A growing trend in trolling teachers

Soldato
Could this become a major problem resulting in less people applying for teaching careers resulting in either teacher shortages or lower quality teaching staff.
Fewer people... and with that, I'd say it's already happening! :p

Headteacher at my daughter's school is really fair and a thoroughly decent chap, but extremely intolerant of bad and disruptive behaviour, runs a very tight ship, so if it continues the offending kids are not gonna last long.
Expulsion will just result in more errant 'urban youth' bell-ends hanging on street corners, dealing drugs, stabbing grannies for a fiver and the like.
You want them to stay in school and grow up... or to go do something useful like clearing land mines from a third world nation.

Caporegime
At our school the French Teachers cas, Citroen 2cv was carried out of the car park and hidden at lunchtime. Youngsters of today seem mild in comparison!

Associate
Fewer people... and with that, I'd say it's already happening! :p

Expulsion will just result in more errant 'urban youth' bell-ends hanging on street corners, dealing drugs, stabbing grannies for a fiver and the like.
You want them to stay in school and grow up....

Completely agree kids should stay in school, if the offending pupil takes on board any disciplinary action and reverts their behaviour to align with the accepted school code of conduct, but you'll always get the idiots who have no moral guidance from their peers and continue to be a disruptive nuisance, and in this case I've got no issue with expulsion if it means the kids who want to learn are given the environment to do so, without being disrupted by the minority who don't give two hoots.

Soldato
The teachers these days need to be made of tough stuff. Lot of kids don't have much respect these days.

I watched a video the other day of a kid in the US, he sounded about 12, asking the teacher on camera if he could have sex with her. No respect.

Soldato
As someone that knows a few teachers, I could never do it. The **** they go through for the pay they get is absolutely disgusting.

Soldato
The teachers these days need to be made of tough stuff. Lot of kids don't have much respect these days..
Looking back to when I went to school in the 80s, we were terrible to some teachers as well. Setting light to gas taps in science lessons, doing things like everyone humming at a certain pitch so the teacher couldn't single anyone out "What? it's not me!" and other things.

Kids are little ****s, it's not a new thing. Unfortunately the punishments are a less harsh now.

Permabanned
A friend interviewed a teacher at school, recorded it all, then edited the replies to make out the answers were to some pretty lewd and dodgy stuff. Luckily no social media at the time and it only went round our peer group. :cry:

Social media has escalated these things to another level sadly.

Soldato
That isn't 'trolling', that's just kids being dicks.
I’ve no idea what trolling actually is anymore, I’m sure it was originally people who posted stuff in forums just fishing for a reaction but these days any form of online abuse seems to be labelled trolling the word has definitely been usurped by the modern media. I once called out a bbc blog for describing upgrading a PC as hacking the author replied saying that it was hacking to his readers no attempt at education!

Soldato
Kids can be far meaner then I have ever seen an adult behave.

I had a teacher as a neighbour about 6-7 years back, and we had some of the children she teached come down trying to throw bricks through windows etc.

It was serious enough that police actually attended and even setup cameras, however when one was caught the usual soft treatment happened and he was sent home, nothing else done.

She had to move, and after that the rest of us had peace again.

I always find it amazing when children are referred to as innocent darlings.

Soldato
I remember a teacher throwing chairs around and yelling when I was only around 6-8 years old
The kid he was raging at ran out of school :eek:
then a little bit later his mum came in and attacked the teacher :cry:

the teacher didn't even get sacked lol

when was caning banned? wikipedia suggests 1987 lol... guess I go lucky to still be at primary school

there must be people on this forum who got caned at school? :p

I never got caned, as I understand it, it got banned just before I was at an age where it might have happened, it feels like since it got banned all means of controlling children at school age has gone.

Soldato
As someone that knows a few teachers, I could never do it. The **** they go through for the pay they get is absolutely disgusting.

My elder sister went through uni, learnt history and wanted to be a history teacher, but then she realised she would be teaching teenagers, as primary school and infants is more about reading, writing and maths. That put her off completely.

