Edifier S350DB - High pitch noise on all outputs with an exception.

Soldato
OP
For the G6 I use the creative software. Plenty of options, but I don't use most of them, to be honest.
When plugged to my TV, via optical, there are less options, but the audio quality still great, driving my headphones easily but some important options still available via device's direct controls.
Depending on the headphone used the options available via software allow to fine tune the headphones. Mine plays to my satisfaction as standard.
Nice, i'm gonna be using it drive both my headphones and my new speakers, i think the only connection available to connect the speakers to the G6 is via optical as far as im aware?

If there's more way please let me know.

Edit: Ah i just realised the connectors at the back are a combo of both line out 3.5mm and optical! Never seen that before!

Associate
The rear output works as a common 3.5 jack or mini toslink cable.
If going optical, a Toslink to mini toslink cable is required. But you can plug a common 3.5 jack to RCA no problem or even 3.5 to 3.5. . It was my first interaction which a dual function port.
If using the G6 as direct mode, the same applies: mini toslink to toslink or 3.5 to RCA or even 3.5 to 3.5.
For the headphones the front 3.5 jack.

Soldato
OP
The rear output works as a common 3.5 jack or mini toslink cable.
If going optical, a Toslink to mini toslink cable is required. But you can plug a common 3.5 jack to RCA no problem or even 3.5 to 3.5. . It was my first interaction which a dual function port.
If using the G6 as direct mode, the same applies: mini toslink to toslink or 3.5 to RCA or even 3.5 to 3.5.
For the headphones the front 3.5 jack.
Perfect, getting everything tomorrow so will test it all out. I'll order a mini toslink to toslink cable as well just incase, i think the G6 comes bundled with one too but i'll get a spare.

Soldato
OP
@Drumroll @JasonM @Bill Turnip

WOOHOO 3rd time lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!! No high pitch noise! No humming, just pure perfect audio!

Freaking over the mooooooooooon! Combined them with the G6 DAC running in Direct Mode playing some hi res audio clips at 24bit 192khz and it sounds unbelievable!

Love the sound of these, there is definitely a nice notch up from the 350's.

I'm running them in QED RCA to 3.5mm to the G6 for now but i have a FOSMON optical to mini optical to test yet.

So happy! After a week of messing about, trial and error, testing i can safely say it was just down to 2 faulty units.

Massive thank you to all of you who had a hand in helping and recommending, can't thank you enough!

Soldato
Jay85, another tip. All speakers need time to run in, don't drive them to hard for the first 48 hours of use, then you can start increasing the power. Basically what happens is the material of the speaker needs time to settle in from new, once this happens they will sound better.

Soldato
OP
Jay85, another tip. All speakers need time to run in, don't drive them to hard for the first 48 hours of use, then you can start increasing the power. Basically what happens is the material of the speaker needs time to settle in from new, once this happens they will sound better.
Good to know, i’ve not pushed the volume up just done some general listening to music and light gaming.

Tested the optical line as well and it works fine, can’t really tell which sounds better tbh but the optical you definitely have to be more careful with.

Soldato
Good to know, i’ve not pushed the volume up just done some general listening to music and light gaming.

What I recommend, even when your not in the room, just leave the Edifiers playing at low volume. Then slowly over time you can increase the volume on them.

You will know when speakers run in, as you have more pronounced bass, and better mid range.

The very worst thing anyone can do, is take a brand new speaker, and drive it very loud initially.

Soldato
I'm running them in QED RCA to 3.5mm to the G6 for now but i have a FOSMON optical to mini optical to test yet.

To confirm, the Edifier does not have any RCA connections, only the 3.5mm?

EDIT. I did some research, I realise the Edifier has RCA's, but it's the G9 with the 3.5mm output.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What I recommend, even when your not in the room, just leave the Edifiers playing at low volume. Then slowly over time you can increase the volume on them.

You will know when speakers run in, as you have more pronounced bass, and better mid range.

The very worst thing anyone can do, is take a brand new speaker, and drive it very loud initially.
That's good to know, i'll be doing that when im away from the computer from now on. To know these speakers can still give more is really quite impressive!

To confirm, the Edifier does not have any RCA connections, only the 3.5mm?

EDIT. I did some research, I realise the Edifier has RCA's, but it's the G9 with the 3.5mm output.
Yes the G6 has a mini optical/3.5mm supported ports for line in and out.

Using optical for now as the cable is shorter since the RCA one i bought is 2m long and no longer need this much length since the speaker houses all the connections now instead of the sub.

Soldato
OP
Glad you got everything working!
Thanks mate!
After few days you'll notice the sound a bit warmer.
You can use a longer usb for the G6, no issues, as long as the cable is of decent quality.
Will look into this, the G6 is right next to the psu at the moment so ideally i want it abit further away.

Also switched back to RCA to 3.5mm jack as i realised in optical mode im not using the DAC/AMP in the G6 as it comes out of direct mode. Defeats the point of buying one otherwise.

Associate
Another vantage using the G6 via USB is that, as long you configure your USB ports to stop power supply when the PC is off, will allow to switch it on and off with the PC. Very convenient.

Soldato
OP
Another vantage using the G6 via USB is that, as long you configure your USB ports to stop power supply when the PC is off, will allow to switch it on and off with the PC. Very convenient.
That's one thing i've noticed, it's not powering off when i turn the pc off lol so i think i need to tinker with the bios abit to get that feature working.

Only realised when i came back to my desk this morning to find it lit up still.

Soldato
OP
I never bothered changing it before, to be honest.
But works as if it was an internal card, powering-wise.
Very convenient. :D
I think its disabled by default cos i don't remember ever changing this setting when setting my overclock.

I did find one weird issue, when i powered on the pc the DAC doesn't get recognised and i have to unplug and reconnect the G6 for it to work. Not sure what's going on there as it should detect the device and load drivers when it goes into windows.

Associate
When first plugged or if disconnected and reconnected, the app takes few seconds to recognise the DAC.
But after that, after every boot, the DAC should be ready and fully working.
Mine I'm sure is working because I use a single tone light, and unless is synchronized, the random colour scheme will take over.
Also, not sure if makes any difference, but I'm using a 2.0 USB port.
Some people mentioned issues with PCI-E 4 activated, but mine had it activated before, also Auto and 3.0 fixed (when using a Phanteks GPU bracket) but never had issues.

Soldato
OP
When first plugged or if disconnected and reconnected, the app takes few seconds to recognise the DAC.
But after that, after every boot, the DAC should be ready and fully working.
Mine I'm sure is working because I use a single tone light, and unless is synchronized, the random colour scheme will take over.
Also, not sure if makes any difference, but I'm using a 2.0 USB port.
Some people mentioned issues with PCI-E 4 activated, but mine had it activated before, also Auto and 3.0 fixed (when using a Phanteks GPU bracket) but never had issues.
Just got home and tested it, you're right there mate! Works fine now, gets detected as it should and drivers load properly. No more issues!

Still can't get over how good the whole setup sounds, it's pretty insane!

Associate
It's really impressive how they sound, even without cracking up the volume. The bass is good, but without distortion or mudding everything else.
Very solid speakers.
Movies and games here, S350DB where miles better than previous 5.1 Onkyo HT or Sony soundbar.

Back
Top Bottom