What annoys you about your current car?

Soldato
I think we all know there's no such thing as the perfect car (except a BMW 5 series for TWFox!) and we all have to make compromises to get the most suitable.

Since getting my car i've found certain things that annoy me that i hadn't experienced on previous cars.

Mainly around safety features, as the doors auto-lock when you start moving, but the passengers then can't open them unless the driver presses a buttom and unlocks the car. I get not allowing them to be opened from the outside, but i've never known the internal handles to be de-activated also. I'd have thought it was some kind of child lock but i can't find any way to disable it!

The other one is that the electric boot won't open unless the ignition is switched off. So many times i've been dropping someone off and forget resulting in lots of efforts to open the boot, only for me to remember i need to switch the ignition off.

What things annoy you about yours?

Last edited:
Soldato
The turning circle is much worse than you'd expect from a c-segment hatchback.

One of the door seals that was replaced by the dealer when I bought it is already starting to detach.

Other than that I love it!

Soldato
I've got a new Seat Tarraco, on the keyring i've got the car key and a house key, that's it. However if the house key is on the same side as the buttons when in my pocket, it can open the boot as the boot button sit's proud of the car key rather than recessed.....

Also, the safety features of the car mean that the lane departure is turned on every time you start the car and if you want it off then you need to turn it off every time you start the car, to turn it off by default you need to reprogram it and Seat won't do that so you have to do it yourself.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think we all know there's no such thing as the perfect car (except a BMW 5 series for TWFox!) and we all have to make compromises to get the most suitable.

No car is perfect :D

Common to every 5 Series I've ever driven, the temperature sensor for the climate control is behind the cupholder. So, hot drink in cupholder, cold air out of vent. Also, you can't use the coasting function unless you're in Eco Pro mode, but Eco Pro mode makes the throttle response awful. Fixed on newer models, but annoying all the same. The plastic used on the steering wheel is from the same production line as that used to make apple pie trays, so it feels cheap and flimsy. By contrast the one in the Mini feels like it's come off a car costing twice as much. Perhaps they got them the wrong way round...

Soldato
The unlock button on the fob only opens the driver's door on a single press. It needs to be double-pressed to unlock all the doors, and it doesn't detect it as a double press if you do it too quickly, meaning I just end up clicking it 5-6 times to make sure it triggers. Except sometimes it decides to interpret that as a single long press and starts rolling down all of the windows :rolleyes:

Supposedly it can be reprogrammed to unlock all doors, but I've tried doing that, and even though all of the settings are correct, it hasn't made a difference :(

Soldato
M135 and if it's not in sport mode the gearbox seems slightly sluggish, also hate the start stop as it seems to pick the most inconvenient times to do it (switching to reverse to back onto the drive is one of them times) and I keep forgetting to turn it off.

Soldato
Pretty happy with mine, but dont do a massive amount of miles a year. The MPG i hate the most as its 22mpg on a good day, but i knew this before i brought i it :p

Caporegime
Too much automation.

I want to see my oil, give me a dip stick.

I want to turn a key, give me an ignition.

Indicators are very simple things, stop overthinking them.

The rain sensors aren't sensitive enough so I often have to put the wipers on manually in very light drizzle.

Pretty happy with mine, but dont do a massive amount of miles a year. The MPG i hate the most as its 22mpg on a good day, but i knew this before i brought i it :p

Where did you bruy it from?

Soldato
It feels the need to remind you that after turning off the car, if you get out and lock it, it'll engage the deadlock (including the interior) with the message Check SAFELOCK! Owner's Manual! Every. Single. Time.

If you want to see the trip summary, you have to wait for the message to disappear.

Man of Honour
Likewise not a fan of the fob locking the vehicle from the outside means it can't be unlocked from the inside - sure a great security measure but potential for someone to get locked in.

Think my main complaint though is the increasing cheap use of materials with rubber which doesn't last half as long as it did a few years back, rust protection which doesn't last, etc.

Too much automation

I think the balance is correct with my current vehicles but not a fan of the way it is going either - along a similar line it annoys me many newer vehicles implement features you want to adjust on the fly as touch buttons or buried in a menu like the designers never actually drive a car.

Soldato
Many things with my Leon so I'll pick a petty one... there is a bit of pointless chrome trim on the bottom of the steering wheel so I spend an unacceptable amount of time driving along being blinded by my own car when the sun is low!

Man of Honour
I want to turn a key, give me an ignition.

It's difficult to think of a single benefit of putting a key in the ignition and turning it over pressing 'Start'.

The rain sensors aren't sensitive enough so I often have to put the wipers on manually in very light drizzle.

They are broken and/or rubbish then. I've had rain sensing wipers on every car I've owned that was manufactured in the last 20 years and never once have I had to manually intervene because they hadn't noticed it was raining..

Don
Door seals detaching every now and then :)

A couple of very minor rusts spots in very odd places (where number plate light molding meets boot, and arch lips in front of rear wheels)

Radio turning off and can't be turned back on when parked for short duration of time without ignition on.

Caporegime
It's difficult to think of a single benefit of putting a key in the ignition and turning it over pressing 'Start'.

They are broken and/or rubbish then. I've had rain sensing wipers on every car I've owned that was manufactured in the last 20 years and never once have I had to manually intervene because they hadn't noticed it was raining..

Maybe your standards are just too low then :D

It's a 2018 Cooper, so probably has the same sensors as you.

I do admit that I'm very much biased against all this because old man yells at cloud, so it's very possible I'm just being unreasonably difficult.

Man of Honour

Not sure there are benefits to it other than in some vehicles it is/was possible to leave the fob behind but personally I prefer a good old key ignition.

Back
Top Bottom