How do I share my Synology with a friend who uses KODI?

Man of Honour
As title because I've tried everything.
If I can give him a share in a Web Browser then surely I must be able to set it up on KODI!

What I have done:
Went into my Synology software, right clicked on a folder and shared it where I get eg http://gofile.me/4HGDV/LSFqzwPoh (you should see something in there).

So I've tried to setup an HTTP share with the above address with no luck.
When the above URL is linked to it becomes this -
https://gofile-3448474456.de8.quickconnect.to/fsdownload/LSFqzwPoh/Test
but once again no luck with that on an HTTP share.

Any ideas please?

Associate
I have never used it but this sounds like the thing people use Plex for.

Other way to do it using Kodi is probably VPN into your network and then SMB share.
If I was to go that way firewall rules to limit access just to the NAS would be sensible.
All a bit of a faff though.

Soldato
Unless you have the bandwidth, this could end badly - Kodi plays, it doesn't transcode, so if the remote client plays a 50GB 4K REMUX that tops out at 100MB/s in certain scenes, you need to upload the full 50GB, unless you have symmetrical gigabit, that's not going to end well. Your friend either needs to add the share as a source including a method for authenticating, or map it as a drive on the system he uses. TBH it's a job much better suited to Plex, Kodi even has a Plex add-on.

Soldato
If you don't want to use workarounds, what about setting up VPN on the synology. Then all network shares will become local. Don't know how well SMB would work though

Emby, Plex or jellyfin are the best options though for internet streaming

Soldato
I don’t really know Kodi as I haven’t used it for ages but the types of urls you’re listing will require Kodi to use WebDAV. Maybe this forum post helps diagnose: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=354570 looks like they were trying to do what you want.

Regardless, no way I’d be doing it this way. Plex runs on Synology AFAIK and I’d be using that. Better experience, better security and control over not getting your upload hammered by people playing your media remotely.

Soldato
Technically Kodi can do it, it just needs to see the data as a source, but as pointed out, it’s not ideally suited to what you are trying to do.

Soldato
i have kodi on my phone and vpn server at home so when phone connects to vpn kodi sees the nas drives attached and can play vids from them. using windows server rras for vpn-ing

Permabanned
HTTP share like that won't work because of the way it re-routes through the synology servers.

Best way is VPN as mentioned above.

Easiest way is to setup FTP access, then you only need to setup port mapping & you can add the ftp source to Kodi... I did this for streaming straight from a seedbox.

Back
Top Bottom