.5hrs or +2.5 hours depending on the model. And that might not even be a screen-on-time increase. Part of it might be listening to music or something.

Soldato
Where do you get this stuff from? :p

They said either +1.5hrs or +2.5 hours depending on the model. And that might not even be a screen-on-time increase. Part of it might be listening to music or something.

Its on the Apple website duh

look at the specs for the battery, it's 28 hours of video play back for the 13 pro max more than double the 12 pro max

https://www.apple.com/nz/iphone-13-pro/specs/

Soldato
I just hope the 13 pro can take better photos than this

this is a photo taken with my X of the TV showing some white text - the text is not moving, its static and the phone is not moving

You're expecting too much from the auto mode on the phone.
A dark backlit subject like that needs to captured using manual settings, or taken with the camera (phone) stabilised.

Soldato
I see it - that's going to be down to the LTPO panel on the Pros then, because the standard 13 model isn't showing anything like such a dramatic increase.

yeah I did add a bit more to my first post explaining that it's the variable refresh rate. The battery savings there is simply because not all content needs to be shown at 60hz or greater, video can be 24hz or 30hz and static text in an email can be 10hz

Soldato
On the other hand is a battery improvement going to make a lot of people upgrade?
At this point a smartphone only needs to last a day. Whether a phone reaches end of day with 5% or 50% is largely irrelevant as people are going to top it up either overnight or in the morning before they start their day.
Quite frankly, until a smartphone can last the guts of a week between charges the battery life argument is moot IMO.

Soldato
At this point a smartphone only needs to last a day. Whether a phone reaches end of day with 5% or 50% is largely irrelevant as people are going to top it up either overnight or in the morning before they start their day.

Sometimes it's the little things - I'd feel better if I ended the day with a 50% battery than if I ended the day at 10%. Even if the 10% battery NEVER ran out during my normal use, I'd still feel better with the 50% phone. Like I said - the little things :p

Soldato
I will also throw in that the 120hz VRR on my Ipad Pro induces migraines and as a result I have fixed the refresh rate to 60hz. I can't imagine the Iphone 120hz being much different but willing to be corrected :D

Back
Top Bottom