Looking for some help with my headset/purchase

Soldato
Hello all.

I currently own a Logitech G pro X headset using the included USB card.
I'm looking to improve my sound quality, it's purely for gaming.
I'm playing a lot of Apex legends and finding pin pointing where the footsteps are actually coming from difficult, I can hear them, but only when super close and like I say hard to distinguish where it is.
Would getting a sound card or amplifier help at all? Or am I looking at getting a different headset/setup all together?

Any help and advice appreciated
Thanks

Soldato
What's your budget. But yes, the G6 is a graet buy for £75
I've used it with both AKG702 and now Beyerdynamic 1770 pros. Mic I have a VModa boom pro attached with a mini XLR to 3.5mm female

Soldato
OP
Say £150ish
I was looking at the steel series arctis pro + DAC but thought I could get more out my G pro X instead

I have a razer seiren mini as my mic

Soldato
Just looking at a creative G6, would it be worth the £75 purchase?
At that price it's "Buy while you still can" product for headphone (no 5.1 output) use.
Headphone output is good enough for most headphones you could buy.
And you'll get all the extra features of sound card vs. single purpose fashion "DAC".

Also as rule wouldn't trust any gaming stuff... excepty for them having very high profit margins.
You can even get headphones of actual audio makers for less than many gaming headphones.

Soldato
OP
At that price it's "Buy while you still can" product for headphone (no 5.1 output) use.
Headphone output is good enough for most headphones you could buy.
And you'll get all the extra features of sound card vs. single purpose fashion "DAC".

Also as rule wouldn't trust any gaming stuff... excepty for them having very high profit margins.
You can even get headphones of actual audio makers for less than many gaming headphones.
So I purchased a G6 today, so will try it out with my current G Pro X headset, then look at getting some good quality headphones.
I was looking at DT990 pro's but the open back would be a issue when I'm gaming at night (PC is in bedroom and partner goes bed early)

So any advice on what to look at for say £100-150 would be greatly appreciated

Soldato
I was looking at DT990 pro's but the open back would be a issue when I'm gaming at night (PC is in bedroom and partner goes bed early)
That would be problem unless listening at low SPL.

Fortunately DT770 is very good closed headphone of its price.
I have tested them in shop with some gaming recordings and immersion was very impressive and I've used exclusively open headphones.
Velour pads also help in comfort by making headphones breath some instead of insulating also heat fully.

For differences between versions 80 ohm version has 3m long straight cable and 250 ohm version coiled cable similar DT990 Pro intended for studio use at mixing table.
With USB sound card coiled cable might be advantage, because that 3m long cable needs some managing to avoid it falling to floor.
Though it might put more weight hanging from headphone affecting comfort some amount.

Sound wise they should be very similar with 80 ohm version having slightly more bass and 250 ohm version little less.
(very strong bass is bad for mixing use)
For competitive FPS gaming both would benefit from equalizer profile toning down the bass.
Though Creative's HRTF algorithm is bass neutral, unlike Dolby headphone making horrible bass bloat.

Soldato
OP
That would be problem unless listening at low SPL.

Fortunately DT770 is very good closed headphone of its price.
I have tested them in shop with some gaming recordings and immersion was very impressive and I've used exclusively open headphones.
Velour pads also help in comfort by making headphones breath some instead of insulating also heat fully.

For differences between versions 80 ohm version has 3m long straight cable and 250 ohm version coiled cable similar DT990 Pro intended for studio use at mixing table.
With USB sound card coiled cable might be advantage, because that 3m long cable needs some managing to avoid it falling to floor.
Though it might put more weight hanging from headphone affecting comfort some amount.

Sound wise they should be very similar with 80 ohm version having slightly more bass and 250 ohm version little less.
(very strong bass is bad for mixing use)
For competitive FPS gaming both would benefit from equalizer profile toning down the bass.
Though Creative's HRTF algorithm is bass neutral, unlike Dolby headphone making horrible bass bloat.
Thank you, I'll check out the DT770 than, and get either 80ohm or 250ohm, whichever is cheaper I suppose.

Much appreciated

Associate
My combo here, G6 + Beyerdynamics 770Pro 80.
Tried the 250, would be fin with the G6, but in the odd event using the motherboard or another device, wouldn't be as easy to drive them.

Soldato
I would advise anyone with headphones to get Dolby Access through the Windows store. Atmos makes games much better and the Dolby demo content is excellent. I love 'Nature's fury' and 'Amaze'
My grandad is up in heaven wanting to have a listen :)

He was always into his expensive Hi-fi gear, specifically early Sennheiser headphones

Soldato
OP
I would advise anyone with headphones to get Dolby Access through the Windows store. Atmos makes games much better and the Dolby demo content is excellent. I love 'Nature's fury' and 'Amaze'
My grandad is up in heaven wanting to have a listen :)

He was always into his expensive Hi-fi gear, specifically early Sennheiser headphones
How would that work with the extra features of the G6? Would they clash? I'm a total newbie to adjusting sound, I normally plug them in and away I go lol

So at the moment I'm looking at the DT 770 and 880, anything else to consider?

Soldato
What about the TYGR 300 R? Worth considering as well?
I would personally stay clear of ‘gaming’ headphones. The same as staying away from ‘desktop pc speakers’ they’re usually junk. What makes the 300 Rs ‘gaming’? They don’t even appear to have a mic attached which I thought they would being marketed for gaming

Soldato
OP
I would personally stay clear of ‘gaming’ headphones. The same as staying away from ‘desktop pc speakers’ they’re usually junk. What makes the 300 Rs ‘gaming’? They don’t even appear to have a mic attached which I thought they would being marketed for gaming
Okey doke, I'll get some DT 770 then and see how I get on

Soldato
How would that work with the extra features of the G6?
Creative sound cards come with HRTF and you don't need another.

What about the TYGR 300 R? Worth considering as well?
It's some kind of mix of DT880 and DT990 and would be good sound wise, but open ear cup design leaks noise both ways making it nonoptimal.
(even if without high SPL leak is below keyboard noise)

Soldato
Bit of a thread bump but what mic and how do you use them for gaming?

Also is there a manual way for you to drop the bass down so you can hear footsteps?

My turtle beach ones have just broken and judging from this thread gaming headsets are overpriced junk?

Should add this will be using basic motherboard audio output.

Soldato
Bit of a thread bump but what mic and how do you use them for gaming?

Also is there a manual way for you to drop the bass down so you can hear footsteps?

My turtle beach ones have just broken and judging from this thread gaming headsets are overpriced junk?

Should add this will be using basic motherboard audio output.
I have a seperate mic plugged into headphones. Effectively making audio headphones into a headeset. Mic is a vmoda boom pro.
With my specific headphones it does require a mini xlr to 3.5mm female adapter but many headphones have 3.5mm connectivity.
I had a blue yeti desk mic in the past. Ot pocked up way too much mouse and keyboard clicks though so usekess for gaming. A mate has a desk mic and its sk annoying, i know when his jumping up rocks as i can hear him pressing the space bar! I put him on mute sometimes as keyboard and mouse clicks can get noisy when you’re trying to listen to enemies close by

Back
Top Bottom