Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Did Apple even say what they compared their GPU performance to are people just guessing?

its pure TF number, but that doesnt really mean anything anyway. There are worse performing GPU's with higher TF number. Probably just some apple fanboys getting over excited over marketing BS

Soldato
I'm interested to see performance on the "lesser" 8-core M1 Pro. Are we assuming 6 high performance cores and 2 efficiency cores? I don't think that'll reach the "70% faster than M1" as advertised, which I assume to have been the 10-core M1 Pro.

Soldato
This is the first MBP that I have really wanted to upgrade to since I bought my 2015 rMBP. My main issue is that my existing machine is still going strong…

You'll love it. I went from a 2015 rMBP to an M1 Air, and it's lightyears ahead of it in terms of speed, and daily use, and battery life. The 2015 was the last of old design too. I know mine is an air vs rMBP, but the difference is size and weight was considerable.

My 2015 MBP was still going strong too, but the display had started losing coating around the edges.

Soldato
I'm interested to see performance on the "lesser" 8-core M1 Pro. Are we assuming 6 high performance cores and 2 efficiency cores? I don't think that'll reach the "70% faster than M1" as advertised, which I assume to have been the 10-core M1 Pro.
Me too. Aside from the bump in screen size it may be worth the extra £500 to go for the 16 based on performance alone.

Associate
You don't need the max unless doing graphics work.

I suspect the 8core to be gimped somehow. Theres always a dodgy model in the line up like when the Touch Bar models, some only had high speed TB on one side and lesser CPU fans.

Last edited:
Soldato
You'll love it. I went from a 2015 rMBP to an M1 Air, and it's lightyears ahead of it in terms of speed, and daily use, and battery life. The 2015 was the last of old design too. I know mine is an air vs rMBP, but the difference is size and weight was considerable.

My 2015 MBP was still going strong too, but the display had started losing coating around the edges.

Obviously technology has moved on since 2015, the premier iPhone at the time was the 6S which looks pretty old hat compared to the 13 now! I would expect the new laptops to have a similar leap in both performance and looks. I’m a sucker for ports and wires and I am extremely pleased that the new mode has mag safe!

21 hour battery life is surely a great reason to go for the larger model… the price is unsurprisingly reflective of the improved performance.

Soldato
I'm disappointed that the Max with mOaR CoREs is quite so expensive. I have a Threadripper desktop and wanted something suitably beefy for my new laptop as well (lots of VM stuff, networking stuff etc). I glumly slide back toward looking around the base models... Then I remember I'm still rocking a 13" mid-2012 MBP with a Core i5, 16GB RAM (but it only really uses 8GB except for VMWare) and an old Samsung SSD. Admittedly, despite its age I'm really anal with my tech, and it only leaves the house in a soft case to go on annual holidays with me, so it's literally brand new to look at and touch/use. Not a mark on it.

The base 16" should be a very nice and substantial upgrade in reality. Almost everything I do is network storage based, bar local VMs, so 512GB is ample for me. The M1 Pro will probably feel like a rocket ship in comparison to what I have now (which, admittedly, is still actually surprisingly light and fast running Catalina tbf). :p The only thing that really bugs me is the lack of Ethernet - WiFi 6 or no, it's not going to replace wired for me. With the extra ports to spare and the fact my laptop is mostly docked/desktopped, a dongle for Ethernet isn't a dealbreaker.

Back
Top Bottom