Energy Suppliers

Man of Honour
How long are smart meters supposed to last? Ours were brand new Smets 2 gas and electric meters only fitted in April this year yet I got a email from Octopus yesterday saying they need to be replaced. I have queried this with them and am awaiting a reply. This seems extremely wasteful to me, especially as they are and always have been working correctly. The IHD is rubbish as it can't be left unplugged as the battery runs down in 6-7 hours but it's always reported the data from the meters correctly. I really don't want them to be changed and potentially have a nightmare with replacements that don't display data or not even work at all as many people have experienced.

IHD is basically irrelevant. Its just to save you having to get info from the meters.

Are the readings going to the central point going through fine?

Did Octopus fit them or another supplier? There really should be no issue in getting them working fully with Octopus anyway however, all SMETS2 I believe are fine with moving supplier, it was the SMETS1 that mostly went dumb when you switched.

Man of Honour
IHD is basically irrelevant. Its just to save you having to get info from the meters.

Are the readings going to the central point going through fine?

Did Octopus fit them or another supplier? There really should be no issue in getting them working fully with Octopus anyway however, all SMETS2 I believe are fine with moving supplier, it was the SMETS1 that mostly went dumb when you switched.

If I remember right they were fitted bwhen we were with Sainsburys Energy about a month before we switched to Octopus. They have always just worked from the moment they were installed and we have had zero problems with them. They are definately Smets 2 as it says so on them and in my Octopus account.

If they are brand new smets 2 they shouldnt need to be replaced. Message them on X (twitter) for best response.

I don't use any form of social media but I did reply to their email (which it says to do if I have any questions) but they haven't got back to me.

Soldato
If I remember right they were fitted bwhen we were with Sainsburys Energy about a month before we switched to Octopus. They have always just worked from the moment they were installed and we have had zero problems with them. They are definately Smets 2 as it says so on them and in my Octopus account.

I don't use any form of social media but I did reply to their email (which it says to do if I have any questions) but they haven't got back to me.
They don't reply quickly to emails and half the time it's an AI response unfortunately. You don't need to use the social media, just message Octopus on there.

Last edited:
Associate

Much quicker response if you contact them via social media

Caporegime
Ah sweet. No brainer then for the sunny days

I guess there’s a nice arbitrary opportunity when tracker (and agile) are low too

Last edited:
Man of Honour
They don't reply quickly to emails and half the time it's an AI response unfortunately. You don't need to use the social media, just message Octopus on there.

Much quicker response if you contact them via social media

Got a reply today saying it's a administrative error and to ignore the email.

Back
Top Bottom