• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R5 3600 dying again?

Associate
OP
must be some skill you got there applying thermal paste to cpu ending up getting it on gpu contacts lol :D

Haha yep mad skill

A lesson learnt..
I've seen a CPU work fine for everything before with a dGPU, then when it come to using the iGPU it just didn't work, was a single bent pin in the socket..

Things are so bloody tiny these days you have to be very careful building stuff, personally, I always put the CPU into the board and goop and heatsink it before it goes in the case just so you have everything flat when building up and it just gives you room to move things around and test before you case up.

Aye lesson learnt : rather than just wipe it with a paper towel, nail polish remover is a substitute to isopropyl alcahol. If only I did that when I took the gpu apart to clean all the goop out of the waterblock I'd of avoided 2 problems.

Associate
OP
i been using brake cleaner for years now. cheapo

Ahh now brake cleaner I've got.

I think the worst side of the GPU's contacts is a scrape rather than thermal paste (I'm sure it was like that when I got it, second hand ofc).

Either way I want to try re-establish its conductivity - will one of those pens do that has electrically conductive ink/paint?

Associate
OP
That'll probably get scratched off, show us a pic, if you can get a clear one

It's actually cleaned up a lot and I can't get it to show on camera.

Its just a different shade where the "scrape" is or was, because as I say it's barely noticeable now.

I'll just leave it, it appears to be working still.

Associate
OP
update : I was still getting crashes BUT a little different; instead of the screens going off and having to hard reset, it was freezing then giving me a gpu driver crash pop-up so I didn't need to restart.

I updated the BIOS to the latest one - a big jump in versions (not the beta one that's just come out though) and it seems to be running better, no crashes and near perfect gameplay.

Only been about 24 hours but it feels better (like it should) and I'm optimistic.

Associate
OP
Well, it's been another week and not had a crash or freeze, I've even had my overclock on too.

One tell tale sign would have been the "unstable over clock"; I was forever turning it down a notch at a time until I just took it off and then everything got worse from there.

What I've learned is : my overclock has always been stable and Bios updates are very important!

Back
Top Bottom