The English Channel

Associate
This is why Australia dump them all on an island. Or they sit in a migrant camp forever here. Until they are traced or actually own up to who they are.

Can't just let unknown people loose inside the country, they might be wanted criminals or dangerous. Can't always send them back.

France etc seem to think that once they set off on their boats it's no longer their problem, so they aren't doing much about it.

1/ As others have already said, these people have no obligation under international law to seek asylum in the first safe country they reach.
2/ As others have already said, most of the people from French speaking parts of Africa tend to stay in France or Germany. Those that you see in and around Calais yes include some of those people but a lot of from Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran etc. A lot will speak English (or some), many have family members in the UK.
3/ The UK isn't seen as a light touch to asylum seekers by most people. Benefits are awful in comparison to many other EU countries, ability to work, learn etc is very limited and something that takes a long time.
4/ UK is still seen (amazingly, somehow) as somewhere safe, law and order and a good society. You can thank decades of UK TV, Musicians, historians, books etc for that. If you travel more around the world you'll notice just how much UK (and of course US) culture has permeated through.
5/ UK has taken nothing like the number of asylum seeks that France and Germany has.

The simple answer to all of this has already been said. Set up a processing facility in France and people claim asylum there. But oh no we can't do that, because a) the government can't even provide enough customs officers for Ferries, Eurotunnel or half the airports in the UK as it is, b) would mean providing an actual solution so no longer can the government blame the migrants for all the wrongdoings in the country and c) removes Priti Patel's reason for being in government.

This is why France does what they can, but not everything they can. Because there is a solution but the UK refuses to do it.

Soldato
5/ UK has taken nothing like the number of asylum seeks that France and Germany has.

No, over the last few decades we have taken way more...

And with far less space than those countries. We have spent far more on forign aid than France (and the EU themselves) too.

Soldato
Love how France are trying to shift the blame onto us. How the **** is any of this our fault? What are the they trying to blame us for, France/The EU not being considered safe enough for these people to legally apply for leave to stay or France's own inaction to clear their beaches of these people and put them through the official channels (no pun intended)?

Soldato
Love how France are trying to shift the blame onto us. How the **** is any of this our fault? What are the they trying to blame us for, France/The EU not being considered safe enough for these people to legally apply for leave to stay or France's own inaction to clear their beaches of these people and put them through the official channels (no pun intended)?

Priti Patels just as bad her response is blame the French while as usual nothing changes. Storms predicted for the next days ahead wonder how many more will go down.

Caporegime
No, over the last few decades we have taken way more...

What?

Who are you including in that figure?

Germany refugee statistics for 2020 was 1,210,636.00, a 5.58% increase from 2019.

Germany refugee statistics for 2019 was 1,146,682.00, a 7.79% increase from 2018.

Germany refugee statistics for 2018 was 1,063,835.00, a 9.63% increase from 2017.

For comparison 26,000 people have come to the UK by boats this year.

Soldato
Pick them up sail round the horn and drop them off. Pay the African nations to house them. Cheaper than paying the french to do bugger all.

Do not pass go

Soldato

If you were French you'd be loving it though, right?

Soldato
What?

26000 too many and that just washing ashore that doesn't include the ones who sneak in in lorries.
We had a dozen Jump out of lorry at work recently.

We need to make it very inconvenient for economic migrants (note not refugees)

Soldato
I wonder how removal rates compare to other countries?

I wish we had more stats that we can compare.

I have no idea. I've only seen numbers on applications, and numbers granted asylum. I would guess removals are low everywhere.

All countries probably face similar issues on removing people to country of origin.

Soldato
What?

The German numbers you quoted are cumulative, not single year. Single year figures are here, and around 100-150k a year.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/911527/number-first-asylum-applications-germany/

German numbers have increased hugely since 2012, which is odd. Prior to that, they are comparable to the UK.

In 2021 the German rejection rate is around 60%.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/912110/asylum-application-decisions-germany/

Soldato
I thought that was obvious? Nobody thinks Germany is taking a million refugees per year.

But we didn't take "way more" than Germany for "the last few decades"

Meh, someone will look at those and think they are annual, so better to be clear. To be clear, Germany did receive close to a million in one year, fairly recently.

I don't think I have ever claimed that?

Back
Top Bottom