petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I tried it, within 500yrds it was knocking harder than a bobby & felt like it was dropping a cylinder on idle, despite being listed as compatible. Luckily I only stuck a tenner in to check. Drained it out and filled with E5 and almost instantly back to normal

You do have to go easier on the throttle and avoid lugging it in high gears.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

And exactly how is that going to stop knocking/misfiring?

Knocking usually occurs when lugging a high gear at large throttle loads (i.e. accelerating in 5th from 1300rpm with a wide open throttle).

In all my years of engine tuning, I've never experienced an engine knock if the revs are reasonable with light throttle loads (well, not if it's been tuned properly), even on very high compression engines (mine is 12.5:1 for example and tuned to run on 99ron - it still wont knock with 95ron as long as I don't lug it). The engine in your 3000GT is turbo iirc? So, low compression (around 8:1?), so even less likely to knock when not on boost.

Also, it's weird that you say you get misfiring on 95ron but not 99ron - 99ron is actually HARDER to ignite - you either get knock or misfiring - not both. What you might be experiencing is pre-ignition leading to knock, but not misfiring. But again, as long as you don't lug the engine, you shouldn't experience knocking - knocking is very easy to drive around on a properly tuned or stock engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Knocking usually occurs when lugging a high gear at large throttle loads (i.e. accelerating in 5th from 1300rpm with a wide open throttle).

In all my years of engine tuning, I've never experienced an engine knock if the revs are reasonable with light throttle loads (well, not if it's been tuned properly), even on very high compression engines (mine is 12.5:1 for example and tuned to run on 99ron - it still wont knock with 95ron as long as I don't lug it). The engine in your 3000GT is turbo iirc? So, low compression (around 8:1?), so even less likely to knock when not on boost.

Also, it's weird that you say you get misfiring on 95ron but not 99ron - 99ron is actually HARDER to ignite - you either get knock or misfiring - not both. What you might be experiencing is pre-ignition leading to knock, but not misfiring. But again, as long as you don't lug the engine, you shouldn't experience knocking - knocking is very easy to drive around on a properly tuned or stock engine.

E5 95ron it ran absolutely fine. The idle issues and the pre-ignition/knocking only began when I tried to use E10. I removed the E10 and filled with E5 97/99 (Initially Momentum99 but I've had to use Texaco Supreme97 due to no momentum) and the issues have gone.

It's a lightly modified Mk1 Focus ST170 (N/A)

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

E5 95ron it ran absolutely fine. The idle issues and the pre-ignition/knocking only began when I tried to use E10. I removed the E10 and filled with E5 97/99 (Initially Momentum99 but I've had to use Texaco Supreme97 due to no momentum) and the issues have gone.

It's a lightly modified Mk1 Focus ST170 (N/A)

There is no way you'd notice the difference between E5 and E10 on a weedy engine like that. It was either placebo or just a bad tank of fuel.

Soldato
Still had massive problems in London no E5 99 RON anywhere it seems not even be delivered right now! its all this E10 filth they want to force us to use :mad:

Then went to Cobham M25 services they had none either & say deliveries are drying up of all fuel types right now :eek: this is the busiest services in the UK if they are not even getting any who exactly is in the south east?

Soldato
Still had massive problems in London no E5 99 RON anywhere it seems not even be delivered right now! its all this E10 filth they want to force us to use :mad:

Then went to Cobham M25 services they had none either & say deliveries are drying up of all fuel types right now :eek: this is the busiest services in the UK if they are not even getting any who exactly is in the south east?
Yup couldn't find anything yesterday :/ if I run out in the crown I'm parking it up. Not running an old 1jz on 95 e10. Will have to use other halfs nissan cube until this mess blows over.

Soldato
Yup couldn't find anything yesterday :/ if I run out in the crown I'm parking it up. Not running an old 1jz on 95 e10. Will have to use other halfs nissan cube until this mess blows over.
It seems a by design plan to try to force E10 by limiting E5 its so obvious they are trying this see how they get on :rolleyes: for sure I am never ever voting for these morons again we need a party who champion motorists not ones which try to make them extinct & remove what little pleasure that can be had by driving your car ;)

I mean the big clue here is E5 is way more expensive so that being the case you would think it would be a priority not the direct opposite :( for this E10 filth :mad:

Caporegime

All to keep those subsidised Corn famers in a job producing ...

