Fireworks have started

Caporegime
Heard the first few home style ones up here in Stoke last night, followed a few minutes later by what I'm guessing was a single "industrial" type one which was just a bright white flash with a single extremely loud boom (far louder than "home" fireworks).

I’m up in Silverdale, unfortunately the work dodgers around here have been setting them off for weeks already, infuriates me, my two German Shepherds come bolting in through their rather large dog flap extremely stressed and visibly scared which is ironic as nothing much otherwise scares them.

I’m all for organised public firework displays (such as the one at Alton Towers which is superb and done with cooperation with the local residents) but, the sooner they are banned for Joe public to buy over the counter, the better.

Man of Honour
About time these things are banned, they are completely unnecessary. The Scottish government have consulted on it and are planning on tightening things up but can’t see it happening. It’s stupid you can buy these things in Lidl.

And, the football fans now set them off during the day when their team wins?!

There have been murmuring and threats of firework bans regularly for about the past 70 years, never comes to anything, perhaps the manufacturers employ good lobbyists.
It wouldn’t matter if they were banned, it would be just one more thing for the Keystone Kops to ignore, like cretins blocking M-Ways and roundabouts, cyclists running red lights, minicabs illegally importuning fares, etc., it seems that the cops have carte-blanche to enforce or ignore laws as they wish.
[/QUOTE]

Don't know about anyone else but my part of London has had people letting off fireworks every night for the last week or so , seemingly no shortage of importing them.

In Rotherhithe, its been once or twice per week for maybe the past three weeks.

They were been set off last night up Norfh Durham way.

“Being set off”.

Soldato
There have been murmuring and threats of firework bans regularly for about the past 70 years, never comes to anything, perhaps the manufacturers employ good lobbyists.
It wouldn’t matter if they were banned, it would be just one more thing for the Keystone Kops to ignore, like cretins blocking M-Ways and roundabouts, cyclists running red lights, minicabs illegally importuning fares, etc., it seems that the cops have carte-blanche to enforce or ignore laws as they wish.

In Rotherhithe, its been once or twice per week for maybe the past three weeks.

“Being set off”.[/QUOTE]

A ban would stop shops selling them. Sure, there’d still be some illegal sales but it would be severely reduced. When they are made illegal, I don’t think the answer is to police those setting them off but enforce the banning of the sale of them in the first place.

Soldato
Fireworks should only be sold for those doing organised displays and need a license. As people get hold of them and set them off at all hours. Then throw them at people, homes and cars. My dad’s company car had one thrown at it when he was at some traffic lights. Caused damage to the roof and aerial. Plus heard some fireworks during the day which is pretty pointless IMO.

Thank goodness my employer stopped selling fireworks. There was so much stuff we had to do - annual training, had fireworks locked up in a box, which is then locked in a cupboard, transport them from the back to the display in the store with another colleague. Then when customers bought them, they had to leave the store IMMEDIATELY. We had to ask some customers to leave as waiting for their OH, mates etc. We didn’t care if it was cold outside. Plus the cost of them are stupidly high. Box of 15-18 mixed fireworks- £30.

Then on a few occasions, we had to ask customers who were carrying fireworks purchased from another shop nearby to
leave.

I feel sorry for pets that get scared.

Back
Top Bottom