• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Soldato
I'll be getting it on console, like Poneros says a proper HDR display will make a far bigger difference to graphical quality than slightly sharper textures. People on here saying that FC6 looks bland are watching SDR videos on 250-300nit monitors and will more than likely game on them.

PC's are just not good value anymore, you can pick up a quality 800nit OLED or 2000nit LCD TV which both produce HDR as intended for the price of a decent graphics card and it will **** all over the high resolution texture pack when it comes to visual fidelity. Unless you run your PC through a similarly capable TV you'll be missing out on the graphics as they were intended no matter what textures you use.

It's not possible to show the benefits of HDR to someone watching through a display that doesn't do it either at all or very well, it'd be like trying to demonstrate colour picture to someone through their black and white TV.

Afaik consoles get the HD texture pack also. The biggest problem for playing on console is the same as always: no FOV control. I also use my TV as my display for PC, and sit fairly close, so could never do without such control over settings.

So much for 10gb vram being an issue again eh....... ;) :p :cry: Onto the next title please! :D

Looks like my original expectations were correct, although was expecting amd to have more of a lead when ray tracing not used but alas, still time for that to change with future patches and drivers:

Such a shame ray tracing is being held back so much for amd sponsored games, they should at the very least give us a choice of how intensive we want ray tracing effects to be, for obvious reasons, will never happen though. Hopefully nvidia keep sponsoring more games to push the tech. to it's max.

Hold on, not watched the video, but you saying the HD Textures work fine even on 8GB cards?? If so then LOL :cry:

For a moment Grim had me believing I would need to download more VRAM again :p

Oh and look at that, my 3070 kicking the 2080Ti's butt with it's 8GB VRAM :D

HUB does crap testing again, to no one's surprise.

Optional HD textures require more memory
Far Cry 6 offers optionally downloadable, higher-resolution textures, which are simply called "HD textures" in the game. If you switch to or from HD textures, you have to restart the game. For the Far Cry range, HD textures are not uncommon. The effects that HD textures have in Far Cry 6, on the other hand, are already there.

Far Cry 6 doesn't need a lot of VRAM without HD textures. 8 GB is enough for everything - up to Ultra HD including ray tracing. In FHD and WQHD it looks like the HD textures won't change anything. This assessment is quickly refuted in Ultra HD and with ray tracing.

In UHD, 12 GB of VRAM are mandatory
Ultra HD with HD textures is simply not playable with only 8 GB of VRAM. Far Cry 6 then ends in a single jerk orgy. And not only that: even 10 GB is not enough. After the first load everything runs smoothly, but after a while or even just opening the map for a short time, everything is over. Far Cry 6 doesn't just run slower or stall every now and then, but there are single-digit frame rates - constant. With 12 GB of memory, however, there are no longer any problems, which even applies to ray tracing with UHD.

The editors cannot guarantee that this will not change after a while, but Far Cry 6 deletes clearly visible data from the VRAM every now and then when it is no longer needed. 12 GB did not show any problems in the test, and most likely they will not even after a long period of play.

https://www.computerbase.de/2021-10...optionale_hdtexturen_benoetigen_mehr_speicher

What Ubisoft themselves say about the issue:

dasdasdasdasdsadsa.jpg

We can also confirm that both the RTX2080Ti and the RTX3080 display low-resolution textures on some surfaces with the HD Texture Pack at 4K/Ultra/Ray Tracing. Below you can find a comparison between the HD Texture Pack (left) and the vanilla textures (right). As you can see, there are numerous low-res textures in the left screenshot. These low-res issues are completely resolved when running the game at 1440p on these two GPUs.

https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/far-cry-6-pc-performance-analysis/

Caporegime
Afaik consoles get the HD texture pack also. The biggest problem for playing on console is the same as always: no FOV control. I also use my TV as my display for PC, and sit fairly close, so could never do without such control over settings.

HUB does crap testing again, to no one's surprise.

https://www.computerbase.de/2021-10...optionale_hdtexturen_benoetigen_mehr_speicher

What Ubisoft themselves say about the issue:

dasdasdasdasdsadsa.jpg

https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/far-cry-6-pc-performance-analysis/
You should have waited a bit longer before posting this. :p

@ltron - Are you getting the game? Perhaps you could try it out and see how it goes at max settings 4K.

HUB also didn't have Smart Access Memory enabled. I still can't fathom why they disable it and turn off some free performance for AMD cards.

Can't wait to have a play on this tomorrow morning, with everything cranked up and HDR on. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Define "crap testing"? Weren't people hailing HUB as the next coming because they were/are essentially pro amd? Or are they no longer trust worthy because it doesn't fit certain narrative anymore? So first digital foundry, now hub, who is next? Gamers nexus?

Here is some more benchmark comparisons and people can make of that what they will:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/far-cry-6-benchmarks

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_6_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,9.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/far-cry-6-benchmark-test-performance/7.html

All a bit pointless though as essentially the game has issues, which need to be addressed, heck ubi have even said this themselves.

But alas as we can see from various sources now, the requirement of needing "16GB VRAM" was over exaggerated once again.

Also, from looking at footage, I would say there is a problem with textures on all hardware i.e. 6800xt footage here, some textures just look plain awful here, like they haven't rendered properly:

I'll get the game when it's a bit cheaper and the issues are ironed out as I do enjoy FC games on the whole for some FPS fun.

Permabanned
how can ps5 / xbox get that special ultra texture sauce? how many gbs they can truly allocate for vram operations in there? i read tons of discussions and people were confident that it would be around 10 gb and so. but ubi says 16 gb vram required for hd texture and performance drops below that? whats going on?

