No display on laptop

Soldato
Been asked to look at a laptop compaq CQ61. It has no display, I've connected it via vga cable to my monitor and nothing. The fans spin and light come on, also 2 of the led lights blink about every 1 or 2 seconds but no display.

I could try a different stick of ram tomorrow other than that I assume it's a faulty mobo?

Soldato
Been asked to look at a laptop compaq CQ61. It has no display, I've connected it via vga cable to my monitor and nothing. The fans spin and light come on, also 2 of the led lights blink about every 1 or 2 seconds but no display.

I could try a different stick of ram tomorrow other than that I assume it's a faulty mobo?

It's a junk laptop, you can buy them on ebay starting from £10, if there is any data on it then stick the drive in a usb caddy copy the data they need and pull the ram,cpu,psu and drive and rest in the bin. They are worthless and known for their issues like no video or suddenly they never power up again. Cheaper to buy another one than waste time on trying to repair it.

Soldato
OP
It's a junk laptop, you can buy them on ebay starting from £10, if there is any data on it then stick the drive in a usb caddy copy the data they need and pull the ram,cpu,psu and drive and rest in the bin. They are worthless and known for their issues like no video or suddenly they never power up again. Cheaper to buy another one than waste time on trying to repair it.

It's a friend of my mother's laptop, they want the data but wouldn't mind the laptop fixed as well. Also I can't see this laptop on ebay for £10, maybe some "for parts" at £30.

Associate
Have you tried resetting BIOS (CMOS battery) ?

Worth a shot, appears to be nice and easy. Is it possible someone's been messing in the BIOS and it's not resetting to default after failing to boot ? Bad RAM timings, CPU clocks etc can cause no BIOS boot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom