Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters
Caporegime
I think you're probably being intentionally dense, but I'll go along. I'm not saying that rendering is a bad test, it's just the main one they focus on - and frankly for a huge amount of people it's irrelevant. Most people don't work off a Macbook Pro and render 8K RED RAW footage, or PRO RES footage, and then sit or as MKBHD in his latest video 'need to be able to edit 8K on the move' - I've worked with huge companies who do this, they have render farms for this reason. It's not a requirement for the editor to sit and wait whilst their laptop does it. I dare say the YouTubers test their video editing workloads well, but it's a tiny percentile of what people use it for. What about complex compilations, how does it compare compiling huge software libraries in comparison of the previous gen, what about ML/DL advantages in a real world environment in comparison to the graphs Apple provide.

There's hundreds of other scenarios which never get a mention, but if you want to think that YouTubers who exist only to get views, subscriptions and likes do a thorough test of devices and what they're capable of and actually resemble real-world Pro Users then feel free.

What do you want them to test it on? Honest question, what would you like the benchmark be?

Word and Minecraft? Spotify whilst talking to your friends on Discord?

Surely, rendering is probably the hardest test because it max the system out constantly, as oppose to nano second spike of the CPU/GPU.

Anything else, like say....using it in a vitual desktop, or coding, or typing, or zoom. It's just not scratching the surface, and the CPU and GPU load will just go up and down. Allowing the laptop to cool itself and catch up.

Which is not "worst-case" scenario. You just need to take the worst case scenario and extrapolate. If you think your work flow is more intensive than rendering non-stop...then extrapolate that and take 20% off the battery life or something.

The reason they use rendering is because they make videos, so that's their work. If you watch a more music centric channel they will try bench it running Logic with lots of tracks. the M1 can do something like 90...which is insane. Most songs have a dozen.

Last edited:
Soldato
The good ones are big for a reason and its because they do provide solid information on these things.

Not really, they're not big because they put out 'solid information' they're big because they're entertaining, have a good production value and are great at marketing. MKBHD has constantly given wrong information over the years, I think he's improved recently now he has a bigger team probably doing the research.

What do you want them to test it on?

Word and Minecraft?

Surely, rendering is probably the hardest test because it max the system out constantly, as oppose to nano second spike of the CPU/GPU.

Anything else, like say....using it in a vitual desktop, or coding, or typing, or zoom. It's just not scratching the surface, and the CPU and GPU load will just go up and down. Allowing the laptop to cool itself and catch up.

Which is not "worst-case" scenario. You just need to take the worst case scenario and extrapolate. If you think your work flow is more intensive than rendering non-stop...then extrapolate that and take 20% off the battery life or something.

Sadly, you probably believe that. I said nothing about coding, typing, zoom or virtual desktop - but you read that into it anyway. You continue to think that video editing and rendering is the be-all and end-all, I'd be much more interested to read the Cinema4D/Game Engine stats than how much 8K Footage people can edit on these things. But I guess you'll sit there pulling yourself off because YouTubers can edit RED footage that they then upload to a site which compresses it down into garbage quality compared to native anyway.

I'd be much more interesting in what compiling, ML, DL, Science, Gaming Engines and 3D work can be done and the limitations rather than this, but if that's your singular thought and you're so conceited and arrogant to think that this is the best, most intensive workload then sure...

Soldato
Not really, they're not big because they put out 'solid information' they're big because they're entertaining, have a good production value and are great at marketing. MKBHD has constantly given wrong information over the years, I think he's improved recently now he has a bigger team probably doing the research.

Sadly, you probably believe that. I said nothing about coding, typing, zoom or virtual desktop - but you read that into it anyway. You continue to think that video editing and rendering is the be-all and end-all, I'd be much more interested to read the Cinema4D/Game Engine stats than how much 8K Footage people can edit on these things. But I guess you'll sit there pulling yourself off because YouTubers can edit RED footage that they then upload to a site which compresses it down into garbage quality compared to native anyway.

I'd be much more interesting in what compiling, ML, DL, Science, Gaming Engines and 3D work can be done and the limitations rather than this, but if that's your singular thought and you're so conceited and arrogant to think that this is the best, most intensive workload then sure...
Dude, let's be hoenst you have niche interests and the mainstream reviewers don't cater to you.

That's fine but let's not call them trash just because they don't cater to your specific need.

Soldato
Dude, let's be hoenst you have niche interests and the mainstream reviewers don't cater to you.

