Ryzen 5600X Cooler

Associate
Megapinches do you mind if I quote your post in my thread?
Np go ahead

If I had a 5800x i'd get a beefy dual tower for sure and maybe tweak my motherboard limits down and find a happy medium where it doesn't impact performance much. Not needed on 5600x though, uncapped limits not going over 80c.

This is AMD cooler guide for 5000

mxhHUC7G57c7vpejwKZyXf.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
That sounds like stock though?
Yeah that was at stock in which the 5800X can still pull 140w although there is no real point increasing the power limits on the 5800x as it already uses more juice than necessary at stock and tends to benefit more by dropping the power limits slightly.

I think I settled with a PPT of around 125 and curve optimizer at -20 all core which knocks 7c off the temps while giving a couple of 100 extra points in R20.

Associate
Yeah that was at stock in which the 5800X can still pull 140w although there is no real point increasing the power limits on the 5800x as it already uses more juice than necessary at stock and tends to benefit more by dropping the power limits slightly.

I think I settled with a PPT of around 125 and curve optimizer at -20 all core which knocks 7c off the temps while giving a couple of 100 extra points in R20.

Right ok got you its pretty much uncapped stock, 140w jeez, half of what I said about increasing limits only applies to the 5600x then. Lots of people must be running the 5600x out the box in gimped mode, wasn't an issue last gen. You done well getting those temps on that type of cooler.

Associate
If it's getting hot in gaming then it's probably down to the GPU heating up the case.
Deffo not the gpu heating the case. Custom HTPC with a shed tonne of air flow, and the cpu cooler has direct intake from outside the case. Mobo/ssd temps also not much over ambient.

That would have been the case before I dremmeled out 3 x 14cm intake holes though.
Most of the time during gaming it's not actually that bad, around 60-70c with spikes up to 90c/high 80's every now and then. Still don't seem right as that's at around 20-30% usage.

Associate
Didn't use it in the end, bought the Brocken 3 dual fan.

Sits quite happily at 29 at idle, around 50 gaming and 75 -80 in cinebench using the supplied paste.

Not sure if that's ok or not coming from a long time intel user.

Your temps still good like above sven? Did you change any settings or completely stock? Any idea how much power you're drawing as I'll bet PBO was on by default. If PBO on and you've got those temps that's hella good

Associate
OP
Your temps still good like above sven? Did you change any settings or completely stock? Any idea how much power you're drawing as I'll bet PBO was on by default. If PBO on and you've got those temps that's hella good

All I've done is enable PBO & XMP.

Long time Intel Fanboy, so I'm not sure what I need to do in the BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom