CPU Overheat problem

Associate
Hey there fine folks!

Really hoping someone more knowledgable than myself is able to help me out here.

Afew months ago my pc just switched off suddenly. After the inital sigh of "oh boy, here we go..." I began investigating and found that the CPU was massively overheating at over 100C. I did all the usual steps of checking for programs that could be causing it, reseating the chip and applying fresh thermal paste, clearing all the fans etc.

Eventually RMA'd it and got a replacement, same issue. It immediately began to heat up and was at high temps before the BIOS had even loaded. Went back to the place I bought it from and they asked me to send in the MOBO, PSU, and CPU for testing. fast forward 3 months of nothing but being messed about and I bought a new MOBO. same issue. replaced the PSU today and still the same issue.

I am at a complete loss as to what the problem could be, if anyone could enlighten me and provide me with some guidance I would be in your debt!

Full pc specs below!

Motherboard: Originally an MSI B360 Gaming Plus. Now a MSI z390-a Pro
CPU: Intel I5 9600k
PSU: Originally a Corsair 550W CV Now a Corsair 650W CV
Ram: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR-4 2133 8GB
GPU: Palit GTX 1660 StormX 6GB
Cooler: Arctic Freezer 11LP

Only things plugged in to the PC are the monitor and the Keyboard and Mouse.

Please, oh lords of nerd-dom, help a fellow nerd out!

Associate
OP
The cpu is stock, I don't overclock, never really seen the point of it to be honest (is that allowed to be said here? :p )
The fan worked perfectly for cooling for the almost year before the cpu decided to start having issues.

Yeah there is plenty of airflow in the case.

Soldato
It'll be getting whatever voltage your motherboard has decided is high enough for cpus of this type to be stable. This is usually higher than the voltage required for your individual cpu. More voltage = more heat. You can start messing about with voltage, but ultimately you'll still need a better cooler.

For future reference, if you aren't overclocking it's the non-K cpu you want, so in this example it would be the Intel i5 9600 instead of Intel i5 9600K.

Soldato
The cpu is stock, I don't overclock, never really seen the point of it to be honest (is that allowed to be said here? :p )
The fan worked perfectly for cooling for the almost year before the cpu decided to start having issues.

Yeah there is plenty of airflow in the case.

Board could also be appling way to much voltage at stock. I'd reset the cmos and let us know what the Core voltage is as read in the bios.

How much paste are you applying? is it spreading out fine and the cooler itself making good contact with even pressure? What are the temps you are seeing now?

I'd be looking at a new cooler. Even something like a pure rock 2 is only like £35-40 vs the replacement and RMA of all the components you have changed so far.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-quiet-pure-rock-2-black-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-01k-bq.html

Associate
OP
Board could also be appling way to much voltage at stock. I'd reset the cmos and let us know what the Core voltage is as read in the bios.

How much paste are you applying? is it spreading out fine and the cooler itself making good contact with even pressure? What are the temps you are seeing now?

I'll have a look at the manual and give resetting the CMOS a go tomorrow. So far I haven't been able to reach the bios yet so I don't have any definite figures :(

Just enough the cover the area, spreading it with a spreader and making sure the pressure is even. I have tried reseating the cooler a few times to make sure this sint the problem, the last time I did it I was hyper careful so I am 99% sure that this isn't the problem. The temptation to just try it again because "computers" is strong though!

Soldato
I'll have a look at the manual and give resetting the CMOS a go tomorrow. So far I haven't been able to reach the bios yet so I don't have any definite figures :(

Just enough the cover the area, spreading it with a spreader and making sure the pressure is even. I have tried reseating the cooler a few times to make sure this sint the problem, the last time I did it I was hyper careful so I am 99% sure that this isn't the problem. The temptation to just try it again because "computers" is strong though!

Remove small penny/cell 2032 battery on the board for a few minutes and then refit is easiest way.

Being a 9600k, board could be auto-overclocking from stock. So i'd also double check everything is correct as if it is auto OCing chances are that cooler won't handle it very well.

Soldato
Eventually RMA'd it and got a replacement, same issue. It immediately began to heat up and was at high temps before the BIOS had even loaded.
Is cooler making any real contact with CPU instead of just sitting on top of paste?
That Intel push pin mounting is pretty much total turd when it comes to how secure and firm mounting is.

Anyway such small low profile cooler has never been good for Intel's real heat output capacity.

Associate
OP
Remove small penny/cell 2032 battery on the board for a few minutes and then refit is easiest way.

Being a 9600k, board could be auto-overclocking from stock. So i'd also double check everything is correct as if it is auto OCing chances are that cooler won't handle it very well.

Hardware is so not my thing,I didnt even know auto overclocking was a thing! I'll give it a shot tomorrow and report back, i'll also find a beefier cooler just in case!

Thanks a lot for the help!

Associate
OP
Is cooler making any real contact with CPU instead of just sitting on top of paste?
That Intel push pin mounting is pretty much total turd when it comes to how secure and firm mounting is.

Anyway such small low profile cooler has never been good for Intel's real heat output capacity.

Yeah it was a pain in the ass to get it to sit nicely, I am looking up a better cooler tonight and resetting the cmos tomorrow so fingers crossed! Thanks for the help :D

Soldato
Yeah it was a pain in the ass to get it to sit nicely, I am looking up a better cooler tonight and resetting the cmos tomorrow so fingers crossed! Thanks for the help :D
Jonsbo CR1000 would be the cheapest one I would consider good.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/jonsbo-cr-1000-120mm-rgb-cpu-cooler-black-hs-000-jb.html
Though if case is narrower than usual, little lower height model like Alpenfohn Brocken Eco Advanced could be needed.

Unless BIOS is applying some killer volts, that overheating in seconds smells lot like cooler not making contact at all.

Associate
OP
Hey fine folks!

Update!

I replaced everything!

I have got an Arctic freezer 34, an I7-9700k, a CV650 power supply and a z390A pro motherboard.

Everything seems to boot up fine, initially had RAM error lights showing up which went away after the new CPU got installed. No more overheating on boot up but now I have no output to my monitor!

I have reinstalled everything, tried all the RAM configurations, with both sticks and then tried process of elimination moving each ram stick into each slot one at a time. Removed my GPU, reinstalled the gpu. I have reset the CMOS and still coming up with nothing.

There are no errors being reported on the motherboard itself, I just can't seem to get a display.

I am using a hdmi cable and a monitor that I know both work as I use them with my other pc often.

Is there anything I am missing?

Associate
glad you got the first issue fixed however the display issue maybe due to you bios setting the igpu (one built into the cpu) as primary gpu. as your mobo doesn't have hdmi you would need either display port cable if your monitor has display port or by dvi, again if your monitor has this port and plug in from monitor into mobo (not gpu) and press the delete key at power on to get into bios. once there find a setting that has something about selecting a primary gpu and select pci-e as this is your gtx 1660. you should be good to go :)

Back
Top Bottom