That's fine but let's not call them trash just because they don't cater to your specific need.

Actually, I was just trying to answer a question about someone else asking if there was any YouTubers which go into details and benchmarks which aren't the usual trash. I like Linus as much as most people, it's the Top Gear of Youtube for Tech. However, people as usual miss the point that they all focus on video editing which isn't the promised land for everyone. Pro users aka professional users use a huge variety of other tools.

Caporegime

You said nothing because you said nothing? I threw out a few examples, if it doesn't hit what your brain is thinking...is because I am not a mind reader.

So these other stuff you are talking about, ML, DL, Science, then search channels that are those first and Mac second which happens to use macs. You are complaining about a channel that is about making about tech videos using their main workflow of what they do that are not compatible to what you do.

It would be like me saying a channel who uses Logic as a benchmark not using real-world scenarios because music is not your field. Or in your Linus analogy, it is like complaining about Top Gear doesn't go into fuel economy of a Ferrari and it's annual car tax or servicing cost. Top Gear clearly is not about that, it's not that kind of show.

You clearly are not these creators' target audience as you don't shoot video, so what they use in their day to day don't go hand in hand of what you do. The "real world scenario" is what they bench, that's their real world scenario. Testing these other things...would be out of their daily workflow and not be real world for them.

p.s. I don't shoot video, these videos rarely use Lightroom or Photoshop as benchmark. When I use a brush in photoshop it spikes the CPU, you can see it in the graph. That's real world use for me, but that is an impossible thing to bench....i don't think their video is lacking because that's not one of the test.

Associate
Impressive machines. 120Hz on a laptop will be great too. I’m not sure why so many people are going crazy about the notch, I don’t think it would bother me.

I look forward to getting one for work

fez

fez

Caporegime
If you think youtubers are all crap then you are just following the wrong ones. Just because the "biggest" ones are not amazing doesn't mean there aren't some good ones that have a large follow and are useful.

Soldato
Question on the notch. First off, I get it, it sits within the menu bar so you're not effectively losing any screen real estate. But what happens when you are using applications/windows in full screen?
For example, I am currently using Safari in full screen - in this scenario the notch will sit right in the middle of the address bar.
Does the 'left over' space either side of the notch just get blacked out?

Associate
It looks great but I am going to wait to see what the reviewers say. Traditionally with apple laptops there has been a trade off with certain models and configs which we learn about further down the line.

I am always cautious with the 1st generation of a new iteration of devices. Also those graphics charts need verifying and actual benchmarks of Pro V Max CPU's. I bet many people will install a Max when they do not need it!

Last edited:
Soldato
Question on the notch. First off, I get it, it sits within the menu bar so you're not effectively losing any screen real estate. But what happens when you are using applications/windows in full screen?
For example, I am currently using Safari in full screen - in this scenario the notch will sit right in the middle of the address bar.
Does the 'left over' space either side of the notch just get blacked out?

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/19/macos-app-compatibility-mode-notch/

Caporegime
It looks great but I am going to wait to see what the reviewers say. Traditionally with apple laptops there has been a trade off with certain models and configs which we learn about further down the line.

I am always cautious with 1st get of a new iteration devices. Also those graphics charts need verifying and actual benchmarks of Pro V Max CPU's. I bet many people will install a Max when they do not need it!

I have a feeling...and only a guess...the 1st gen issues shouldn't really happen here. This is technically M1 Take 2. Any issues in the M1 has been ironed out and this is just adding more stuff on. The hardware now, they are putting back things they have done well and tested previously. So it's not 1st gen, things like the keys, even the screen, that's used on other products.

But I agree that, most people don't need the Max, it would be overkill.

Associate
Well the main argument there is graphics power, I doubt we will see much different on the CPU cores between Pro and Max with single/multi core performance.

Associate
I have a feeling...and only a guess...the 1st gen issues shouldn't really happen here. This is technically M1 Take 2. Any issues in the M1 has been ironed out and this is just adding more stuff on. The hardware now, they are putting back things they have done well and tested previously. So it's not 1st gen, things like the keys, even the screen, that's used on other products.

But I agree that, most people don't need the Max, it would be overkill.

Well also unless you have a dedicated graphics workflow of MAC software then I do not see how the extra GPU power will benefit you. in the 'old days' having an up-speced GPU in the 15inch was great if doing bootcamp and windows games.

I think loosing windows etc will be a hill to climb for some to scrap their existing 13,15 and 16inch machines.

Back
Top Bottom