Soldato
Define "crap testing"? Weren't people hailing HUB as the next coming because they were/are essentially pro amd? Or are they no longer trust worthy because it doesn't fit certain narrative anymore? So first digital foundry, now hub, who is next? Gamers nexus?
I don't know who you're talking about, but I've graded HUB poorly for many years, and for plenty of reasons which I don't want to re-hash. Same for DF. Gamers Nexus is generally okay but has his own issues from time to time. He is the most receptive to feedback & change though, so props to him for that.

In this particular case the memory issue can manifest in two ways: either performance tanks/stutters (ala Computerbase's findings), or there are more lower-quality textures in use when the card doesn't have enough vram (ala DSOgaming's findings). If performance seems fine then you have to check for the 2nd issue. Where has HUB said that he did that? Answer: nowhere, and he used a crap desolate scene to test with.

Associate
I don't know who you're talking about, but I've graded HUB poorly for many years, and for plenty of reasons which I don't want to re-hash. Same for DF. Gamers Nexus is generally okay but has his own issues from time to time. He is the most receptive to feedback & change though, so props to him for that.

In this particular case the memory issue can manifest in two ways: either performance tanks/stutters (ala Computerbase's findings), or there are more lower-quality textures in use when the card doesn't have enough vram (ala DSOgaming's findings). If performance seems fine then you have to check for the 2nd issue. Where has HUB said that he did that? Answer: nowhere, and he used a crap desolate scene to test with.

But according to their testing vram usage on 6800XT was 9.3GB at 4K Ultra quality HD textures and DXR.

Soldato
OP
So much for 10gb vram being an issue again eh....... ;) :p :cry: Onto the next title please! :D

Looks like my original expectations were correct, although was expecting amd to have more of a lead when ray tracing not used but alas, still time for that to change with future patches and drivers:

rkf7rNT.png

YqpROqL.png

Such a shame ray tracing is being held back so much for amd sponsored games, they should at the very least give us a choice of how intensive we want ray tracing effects to be, for obvious reasons, will never happen though. Hopefully nvidia keep sponsoring more games to push the tech. to it's max.

It's quite interesting that the gap between the 6900xt and rtx3090 remains the same at 1080p and 4k - which is unexpected given we would expect to see the 6900xt become faster at lower resolutions due to less driver overhead but the game is so CPU bottlenecked that even the 6900xt and it's drivers are no match for the CPU bottlenecks

Caporegime
If that is the case regarding the lower quality textures, why are they still happening with 16gb cards ?

Exactly this.

Watch the above and elsewhere and you can see texture/rendering problems even with 16gb cards, although it looks like it could also be some issues with RT reflections and SSR etc. too as any water/puddle areas look even worse. Heck might even be TAA "contributing" to this issue too as it looks like a poor implementation in this (and with fsr enabled, the artefacts TAA causes are enhanced further with FSR enabled)

Encoder/rendering is not going to affect just one area of the video capture.... it would affect the whole image.

Caporegime
@Poneros

More reports.
Depending on the graphics card, the two raytracing upgrades lead to fps drops between 26 (Geforce RTX 3080) and 32 percent (Radeon RX 6700 XT). You decide on the basis of the comparison images on the previous article page whether it is worth it. However, users of a Geforce RTX 3080 or graphics card with even less memory should be careful - at the latest in Ultra HD, the Nvidia graphics card collapses under the data load. On the other hand, either the deactivation of the HD textures or a lower resolution helps - the keyword for FSR.

U29fI4i.png

I was sort of joking when i said 3080 users should upgrade to a 3060, but honestly if this is your only game and you play at 4K Max Settings, perhaps it's not such bad advice after all. :p

I can only begin to imagine, with a slight chuckle, some of the reactions to this from a certain few, but alas I will never see them. :p

Soldato
You are referring to recording quality drops from using the encoder. I can show it happening in other games.

@Poneros

Seems like it's being picked up elsewhere too.
L8NoAAS.jpg
I was actually just reading the PCGH review. Interesting note about possible VRS...

Another interesting effect caught our eye. You may have already noticed the slightly blurred edges on some of our shots. There is a narrow strip where the content is a bit indistinct, and there is also a slight chroma shift. In our first impression video, we criticized the fact that this kind of "blur vingette" cannot be deactivated. After a further, somewhat more precise study, we are no longer so sure whether it is just a vignette, i.e. an artistic effect Because the picture is not only blurred, but at the edge of the picture, where the effect is active, the resolution is also reduced. This sounds a bit like VRS or Variable Rate Shading, a DX12 feature, which Far Cry 6 also uses according to official information on the consoles. Could it be that VRS is also active on the PC and cannot be deactivated - and that the chroma deviation serves to hide the visible pixellation through the lower resolution at the edge of the image? VRS can certainly be helpful, especially when combined with ray tracing. It would be nice to have a choice on the PC, though.

In many scenes the optical incision is rather subtle, for example in the chaotic green of the jungle. With some filigree objects, including power lines or antennas and especially in urban areas, where many straight edges and objects reveal the pixellation at the edge of the image. Pay attention to these pictures and especially the fine structures at the top of the screenshots.

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Far-...uzr_smQbwEk-1633527153-0-gqNtZGzNAxCjcnBszQ1l

Soldato
2 things for this game:
1. Turn off /limit ray tracing, it's entirely optional, or just enable dlss/FSR to reduce GPU load
2. Alder Lake and AMD's 2022 CPUs will have higher clocks per watt, and more cache, so more performance per core.

Back
Top Bottom