Soldato

The hours worked are obscene as well, my ex taught english and media at a high school and she was getting up at 6am, doing work before she went in early, then she'd be spending 3/4 hours in the evenings getting lesson plans setup and marking homework. Weekends were mostly a write off at least one day and as for the supposed 6 weeks they get off in the summer, doesn't happen. There are courses to attend, new terms to plan for, classrooms to outfit, it's a relentless and unforgiving job.

The salary looks good on paper but divide it up by actual hours worked and it's less than minimum wage.

Permabanned
From my school days:

(Taffy) Jones, supply teacher from the Rhondda. Young, wet, naieve, no self confidence. Set fire to my desk, crossed the plug leads on his Beetle, and got a bint from the high school to walk into one his lessons in a micro skirt and loudly proclaim she was up the tub. We basically ran amok in his classes. I'd like to apologise if I ever met him again and he's still alive, he was a decent bloke given hell, often as not by me...

Welsby, PE teacher. Rugby player, built like a tank, reputed to do some debt collecting on the side, probably a true sadist. One's neck hairs stood on end if he was within striking distance, there was nothing he liked better than delivering a slap around the head with all his force, or the swish of a cane, delivered with relish and probably an erection.

Hitting people came first, for the most trivial of reasons, teaching P E was probably just a means of access to those terrified of fighting back. His classes were usually either totally silent or sycophantly respectful, (and grateful to disperse uninjured).

Kids know right from wrong and very often the fear of physical punishment or harm is all that separates the two.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Isn’t that mainly what trolling is?

By the modern definition it's anything done online.

I’ve no idea what trolling actually is anymore, I’m sure it was originally people who posted stuff in forums just fishing for a reaction but these days any form of online abuse seems to be labelled trolling the word has definitely been usurped by the modern media. I once called out a bbc blog for describing upgrading a PC as hacking the author replied saying that it was hacking to his readers no attempt at education!

Trolling used to be an art form IMHO. Now it's just boil things down to their most basic forms for easy consumption.That hacking thing is hilarious.

Maybe if we actually called things what they are and not just "trolling" people will held more accountable, because lets face it a lot of what people call "trolling" is just abuse/being a **** and if people acted like that in real life they would be smacked in the chops.

Caporegime
My sister was a teacher in a inner London city school.
She lasted about 3 years.
Constant abuse, physical violence, a complete inability to actually do anything About it.
Then working till 10pm most evenings after school hours marking and preparing upcoming lessons.
Thankless hell on earth job.
Zero respect. Must be 100x worse now.

Soldato
A friend interviewed a teacher at school, recorded it all, then edited the replies to make out the answers were to some pretty lewd and dodgy stuff. Luckily no social media at the time and it only went round our peer group. :cry:

Social media has escalated these things to another level sadly.

Here lies the crux of the matter. I’m in my 30s and was at secondary school just in time for the mass adoption of dumb phones. They were problematic back then to say the least and allowed the mass proliferation of rumours, bullying and general bad behaviour via SMS.

Smartphones just take it to a whole new level. I don’t think what they are doing is really any different to what was done when I was at school (perhaps done more creatively with modern tools!).

The key difference is that during the old dumb phone days (and pre phone days when it was on scraps of paper being passed around), it tended to stay within the groups of people it intended to stay within e.g. that small social circle.

The issue is now posting something which suggests someone is sexually attracted to children on the internet which is then shared widely and propagates around everyone in the local area can have a huge impact on that individual. Some of these posts have millions of views world wide and because everything is so connected the abuse ends up being endless and you start showing up in Google searches under that topic etc. Once it’s viral, the internet doesn’t really forget. The latter could have a real impact on someone.

Soldato
The issue is now posting something which suggests someone is sexually attracted to children on the internet which is then shared widely and propagates around everyone in the local area can have a huge impact on that individual. Some of these posts have millions of views world wide and because everything is so connected the abuse ends up being endless and you start showing up in Google searches under that topic etc. Once it’s viral, the internet doesn’t really forget. The latter could have a real impact on someone.

Yep this bit is far worse.

I got bullied at school, but once it was 3pm, weekends, holidays etc. it was all gone. But imagine now days its 24/7 and all very public.

We also had rumours about certain teachers etc. but again like you said it was all contained within the school. Maybe even in the classroom so a teacher isnt embarrassed in the staffroom.

Back
Top Bottom