• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Soldato
From DSO

tested with RTX3080 you can get 60fps at native 4k (FSR off, HD texture pack off) with everything on Ultra including Ray Tracing.

however the framerate hardly goes up at 1440p and 1080p. Inn-testing they found anything under 4k resolution results in severe CPU bottlenecks and the game, despite using DX12, is bottlenecked to a single CPU core.

Soldato
OP
I guess the Dunia engine is seriously starting to show its age!
It is interesting to see from the link above that a reviewer is reporting noticeable CPU performance issues, like he can barely maintain 60 FPS at 1440p on medium settings using an older I7-3930K CPU (6C/12T) with the RTX 3070.

the game relies heavily on single threaded performance so on those older CPUs that have low IPC the game is brutal

Soldato
OP
Hopefully that hd texture pack does a lot for the graphics....... looked very meh and very "flat" imo, probably cause lack of ray tracing effects for AO, shadows etc.

At least performance looks good though compared to the specs they were recommending.

the flatness isn't something that a texture pack could fix, what's missing is better lighting (ray traced GI and Ray traced AO)

Soldato
OP
Has anyone gotten their AMD cd key for Far Cry 6? The AMD rewards website still says its not available despite the game out in less than 48 hours

Soldato
OP
^^
That goes both ways

when they make the game they choose sdr or hdr as the baseline and color grade the entire game for that. Then the other option is just straight tone mapped which makes it look bad

So a game that was color graded in sdr will look bad in hdr and a game graded in hdr will look bad in sdr

In saying that, sdr color grading is more forgiving - a game graded in sdr but played by the user in hdr will look a bit dark and over saturated but not too bad. A game graded in hdr but played in sdr will look very bad, completely washed out.

the complicating factor in all of this is nowhere where I've looked on any store do they advertise in what color bit rate and dynamic range a game was graded for.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Its 32gb. But it doesnt include the HD texture pack.

I just found the texture pack, its listed as DLC. The HD texture pack is an additional 40gb lol

Base game: 32gb
Base game + HD texture pack: 72gb

Soldato
OP
They have gigabit lines down there? Surprised, I remember when I was there back in 99 and went to buy some game magazines and they were all issues 2-3 months old :cry:

We have up to 8gig connections (I can choose 1gig, 2gig, 4gig or 8gig). Bit pricey though, translates to 120 pounds per month for 8gig up and down with unlimited data (1gig unlimited data is 40 pounds a month)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So much for 10gb vram being an issue again eh....... ;) :p :cry: Onto the next title please! :D

Looks like my original expectations were correct, although was expecting amd to have more of a lead when ray tracing not used but alas, still time for that to change with future patches and drivers:

rkf7rNT.png

YqpROqL.png

Such a shame ray tracing is being held back so much for amd sponsored games, they should at the very least give us a choice of how intensive we want ray tracing effects to be, for obvious reasons, will never happen though. Hopefully nvidia keep sponsoring more games to push the tech. to it's max.

It's quite interesting that the gap between the 6900xt and rtx3090 remains the same at 1080p and 4k - which is unexpected given we would expect to see the 6900xt become faster at lower resolutions due to less driver overhead but the game is so CPU bottlenecked that even the 6900xt and it's drivers are no match for the CPU bottlenecks

Soldato
OP
@Poneros

More reports.

U29fI4i.png

I was sort of joking when i said 3080 users should upgrade to a 3060, but honestly if this is your only game and you play at 4K Max Settings, perhaps it's not such bad advice after all. :p

I can only begin to imagine, with a slight chuckle, some of the reactions to this from a certain few, but alas I will never see them. :p

I guess 10gb vram really isn't enough. Poor RTX3080 owners, if only they listened and bought a 2080ti instead - 40fps a lot better than 6fps :).

Its ok, 3080 owners can still play the game - they just have to disable HD textures and turn off Ray Tracing, good thing the 3080 isn't a high end or expensive GPU ;) or it would be embarrassing to have to disable feature in a modern game on an expensive high end GPU.

Soldato
OP
We may just cancel pc gaming now at this stage, far cry 6 and AMD have ruined it all.

Not even an RTX branded goat simulator could make up for all these inferior console budget legacy games.

Nvidia needs to make a new RTX Quake to redeem of gaming

Soldato
OP
It's the same few with every AMD Sponsored title/thread, that's why I have some people on ignore because the whole discussion gets side tracked with nonsense due to fanboyism.

I don't really understand what the big deal is. There's a few games where the 3080 has to turn down a few settings here and there or performance suffers due to lack of video memory.

Even 6900 XT and 3090 users have to turn settings down occasionally, just for different reasons. Life goes on and it's not the end of the world.

Anyway, here's the 6900 XT running at 4K true maximum settings, averaging 75 FPS and minimum of 60. It seems most videos on YouTube are not truly running max settings with FidelityFXCas On.

It runs very well indeed and there are no FPS drops down to single digits or texture issues that have been documented elsewhere on GPUs with less than 12GB of memory at 4K maximum settings.

Here is 1440P.

There's actually not many decent comparison videos out on YouTube yet, most people are turning certain settings off (Texture pack, Ray Tracing and or FidelityFXCas) but here is jokers 3080 TI running at what appears to be 4K maximum settings.

I will put up some actual gameplay next which should be a bit more demanding than the short benchmark sequence built in.

From what I've seen so far FSR on Ultra Quality looks better than just native 4k - it's probably just because of the sharpening pass making it look nicer than TAA but either way it looks nicer to me so I'll be playing at 4k + FSR UQ + Ultra settings + RT on + HD texture pack

Soldato
OP
Did a couple quick tests

4K everything maxed including hd textures and raytracing on = 72fps average in benchmark. With FSR UQ = 90fps. VRAM usage sits at 13.7gb

The game looks better with FSR on, the TAA with it off is very blurry.

however it doesn't seem to matter what setting I use, the game has lots of aliasing issues - in the benchmark it's flickering and shimmering on most edges.

I can get rid of almost all aliasing by changing the resolution to 8k but then I only get 35fps and VRAM usage sits at 21.9gb - hopefully next gen cards will be able to do 8k 60fps in AAA games so we can remove the need for TAA by running native with no aliasing

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes, yes you can haha. :D

Jokes aside though, it's better to have too much and not need it, than have too little and get single digit fps. But I think everyone can agree that 24GB is overkill for games.

based on my 8k benchmarks 24gb is definitely needed there, it's unfortunate that no gpu has the grunt though to drive it at 60fps - hopefully next years new models will do that!

Back
Top Bottom