• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R5 3600 dying again?

Soldato
Just had a freeze, playing Overwatch because Apex not connecting; Numlock didn't work but laser and lights on mouse remained on. No signs of laggy performance in game or anything, it just froze.

I'd discount the laser on the mouse, they tend to light up as long as there is power coming out of the USB port..

Soldato
I suggest you get the machine working before you start messing with RAM timings or anything else, tweaking a system should come after it is stable, not as a means to make it stable..

Associate
OP
I'd discount the laser on the mouse, they tend to light up as long as there is power coming out of the USB port..

Someone asked me about the laser on the mouse...
And
I suggest you get the machine working before you start messing with RAM timings or anything else, tweaking a system should come after it is stable, not as a means to make it stable..
That is not what I've done...

Associate
OP
Did you even run the system at 2666 ram speed and see if it was stable? Are you even running memtest apps to test for issues quicker?

YES, I DID! LIKE I SAID I DID! CLEARLY YOU'RE NOT EVEN READING REPLIES! AND LIKE I SAID TO THE PERSON THAT SUGGESTED IT : I'LL DL THE RYZEN MEMTEST TONIGHT AND LEAVE IT RUNNING OVERNIGHT, LIKE THEY SUGGESTED I DO!

ARE YOU TWO RELATED BY ANY CHANCE?!

Soldato
YES, I DID! LIKE I SAID I DID! CLEARLY YOU'RE NOT EVEN READING REPLIES! AND LIKE I SAID TO THE PERSON THAT SUGGESTED IT : I'LL DL THE RYZEN MEMTEST TONIGHT AND LEAVE IT RUNNING OVERNIGHT, LIKE THEY SUGGESTED I DO!

ARE YOU TWO RELATED BY ANY CHANCE?!
So what was the result running at 2666mhz ram? Was it stable or not?

Associate
OP
Download the ryzen Dram calculator and run the built in ram test that comes with it overnight.

Soooo, not 1 error and it's been on for 8 hours and 45mins.

I'm pretty sure I set it right: 12 threads, I left MB per thread empty like it suggests so it ended up leaving only a few hundered Available Physical Memory and I unchecked Low Priority Threads.

Soldato
Soooo, not 1 error and it's been on for 8 hours and 45mins.

I'm pretty sure I set it right: 12 threads, I left MB per thread empty like it suggests so it ended up leaving only a few hundered Available Physical Memory and I unchecked Low Priority Threads.
That should rule out the memory being faulty and since it freezes while gaming I'd say it points to the GPU, have you got access to a spare GPU to test?

Associate
OP
That should rule out the memory being faulty and since it freezes while gaming I'd say it points to the GPU, have you got access to a spare GPU to test?

I do have another RX480 (4GB version) would be a bit of a bugger to change them as my 8GB version has a full cover waterblock on it.

However, considering the cpu just broke doing the exact same thing the replacement is doing, is it not more likely to be the PSU or even the motherboard?

Soldato
With how all the PCI-E lanes go into the CPU nowadays, it's harder to try and pin these issues down. 2 same failures on 2 different CPUS could still sadly, as you say be down to the motherboard, GPU etc.

Sounds like a tough issue to nail down, but sadly it'll need to be done 1 step at a time. I think you might need to try GPU next, then motherboard after that :(

In the past, I've tended to rebuild it outside of the case to test, that can sometimes yield different results, for example if something is shorting, or being bent due to weight etc. sometimes the mounting system of a cooler can cause bending resulting in poor connections and random issues.

Soldato
I’ve had some issues with MSI boards, mainly with topology, signalling and generally iffy BIOS’s. Never had one kill a CPU though. Sounds like a real oddball issue that’s for sure.

I’d be tempted to inspect the power connectors on the board, PSU and graphics card.

Associate

I was thinking power , or motherboard

the type of crashes dont seem consistent with memory and cpu , when I had them in the past it has always been error messages or a instant reboot

Soldato
I was thinking power , or motherboard

the type of crashes dont seem consistent with memory and cpu , when I had them in the past it has always been error messages or a instant reboot
Seems to only be happening during games though.

Associate
Odd one

You discount the gpu but I wouldn't for now

I have an rx580 that does exactly the same and the fix so far was disabling 0 RPM fan mode on it (assume the 480 has a similar setting)

Back
Top Bottom