• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The (Ada) Lovelace architecture Thread.

Man of Honour
OP
New spec leaks from Kope and Grey

AD102, RTX4090 built on 5nm

12 GPC clusters vs 7 for RTX3090
72 TPC clusters can 42 for RTX3090
144 SM units vs 84 for RTX3090

All of this = 18432 cores vs 10752 for RTX3090

Clock speed = currently the card is reaching 2.2ghz in testing

Memory: 24gb of 21gbps G6X on 384bit bus (basically same as rtx3090 just a bit higher bandwidth).

compute Performance: 81tflops of peak FP32 @ 2.2ghz vs 36tflops for RTX3090

gaming performance: unknown yet (no drivers that runs games yet)

Just using a bit of common sense says those specs are not accurate.

By the time this new card launches it will be packing more than 24gb of VRAM and it will be running noticeably faster than 21gbs.

Also more Cores does not always equal the same proportional increase in performance. You only have to look at the 3080 compared to the 3090 for example.

Man of Honour
OP
I am guessing 50% at least, as they will need to compete with AMD's MCM design.

It may be as low as 20%, we don't know how AMDs design will run either.

I think buying a new MCM card will be risky as it's new tech and we could see all sorts of problems like Space Invaders (2080Ti), stuttering, poor reliability, poor cooling and terrible drivers.

Having said that it maybe the best thing ever.

Soldato

I think buying a new MCM card will be risky as it's new tech and we could see all sorts of problems like Space Invaders (2080Ti), stuttering, poor reliability, poor cooling and terrible drivers.

The only real issue I see with MCM is support. Support from Windows/whatever OS you are running, proper drivers and of course support from games in the extend its needed. I'm fairly confident that the hardware itself is going to be solid. Time will of course tell :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

For me it will depend on RT performance. If say the 4070 has 3080 performance, but much better RT, come with 16GB then I would be on board with that. But I suspect better than 20% uplift in rasta.

Are they going 5nm Samsun or TSMC? If the latter than it will be a huge uplift in performance right there.

Soldato
Just using a bit of common sense says those specs are not accurate.

By the time this new card launches it will be packing more than 24gb of VRAM and it will be running noticeably faster than 21gbs.

Also more Cores does not always equal the same proportional increase in performance. You only have to look at the 3080 compared to the 3090 for example.

Yea I know, it's about a year from release the specs can and will change. Look at al the 3080ti leaks - Nvidia was changing the specs on that card every 3 to 4 weeks.

I also think the vram will change, I'm not yet convinced that 1Tbps bandwidth is enough to feed 18 thousand cores.

If it's fundamentally the same architecture as Ampere then the performance shall be roughly half the core increase - so 80% increase in cores shall = 40% increase in game performance. But the architecture may not be the same they may adjust the layout in the SM

Last edited:
Soldato
With the rumours this will be x3 faster than a 3090, I feel this launch is a case of sprinting to the finish (managing to acquire a 4090) first. Hopefully no more expensive than 3090 currently. I'll have to sell my 3080Ti in advance if there is thiss much hype on the 4090

Soldato
With the rumours this will be x3 faster than a 3090, I feel this launch is a case of sprinting to the finish (managing to acquire a 4090) first. Hopefully no more expensive than 3090 currently. I'll have to sell my 3080Ti in advance if there is thiss much hype on the 4090

There has never been a card 3x faster than previous. It will be the same 20-30% increase as always.

Soldato
Have a bag of salt ready....

Rumor Mill: Next-Gen AMD and Nvidia GPUs Will be 500W Monster Cards

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...md-and-nvidia-gpus-will-be-500w-monster-cards

According to a Twitter account that posts rumors about upcoming tech, the next generation of GPUs from both AMD and Nvidia are going to be unlike anything we’ve ever seen before, both in terms of raw power and power consumption. The Twitter user @greymon55 has listed possible specs for what could be upcoming GPUs from both camps, and though they are obviously just rumors at this point, they point to what could be a massive leap forward for both companies, with the flagship cards effectively offering more than twice the power of today’s tentpole products.