OK, can we please stop pretending biofuel made from corn is helping the planet and the environment? The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change released two of its Working Group reports at the end of last month (WGI and WGIII), and their short discussion of biofuels has ignited a fierce debate as to whether they’re of any environmental benefit at all.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesc...al-corn-ethanol-is-of-no-use/?sh=46bd64867d35

Soldato
Why were they emptying their tanks to "get ready for E10"? E5 simply means the fuel may have up to 5% ethanol content. And the newer fuel, E10, may have up to 10% ethanol content. Correct?

So if you have a tank half filled with E5, and then you fill the remainder with E10...what does it matter? Proportionally, all the fuel in that tank will still be less than 10% ethanol. And since September the 1st (or earlier), all the pumps dispensing from that tank will be marked "E10", so there will be no one pumping from it and only expecting E5.

So why would they feel the need to empty the tank of one before filling with the other, rather than just continuing as they were? Anyone able to provide a chemical or logistical reason?

Soldato
All to keep those subsidised Corn famers in a job producing ...

OK, can we please stop pretending biofuel made from corn is helping the planet and the environment? The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change released two of its Working Group reports at the end of last month (WGI and WGIII), and their short discussion of biofuels has ignited a fierce debate as to whether they’re of any environmental benefit at all.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesc...al-corn-ethanol-is-of-no-use/?sh=46bd64867d35
Its so dishonest they cause misery for millions of ordinary people :mad: its not even planet friendly where does all the fuel & energy come from to even create the corn to begin with!! :rolleyes:

Soldato
Why were they emptying their tanks to "get ready for E10"? E5 simply means the fuel may have up to 5% ethanol content. And the newer fuel, E10, may have up to 10% ethanol content. Correct?

So if you have a tank half filled with E5, and then you fill the remainder with E10...what does it matter? Proportionally, all the fuel in that tank will still be less than 10% ethanol. And since September the 1st (or earlier), all the pumps dispensing from that tank will be marked "E10", so there will be no one pumping from it and only expecting E5.

So why would they feel the need to empty the tank of one before filling with the other, rather than just continuing as they were? Anyone able to provide a chemical or logistical reason?
Clearly it caught them all out :( they were probably told to quietly drop E5 altogether :rolleyes: is the only logical answer I can think of but it makes little sense as E5 generates more tax for HMRC as its the highest price of the lot. This whole situation is a disaster however you look at it. Easiest way out is go back to E5 ONLY for the forseeable future any planetary benefit from E10 is wiped out by all the extra journeys people have to make to find any E5!!!!!!

Some of the local independent stations to me in London are close to going under as E5 was their main forecourt product and they cannot get any for weeks now so running on fumes. Clearly something in the background is causing this if we are to believe there are no actual fuel shortages...........:rolleyes:

Caporegime
Clearly it caught them all out :( they were probably told to quietly drop E5 altogether :rolleyes: is the only logical answer I can think of but it makes little sense as E5 generates more tax for HMRC as its the highest price of the lot. This whole situation is a disaster however you look at it. Easiest way out is go back to E5 ONLY for the forseeable future any planetary benefit from E10 is wiped out by all the extra journeys people have to make to find any E5!!!!!!

Some of the local independent stations to me in London are close to going under as E5 was their main forecourt product and they cannot get any for weeks now so running on fumes. Clearly something in the background is causing this if we are to believe there are no actual fuel shortages...........:rolleyes:
There are some that say/believe the change to E10 is the main factor due to slightly lower economy running it.

Soldato
Nearly correct, E10 must also be at least 5.5%.

Seems a bit of a limp conspiracy to me though, not had any issues getting E5 97/99.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

we need a party who champion motorists not ones which try to make them extinct

There is no party for this, so I think you're onto a loser there. ICE and non autonomous cars are in thier death throes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Which part of the country? Seems like most of South is out and has been for over a week now. I keep driving by in the hope to seesome lol.
Southampton
Filled up at Costco, Sainsburys and Tesco so far since all the panic and not failed to stumble on 97/99 yet.

Just not buying there is some sort of conspiracy to deliberately not restock E5 to force us onto E10.

They'd have people claiming it was a money gouging conspiracy if they were delivering the more expensive E5 grades in preference to the E10 and you could only buy 97/99.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom