Dyndns on Technicolor TG589 v2 question

Associate
I'm probably missing something obvious here, but grateful if someone could point it out!

I cannot get my Technicolor TG589 v2 to update my freedns.afraid.org account with refreshed IP addresses.

Freedns has instructions here - https://freedns.afraid.org/guide/dd-wrt/ - which suggest using "dns_name,update_key" in the "hostname" field of the router's Dynamic DNS settings. I have tried putting this in the "domain" field in my Technicolor's DynDNS settings, but it just comes up with an error message saying "Label within domain name has invalid syntax. Invalid IP address."

Whereas when I leave the router settings with just the domain name and the user and pw as usual, it shows the status as updated, except that it doesn't actually update freedns when the IP changes.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong?

Caporegime
You've linked the instructions written by FreeDNS for a router running DDWRT, and then you're talking about using DynDNS on a Technicolor router.

What combination of hardware and DNS service are you using? Have you flashed DDWRT onto your router or is it running the stock firmware?

Associate
OP
You've linked the instructions written by FreeDNS for a router running DDWRT, and then you're talking about using DynDNS on a Technicolor router.

What combination of hardware and DNS service are you using? Have you flashed DDWRT onto your router or is it running the stock firmware?

Ah, hadn't appreciated that. That's the only information the website shows under "Router Setup Guide". My router's completely stock.

People still use these? haven't used one for 10 years. You really need to look into changing it for a better supported one.

Try looking in the manual.

manual-1251.pdf (setuprouter.com)

EDIT: Actually is it this model? TG589vn. There's a few versions of TG589.

That's not the right model, but I've been through manuals etc, and I've done this successfully at some point in the past.

I'm sure I've configured the DynDNS correctly in the router settings as shown below, but it doesn't seem to update the freedns service.

image-2021-09-14-233423.png

Caporegime
DynDNS is the name of a dynamic DNS service, it’s not a generic thing. If your router doesn’t support FreeDNS then you will need to have another device doing the DNS updates - this can be a PC, Raspberry Pi, NAS box etc.

Permabanned
That's not the right model, but I've been through manuals etc, and I've done this successfully at some point in the past.

I'm sure I've configured the DynDNS correctly in the router settings as shown below, but it doesn't seem to update the freedns service.

Right but you still haven't told us the model.

Also you have got an account on https://account.dyn.com/ haven't you? You are using the DynDNS service there in that screenshot.

In that screenshot it says that your IP has been updated so I'm assuming it's all working? right?

Associate
OP
Right but you still haven't told us the model.

Sorry, it's Technicolor TG589vac V2.

Also you have got an account on https://account.dyn.com/ haven't you? You are using the DynDNS service there in that screenshot.

DynDNS is the name of a dynamic DNS service, it’s not a generic thing. If your router doesn’t support FreeDNS then you will need to have another device doing the DNS updates - this can be a PC, Raspberry Pi, NAS box etc.

This is where I'm lost and ignorant :rolleyes: No, I don't have an account on dyn.com... I have an account on https://freedns.afraid.org/ I didn't know DynDNS was a particular service or that I needed an account with them for this router (if I've understood correctly).

In that screenshot it says that your IP has been updated so I'm assuming it's all working? right?

This is what's confusing me. It says it's updated, but it's obviously not updating it because every time the IP changes this is not carried over to my freedns.afraid.org account.

Associate
OP
I've also got a TP-Link Archer D2 / AC750 which is currently just serving as a wireless AP. Shall I switch the Technicolor to just serve as a modem and instead do the routing, etc with the TP-Link, if that will support the freedns service?

Soldato
That could work, if...

The Technicolor supports bridge mode/modem mode. You still haven't told us what version you have so there's no way to check. It could also have ISP specific firmware which could limit functionality (no mention of your ISP or connection type either).

The TP-Link supports FreeDNS (only DynDNS and NO-IP are mentioned in the specs).

Associate
OP
That could work, if...

The Technicolor supports bridge mode/modem mode. You still haven't told us what version you have so there's no way to check. It could also have ISP specific firmware which could limit functionality (no mention of your ISP or connection type either).

The TP-Link supports FreeDNS (only DynDNS and NO-IP are mentioned in the specs).

I did give you the model in my reply above...

Sorry, it's Technicolor TG589vac V2

Yes, I believe this router does support bridge/modem-only mode. The ISP is SSE, and the connection is a fibre connection of some sort (does 38Mbps).

Ok, so you think the TP-Link should work without problems with my freedns account?

Thanks very much for all this, by-the-way!

Soldato
I did give you the model in my reply above...
All we know is it's a Technicolor TG589 v2. With an SSE VDSL connection, chances are it's a TG589vac V2, but you've never confirmed that. They've made several very different routers over the years with very similar model numbers.
Ok, so you think the TP-Link should work without problems with my freedns account?
Only if it has support for their service. As mentioned in my post above, the specs only mention DynDNS and NO-IP as options.

Associate
OP
What are you running that needs a dynamic DNS update? Can you just run the FreeDNS client on that?

I'm running an FTP server on FreeNAS. My knowledge of FreeNas is limited... :D I'll have a look and see if it can..

All we know is it's a Technicolor TG589 v2. With an SSE VDSL connection, chances are it's a TG589vac V2, but you've never confirmed that.
I specified exactly this further up, as below:
Sorry, it's Technicolor TG589vac V2.

Only if it has support for their service. As mentioned in my post above, the specs only mention DynDNS and NO-IP as options.

Ok, I'll see if I can get it to work with this or on the FreeNAS server.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom