Energy Suppliers

Soldato
I am with PFP Energy and British Gas are putting me on this:

It's really expensive to what I was on, great!

How did they tell you what plan you are going to? I haven't heard anything yet after the email I had from Utility Point. I guess they will probably want to put me on the same plan, which is expensive like you said!

Associate
I had a similar situation with hub energy going just a few months back. Eon/eon next have taken over. Seems to be a long process though. I'm sure it was about 6 weeks ago it all started and I still haven't actually had it confirmed that eon have completed the takeover. I've submitted energy reading when asked like the day hub energy went bust and when eon were ready for me to create an account. They did email me about 2 weeks ago telling me what tariff I would be on which is fixed for 6 months. Its different to their own tarrifs but not by much and is an interim tarriff. Thing is I'm moving in the next couple of weeks so I'm hoping the switch is fully complete by then. I have plenty of money stashed in the energy account over the last few months being on that nice cheap hub energy rate which would have been banked for the winter. I will need to get that back. I will have to try and get onto the supplier at my new address then look at switching probably once I move in which should be just a few days before the stamp duty rise and the energy price cap. Might look for a long fixed term.

Soldato
7 plans! That's all!

your lucky to get 7, I got none cheaper than the tariff I have currently and that was only chosen a week or so ago. I'm and EDF customer and employee, even though I get a specific Employee only tariff its not much better than nearly all tariffs available atm.

Soldato
How did they tell you what plan you are going to? I haven't heard anything yet after the email I had from Utility Point. I guess they will probably want to put me on the same plan, which is expensive like you said!

At least you've had an email, I found out from MSE that UP had gone. Our electric is with Symbio and they're rumoured to be one of 4 more companies going under in the coming days.

Caporegime
Not looking good :(

Four more small energy firms could go bust next week

At least four of the smaller UK energy companies are expected to go bust next week amid soaring wholesale gas prices.

Industry sources have told the BBC that four firms have asked larger players to bid to take over the supply to one million customers.

This week two energy firms announced they had ceased trading.

Edinburgh-based People's Energy supplied gas and electricity to about 350,000 homes and 1,000 businesses, while Dorset-based Utility Point had 220,000 domestic customers.

At the beginning of 2021 there were 70 energy suppliers in the UK. Industry sources say there may be as few as 10 left by the end of the year.

Man of Honour
I'm with Peoples Energy through Look After My Bills so I'll just get switched.

This is the email I got:

Dear Mr Sexy De La Grey Fox
Account Number: 232198

Many of you will have heard by now that People’s Energy has had to cease trading. David and I wanted to reach out to you all and explain what happened.

As you know, People’s Energy is a Community Interest Company, set up by the people, for the people. We had a mission to provide fair, affordable and green energy for all and to help alleviate fuel poverty. We are hugely saddened that we will no longer be able to deliver on these ambitions.

Energy suppliers are facing a very difficult time at the moment due to record high wholesale energy prices that are making it incredibly challenging to operate. Four suppliers have ceased to trade in the past week alone, and there are likely to be more to follow. It is a difficult time for all, and our heart goes out to our colleagues who are now at risk of losing their jobs, along with employees from those other energy suppliers.

On Tuesday, we informed the regulator, Ofgem, that we were unable to continue to trade. They have now started the process of looking for another supplier to take over your energy supply. Please rest assured that your energy supply is secure, and that all account credit balances are protected for our domestic customers. This includes any recent top-ups that were made as part of the seasonal weighting initiative.

Ofgem’s advice is that you shouldn’t switch supplier now but wait till they have appointed a new supplier. This will reduce the risk of disruption in supply and also help facilitate the transfer of any credit balances you may have.

Whether you have been with People’s Energy for just a short time or for a long time, possibly even supporting us through crowdfunding the company at the very beginning, we want you to know that we truly valued your custom. Thank you.

Warm wishes

David and Karin

Co-founders

Caporegime
your lucky to get 7, I got none cheaper than the tariff I have currently and that was only chosen a week or so ago. I'm and EDF customer and employee, even though I get a specific Employee only tariff its not much better than nearly all tariffs available atm.

It's waay more expensive than I'm on now. But it's always going up so locked In. Can't be having it get worse

Permabanned
I'm with Peoples Energy through Look After My Bills so I'll just get switched.

This is the email I got:

Dear Mr Sexy De La Grey Fox
Account Number: 232198

Many of you will have heard by now that People’s Energy has had to cease trading. David and I wanted to reach out to you all and explain what happened.

As you know, People’s Energy is a Community Interest Company, set up by the people, for the people. We had a mission to provide fair, affordable and green energy for all and to help alleviate fuel poverty. We are hugely saddened that we will no longer be able to deliver on these ambitions.

Energy suppliers are facing a very difficult time at the moment due to record high wholesale energy prices that are making it incredibly challenging to operate. Four suppliers have ceased to trade in the past week alone, and there are likely to be more to follow. It is a difficult time for all, and our heart goes out to our colleagues who are now at risk of losing their jobs, along with employees from those other energy suppliers.

On Tuesday, we informed the regulator, Ofgem, that we were unable to continue to trade. They have now started the process of looking for another supplier to take over your energy supply. Please rest assured that your energy supply is secure, and that all account credit balances are protected for our domestic customers. This includes any recent top-ups that were made as part of the seasonal weighting initiative.

Ofgem’s advice is that you shouldn’t switch supplier now but wait till they have appointed a new supplier. This will reduce the risk of disruption in supply and also help facilitate the transfer of any credit balances you may have.

Whether you have been with People’s Energy for just a short time or for a long time, possibly even supporting us through crowdfunding the company at the very beginning, we want you to know that we truly valued your custom. Thank you.

Warm wishes

David and Karin

Co-founders
my boss had the same message .. seems that those that tried to undercut the big boys .. will die a death .. there will be a few that survive the bigger of the small ones that looked ahead ...

Soldato
Mine has collapsed (PFP) and all customers being transferred to British Gas. Only got a few months out of them unfortunately, they were cheap but I suppose that's what did it.

Caporegime
Once, I felt pretty smug about fitting expensive LED bulbs, because most people were using halogen or even incandescent bulbs at the time. Since then, I've had to replace them several times because anything over 60w seems to overheat and die prematurely, and the electricity bills have gone up regardless to compensate for any savings I may have made.

Cheapo LED's will burn out because they generally don't use an adequate heatsink or they overvolt the LED.

I went with peoples energy 6 months ago and they have just gone pop.
I have cancelled my DD as I believe I am pretty well in credit, need to read the meters and check, but I vastly overestimated the elec usage as I was doing quite a lot of mining back when I switched and turned off only a month afterwards. And of course gas usage has ben lower as I switched late spring and its been warm since.

Soldato
If you're on Octopus this might be useful. One hour of free electricity every month. Could be a good hour to crank those electric heaters in winter for some free heat :p

https://octopus.energy/powerhour/

wtf

Entries for Power Hour now closed!
Thanks for your interest in Power Hour – this super-limited trial is now full. Keep an eye on our blog to be the first to know about future cool stuff like this

The rises are insane, the industry needs hard regulation somehow.

Soldato
Yikes just had the inevitable email from green. Electric up 37%, gas up 49%, standing charges up 2p and 4p respectively. That’s the biggest increase I’ve ever seen, madness.

Needless to say it’s time to move tonight, only been with them a month.

End of year official inflation will still be 1-2% lol

Back
Top Bottom