Starting with Nvidia, the tipster indicates the upcoming Ada Lovelace AD102 GPU will be built on a 5nm process from TSMC, which is a big change since its current Ampere GPU lineup was produced on Samsung’s 8nm process. TSMC’s 5nm process is responsible for the impressive Apple SoCs used in both its iPhones and its new M1 Pro and Max silicon. It should be packing a whopping 144 streaming multiprocessors, which compares to 82 in the current RTX 3090. It could also have 18,432 CUDA cores, which is a 54 percent increase. This rumor lines up with previous rumors from a year ago from a different poster. It should retain its 384-bit memory bus width, and will also continue to use GDDR6X memory. Core clock speeds could hover in the low 2GHz-plus range, but this one area where rumors have fluctuated. The newest leak suggests Nvidia could be able to crank the clocks up to 2.3GHz, resulting in FP32 performance that is simply jaw-dropping, with it achieving between 85 and 92 Teraflops. The RTX 3090 is only theoretically capable of 35 Teraflops, so it would be a gigantic leap forward.

Of course, all that power also means the card will be an energy-guzzling behemoth, most likely. This particular leaker suggests AD102 could consume somewhere between 450-650w at peak, and we’ve heard similar rumors that the card could end up somewhere around 500w. This is also a pretty large jump from the current maximum, which is 350w for the RTX 3090. The previous generation of GPUs all maxed out at 250w, generally speaking.

In the AMD camp, the rumors are heating up as well, pardon the pun. Dubbed RDNA 31 aka the RX 7900 XT, the next flagship GPU from AMD is switching from a monolithic design (which Nvidia will apparently be sticking with for Ada) to a Multi-Chip Module (MCM) layout that’s similar to what it’s currently using in some of its Ryzen and Epyc CPUs. According to WCCFTech, AMD will be dropping Compute Units (CU) in favor of Work Processor Groups (WGP), and the MCM will feature a Graphics Core Die (GCD) and a Multi-Cache Die, the former coming from TSMC’s 5nm line, and the latter from its 6nm process. With two GCDs per card, it equals 7,680 cores per GCD, and 15,360 cores total, which compares to 5,120 “streaming processors” in the current RX 6900 XT, but with such a radical change in architecture, comparisons between new and old are becoming less meaningful.

Rounding out the specs will be up to 32GB of GDDR6 on a 256-bit interface, 256MB of Infinity Cache per module for a total of 512MB of on-die “3D” cache, and clock speeds hovering in the mid-2GHz range. This could allow the GPU to achieve a theoretical FP32 performance of around 75 Teraflops, which is lower than the rumored power of Nvidia’s Ada card, but FP32 prowess doesn’t directly translate into gaming performance. Finally, the rumor monger says they have no data about total board power, but they think it’ll be between 350-550W.

To summarize, we know these are just rumors and they could be wildly off the mark, but rumors like this are all that has been coming through the transom for some time now, and they match leaks from almost a year ago as well, so our anticipation level is definitely high for these GPUs. Also, the most interesting question these GPUs introduce is one OP wrote on twitter, “Double performance, double power consumption, can you accept it?” Our answer? Oh, hell yes we can.

Soldato
Most people cant vent 500w from the case without some serious fan noise.
External gpu box may need to be thought of for future gpus

most people don't need to buy a 4090, and those who can afford can sure as heck afford any case, cooler or fan needed to manage the heat

Soldato
:confused:

I don't think for a minute the increase will be 3x, but last gen alone was greater than 20-30% from the previous.

An oc 3090 was 50% faster in some games over a 2080ti (remember they got a lot of stick for the 2080ti performance over 1080ti and they also knew AMD had something too, without that would have been same increase as always, they even had to move their cards up a tier because of AMD), in work based apps it could be 2x but under certain tasks only. They (Nvidia CEO) also classed it on the 3000 release as their largest performance increase ever.. Add salt not true as way way back they use to do more % increase over previous gen and that was because ATI back then would bring out something to make them do that. Them days are sadly done. We have only been getting really 20-30% increase, on the lower tier cards usually less. 2080ti to 3080 is really 25-35% max increase depending on game and sometimes less again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom