• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Caporegime
you're being too suspicious here. Yes, those and Dota, LoL are the best gaming IPC markers.
But they are showing an actual slower and equal results there.

From those results, I would pick F1 as representative.
Valid +8% looks like a win. And a masive improvement over their own previous gen.

Except its the 5.2? GHz top end SKU 12900K. You can expect 5800X to match 5950X in most games. Good luck getting same mileage out of 12600K and 12700K, gimped by smaller cache and lower boost

From a quick glance in phoronix, ther have been linux kernel patches for Alder Lake power management and integrated graphics. But nothing about thread director or big.little

Yeah i would agree F1 2021 is the most representative, SoTR, that's tokenism.

This is the slide Intel used to show Rocket Lake better than Zen 3, you look at that and think "yeah its not fantastic but Rocket Lake defiantly has Zen 3 beat" of course we now know it doesn't, the previous generation Intel CPU has Rocket Lake beat and Zen 3 beats that by a wider margin than Intel are showing Rocket Lake beating Zen 3 here.

Intel's performance slides are always completely contrived, one might say the same about AMD and yet their Zen 3 gaming slides were ridiculously sandbagged.

Intel's latest slide is padded out with half of it being the same thing and while that is ligitimate padding a slide to the extend where only about 20% is a kin to representative gaming to me smacks of hiding something.

fWvjzhc.jpg

Soldato
Is the top-end Zen 3D-V cache 6950X expected to have a lower TDP than the 12900k? Only interested in a new CPU for gaming so DDR5 and PCIE 5.0 doesn't really interest me the boards and RAM would cost a fortune.

Has anyone reliable disclosed Intel’s power use figures? I seen some say the 12900K can pull upto 400watt.

Associate
top-end Zen 3D-V cache 6950X expected to have a lower TDP than the 12900k
there is zero information about it.
As it is expected to work on existing AM4 motherboards, it is very likely it will have same power profile as 5950X, so yes, lower than Intel.

Has anyone reliable disclosed Intel’s power use figures? I seen some say the 12900K can pull upto 400watt.
400w was quoted from all-core overclock
but the "stock" boost behaviour is expected to go same route as 11th gen, where boost will massively exceed the TDP (from videocardz, TDP 125W boost 241W)
and I think there was increased requirements for cooling published as well

Soldato
there is zero information about it.
As it is expected to work on existing AM4 motherboards, it is very likely it will have same power profile as 5950X, so yes, lower than Intel.

400w was quoted from all-core overclock
but the "stock" boost behaviour is expected to go same route as 11th gen, where boost will massively exceed the TDP (from videocardz, TDP 125W boost 241W)
and I think there was increased requirements for cooling published as well

Yeah, 240 watt is a lot to cool. That will get toasty especially with most coolers being profiled for AM4 for past 5 years.

Intel would probably be wise to ship a Alderlake specific cooler.

Caporegime
The 5700XT was perfectly fine i had no complaints of the GPU its self, this moving from it to a 2070 Super, i prefer AMD's Drivers, much more.

It was the Cooler, it was an ASRock of some description and that cooler was shocking. I switched back to Nvidia because the Gaming X has a huge fat cooler with large fans, the MSI 5700XT had a cheaper cooler on it.

Soldato
The 5700XT was perfectly fine i had no complaints of the GPU its self, this moving from it to a 2070 Super, i prefer AMD's Drivers, much more.

It was the Cooler, it was an ASRock of some description and that cooler was shocking. I switched back to Nvidia because the Gaming X has a fat cooler with large fans, the MSI 5700XT had a cheaper cooler on it.

Im a big proponent of the AMD reference versions. Would love to be able to buy RX 6700XT with a version of the AMD ref 5700 cooler.

Soldato
RDNA 2 Reference coolers are pretty good, universally Reviewers rate it good, looks good too, i think AMD finally got the message but AIB coolers, when done right are always going to be best.

I’m most cases (chassis) a blower style heat sink and fan has lot of advantages. I dropped super lucky and managed to buy and actually receive a RTX 3080! but I had too completely overhaul my cooling to deal with the heat the RTX 3080 dumps into the case. Heat soak was a big problem.

Back
Top Bottom